UFC 138: 'Leben vs Munoz' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hahaha i do like the word fuck so aggressive but yet so caring. i ment taylor not kelly im a fucking idiot. he was in a car accident so happy he's ok lol

i understand people being pissed that we aint got say jones or any of the big guys but joe rogan put it perfectly there using us as a platform and putting uk guys on the main card so we can cheer and support out guys. love it im super exited for tonight beer and takeaway me thinks and watch leben destroy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

chris-leben-mark-munoz.JPG

brad-pickett-renan-barao.JPG

thiago-alves-papy-abedi.JPG

I'm really looking forward to tonight. Fuck all the negativity, these fights should deliver the goods. Would have been nice to have some 'names' but considering we weren't even supposed to be getting a card here this year it's not a bad lineup imo. The main card could maybe have done with one strong addition (Guida/Bendo would have been perfect) but there's nowt wrong with the fights that are there to me.

Remember UFC 95? That was a UK card, it had a Sanchez/Stevenson main event and people were slagging it off saying it would be shit and lacked stars. It turned out to be a fucking great night of fights.

And on the names thing. UFC 95 got that criticism aswell but when you look back on it now that show featured the likes of Chael Sonnen, Junior Dos Santos, Demian Maia, Evan Dunham and Stefan Struve. None of them were that well known then, nobody was even really bothered about Chael then. Fuck, Dos Santos vs Struve was on the prelims. People would love to see Sonnen vs Maia over here now but back then they were bitching.

So even though this card doesn't have the big names, some of these guys could go on to great things. And as long as the fights are good I'm happy. I can see why some people wouldn't wanna pay to go to it, especially if they have to travel and pay for hotels and shit but if that's the case don't go and just watch it on TV. No need to keep banging on how shit it is and spoil it for the rest of us :D

• Paid Members

Weigh in video

I've gotta say they've done a shit job promoting this show. Hardly any interviews or press stuff at all. Has there even been a Countdown? Rashad signing DVD's in the fruit and veg section of Tescos or whatever isn't enough really is it?

The whole thing sucks. I'd like to point out that my bashing the show isn't a slight on the actual fighters involved, as I'm sure they'll give their all. I'm more disappointed in the UFC in general.

They're charging top dollar for this event, yet they're treating us with contempt basically. No countdown show, no Dana White video blog, nothing.

Ariel Helwani hasn't done anything on his Youtube channel either, and spent most of his show on Monday talking about St-Pierre and Diaz.

In short, no one gives a fuck. Which tells me that despite them making noises about wanting to continue making strides in the UK market what they really mean is they wish to continue giving us as little as possible in return for our money.

The whole thing sucks. I'd like to point out that my bashing the show isn't a slight on the actual fighters involved, as I'm sure they'll give their all. I'm more disappointed in the UFC in general.

They're charging top dollar for this event, yet they're treating us with contempt basically. No countdown show, no Dana White video blog, nothing.

Ariel Helwani hasn't done anything on his Youtube channel either, and spent most of his show on Monday talking about St-Pierre and Diaz.

In short, no one gives a fuck. Which tells me that despite them making noises about wanting to continue making strides in the UK market what they really mean is they wish to continue giving us as little as possible in return for our money.

I think it's more that this is the 2nd to last free event on Spike. It doesn't really matter to the UFC how many people watch it as it's not going to bring in any more money, hence it's not worth them spending a load of money on a countdown show and such.

Also this was an event that pretty much last minute for them, they originally weren't going to have an event here this year due to not being able to find a suitable arena on the correct date, so I guess in their mind they are doing enough just to be bringing as an event.

As for charging top ticket prices, the show is practically a sell out, you can't blame them for charging high prices if they sell. If no-one bought them then they would lower the prices, but they do so...

Agreed.

Agree on pretty much all of that.

I'm sure it'll be a decent show but its just an afterthought for UFC, there isn't a single fight on the card which is of importance to their division.

I'm just glad that more and more people are picking up on the lack of standard we are getting over here with each passing show, which should ideally force UFC's hand to put on a show that UK fans 'can't miss' live in person - but I still don't see them doing that.

It could be UFC 122 all over again.

• Paid Members
I'm sure it'll be a decent show but its just an afterthought for UFC, there isn't a single fight on the card which is of importance to their division.

The winner of Pickett vs Barao should be pretty high up at 135 surely. And Leben/Munoz winner should be fighting a top contenders fight. No immediate number one contender fights but them 2 fights are still pretty important.

UFC don't need to put on "must see" shows over here if the shows they offer sell out every time and make a load of money.

The idea that UFC "owe us" something seems weird. They are a USA based company that occasionally have a show over here. It's not like we are keeping them afloat or anything. The sense of entitlement is a bit weird, in my opinion.

It will almost certainly be a great show, and it's not a PPV or anything. A free night of fights at a reasonable time. Ace!

The winner of Pickett vs Barao should be pretty high up at 135 surely. And Leben/Munoz winner should be fighting a top contenders fight. No immediate number one contender fights but them 2 fights are still pretty important.

The winner of Pickett vs. Barao will still be about 4th in line after Bowles, Faber & Jorgensen though, they'd still need another one or two wins after this - especially if Barao wins as its a harder sell than Pickett.

I wouldn't say Leben/Munoz has any real importance in the long run, Leben is pretty much a gatekeeper in the division now and Munoz is the type of fighter who cracks when against a good fighter. It's just a throwback fight really, no real importance - its just kinda there.

• Paid Members
The winner of Pickett vs. Barao will still be about 4th in line after Bowles, Faber & Jorgensen though, they'd still need another one or two wins after this - especially if Barao wins as its a harder sell than Pickett.

I wouldn't say Leben/Munoz has any real importance in the long run, Leben is pretty much a gatekeeper in the division now and Munoz is the type of fighter who cracks when against a good fighter. It's just a throwback fight really, no real importance - its just kinda there.

Yeah I guess you're right. 135 though, Faber and Bowles are fighting in a few weeks so one of them is getting eliminated. I think if Brad wins they'll try and set up that Torres fight they originally had planned for 130 (providing Torres beats Nick Pace).

Leben vs Munoz yeah I suppose it's kinda just there but still, should be a great fight. I can see the winner fighting the Belfort/Rumble winner which would be a hell of a fight however it plays out. You can't go wrong with a match between any 2 of them 4.

Alves vs Abedi is a fight I never gave much thought to really until the weigh ins and the intense staredown. Abedi is 8-0, and physically he looks the business but he hasn't really fought anyone. Fuck knows how good he really is. They're throwing him straight to the lions here. Should be interesting, Alves needs to get back on track. This Abedi guy could turn out to be a beast and we could have something like the Werdum/Dos Santos situation for all we know. Risky for Thiago.

• Paid Members

i think UFC fans should be grateful that they are getting a show at all, this show was kind of added unplanned. They could easily just skipped over this thing and not given us a show this year.

MMA fans are so ungrateful sometimes, we're having 5 shows in 5 weeks...grab a fucking beer and enjoy.

Archived