Nirvana - Nevermind

Egg Shen

I've never actually owned Nevermind for some reason or another, although my Father bought me Bleach on tape though and a 6ft Unplugged poster when i was around 13 due to me liking RATM (Parent logic) and i loved them.

I soon got into heavier music though so that may be why i missed it.

I got into Nirvana relatively late at 15/16 (26 now)and to be honest, after all the hype, I was a little underawed and I think that's followed me though to today. Don't get me wrong, I still own Bleach Nevermind and (probably my favourite) In Utero and will often dip into them every now and again but seldom for a whole album. I actually thought about sticking some on the other day, ummed and aah'd about which album and then decided what I really wanted to listen to was Alice In Chains and ended up sticking on Dirt end to end instead. I just find it a bit toothless for what it's meant to be compaired to the likes of Alice In Chains which seems to have a bit more bite, if you'll pardon the repeated dental references, to it if that makes sense.

I guess Nirvana for me are really one of those bands that i'll happily bounce around to in a club or enjoy the odd song of if it comes on the radio or a playlist on my ipod but who I can't really sit down and listen to a whole album.

Yea, they were a huge influence on me, even if I don't listen to them all that much these days. Whilst for a lot of people Nirvana seems to have led them to listen to more grunge bands, for me they opened the door to many of the punk bands I listen to today. I think they are one of those bands where their influence spans so far and as has been mentioned there aren't many people I know who haven't been a fan at some stage.

• Paid Members

See, the whole fringe thing completely passed me by despite being a Nirvana fan. Obviously the grunge boom was fizzling out when i really got into music but ny respect for that genre didn't really start until i purchased Pearl Jam's self titled record when that came out. Then i got into Alice In Chains, Soundgarden etc. I need to delve deeper into it though, theres gotta be so many great bands that just disappeared.

Archived