Nirvana - Nevermind

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Big Nirvana thing going on at the moment with it being the 20th Anniversary of the bands biggest album Nevermind.

If your around my age (29) and have any kind of interest in music, Nirvana definately must have played some kind of role in your life, the album is without doubt one of the most important rock albums ever released, and whether you love them or hate them there's no denying that the album was a complete game changer and is rightfully seen as a classic.

Anyway's the point of the thread is to see what's your memories of the album are? when did you first hear it? how did it effect you? thoughts on the album now? etc.

I've recently found myself falling back in love with the band again. I was never a mega fan, but they definately pathed my taste in music. It's the cliche thing to say but it all started with Smells Like Teen Spirit, i remember seeing the video and thinking 'what the hell is this shit, i love it!', growing up i think all my friends went through a Nirvana stage, i aint sure if it happens anymore but everyone from the ages of between 14-18 always has a 'rock' stage, and Nirvana more often than not wre a part of it. I had friends who didn't necessarily like rock/metal music but nearly all of them owned one Nirvana album (usually Nevermind).

I think my interest wained around the time of the boom in all the music stations, Nirvana were on constant rotation and i honestly got sick of them (the worst thing i ever did was sit down all day watching music stations, it ruined so much music for me), but on a recent trek to Hammerfest we played Nirvana's Insecticide in the car, it was the first i'd really digested an album in years and it sparked my interest again...nice timing for the 20th Anniversary, so i'll be getting what ive posted below.

_1311743616.jpg

The album is getting the re-issue treatment from next Monday too, i'll be picking it up because i (shamefully and oddly) never owned a copy of the album. The re-issue comes with a bonus disk of goodnes...or if you're the mega fan you can stump up for the boxset, which for

• Paid Members

Yep, similar age to you (I'm 28) and Nevermind played a massive role in my transitions in musical taste, in the early 90's I was only really listening to chart music, pop / dance with elements of rap or ragga (examples being 2 Unlimited, Ace of Base, Culture Beat, Chaka Demus and Pliers, Snap etc). I remember a cousin playing Nevermind to me and it blowing me away. I imagine I would still have found and gotten into rock, grunge and metal anyway but this was definitely the album that sparked it. Without Nevermind I definitely wouldn't have gotten into other similar bands at the time such as the Pixies, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and then onto the heavier side of things with Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax etc.

I still love every track on the album, 'Polly' was the first song I ever learned to play on guitar and 'Drain You' is one of my karaoke staples. To mark the 20th anniversary Rock Band released some more Nirvana tracks too, the whole Nevermind album is already available so they've added 'Heart Shaped Box', 'All Apologies' and 'Rape Me' from In Utero and 'You Know You're Right'

Can honestly say, I let the whole Nirvana thing largely pass us by.

Sure, I've heard the songs etc, but most came way after Nirvana were about.

The clamour for stuff like Muddy Banks of the Wiskah and the Nirvana Unplugged stuff was mental and amongst my mates was bigger than the clamour for all the Oasis B sides and crap at the time.

I dont think that the album was all that, tbf. Its okay and sure tracks like Come as You Are, Lithium and Polly seem to get ignored in a wider sense over Smells like Teen Spirit, but I cant honestly say its brilliant or anything. More that its just there. I prefer In Utero from the Nirvana albums anyway.

Any excuse to post this though is always welcome

• Paid Members

As I was a straight out metaller, with a love for screechy widdly guitar solos, I considered Nirvana incredibly meh, and generally hated having to play Smells Like Teen Spirit in bands to get cheap pops from the audience.

I didn't mind Heart Shaped Box, but I think that was largely down to it giving me another tune to play in dropped D, before which I'd only had Ozzy's No More Tears (which is very screechy and very widdly).

• Moderators

Yeah.. I was more in to straight out metal as well. A lot of my mates were into Nirvana, and they had some nice tunes but the only album I had of theirs was In Utero. I guess it got a fair bit of play but I was never really 'into them' as a band...

Fucking love the first Foo Fighers album though!

Oh yeah.. and Come as you are was the first bassline I learned how to play.. but that's really just because it's piss easy and it was nice to be able to instantly play something recognisable.

Come As You Are was the first song I ever learned on guitar, there were some cracking songs on Nevermind, though I always preferred In Utero as a record. I did and still do really like Nirvana, but nowhere near as much as I like Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and Dave's music with Foo Fighters. 20 years ago though, makes me feel old.

• Paid Members

I was a big Nirvana fan, which is surprising given the fact my music tastes were based around house and other dance genres. I wasn't into metal, rock or grunge- but I became a fan when Nevermind was out. In Utero was my first ever album, pretty cool to say it's your first non?

It was my Dad and Aunties that got me into it. Always looked up to my Aunties- who are twins and only 6 years older than me- as being super-cool. When you're 8 years old and your 14 year old Aunts tell you Nirvana are cool, you take note. They were also well into wrestling, but one of them liked Rick Martel, and at the time I thought he was really shit.

• Paid Members

I listened to Nevermind about 12 years ago for the first time (I'm 22 now) and Nirvana have been one of my favourite bands ever since then.

Interestingly I also started listening to Nevermind again recently and failed to even acknowledge it was the 20th anniversary of it! I still remember sitting in my friends back seat and listening to 'Something in the Way' for the first time and being blown away because it was like no other Nirvana song, I know it's an extremely simple song but it's still one of my favourites.

I was, and still am, a huge Nirvana fan. I'm chuffed to bits on the rerelease - if only for the next generation to experience it.

Like a lot of guys my age (34) it marked a defining period on my youth. I could harp on about Cobain being an urban poet, and them smashing the Seattle scene into the mainstream (Thankyou for AIC, Soundgarden etc), but I won't.

I do, however, agree with a lot of fans that SLTS is the worst song on the album by a country mile.

• Paid Members

Could that be mostly down to over-exposure? To be honest, I would never go out of my way to listen to that track, because I've heard it enough to last me a lifetime. Same goes for most 'big' release tracks from albums.

In Bloom is my personal favourite, or Breed.

• Paid Members

already here your reading how many people learned to play guitar to Nirvana, i was the same (although i stopped learning after about a year)...goes to show how influential their music was, i think alot of it was down to the simplicity of it all. So many people in everyone's new favourite bands were the same, many musicians simply wouldn't be musicians if it wasn't for this album.

Archived