Google+ Goes Public

robbo9292

Yes guys Google+ is now public, however there is still a little invite thing on there. I've just joined up and you can tell that Facebook has literally now copied most of Google+ but then again Google+ looks like it could be better. I'm currently on both and i see the similarities. So yeah i don't know if people care much but i know there was a lot of hype about it before.

• Paid Members

I thought it went public a while ago. Explains why it's been absolutely dead upto now then. I like the look and the features but unless it gets more users and they sort out the 'search user' function to add people, I can't seeing it picking up too much.

Good timing, as this afternoon Facebook have rolled out another in a series of annoying and pointless updates.

Yeah the new Facebook update and layout is now way too much, its fucking awful to be honest. I don't know about anyone else, but my Facebook is a lot quieter than it was 6 months ago anyway, less people seem to be using it these days.

Add me to the WTF is going on with FB

So what is so different re Google Plus?

Im sick of FB and it appears that many of me mates are fucking off from it as well.

• Paid Members

These new FB updates are pretty much Google+ version of 'Circles'

Now we have lists at the side to drop our existing friends and new friends into. Right now it's one big clusterfuck. My stream is full of the usual people whining and fretting about it.

To be fair i think it is better they have most of their services integrated like you can instantly search a song to post as a status instead of finding it on youtube, getting the link, going to your facebook and sharing it. At least with this its a simple search and click of the video you want to share. Plus you can tell facebook wanted to become Google+ right now they got the whole sharing where you are in your status.

• Paid Members
I don't like Google+ because of how integrated it is with all their other services

To be honest, that's appealing to me. I joined today and saw that you had a tab on the main page taking you straight to gmail and other Google applications/services. I've always stuck with Yahoo mail for shopping/subscriptions/junk etc and msn for personal but to be honest I might just use my gmail account now Google is integrating everything. I hate the fucking routine of checking a million different websites whenever I'm online before I do anything else.

I don't like Google+ because of how integrated it is with all their other services

Crazy foo'

I think that'll win it in the end - the suite of what they offer and its tight integration make Facebook look shite. Plus Google have proven themselves to be a clever company that take their time until they get it right.

• Moderators

Even going public, I don't really see it sticking. Everyone was itching to get on there when it launched, but within a month, it was dead. It just didn't take. From what I could see, Google+ was just being used as another depository for people to dump their links whenever they'd posted a new blog or had something to shill. It'll probably go the same way as Google Wave, no matter how many people are bitching about the new Facebook. Again.

• Paid Members

It's too hard to tell really, isn't it. Although I was quite an early Facebook member (by non-Uni attending Brit standards, that is), it took a while for my mate to convince me to join. My response was 'So how is it better than MySpace?'. He said it was better for photos and whatnot, so I just signed up anyway.

It didn't take long for me to prefer the standard layout rather than the horrible animated .GIF backgrounds on everyones MySpace pages with My Chemical Romance blaring out on that annoying little music player it had.

Then, when Twitter came along, I didn't see the point either. It just seemed like Facebook but with only the status updates and nothing else. But eventually it served a purpose for me.

• Moderators
Then, when Twitter came along, I didn't see the point either. It just seemed like Facebook but with only the status updates and nothing else. But eventually it served a purpose for me.

Maybe, but that whole "I didn't get it, but now I do" thing isn't going to happen every time. I mean, functionally, Facebook and Twitter both do everything that Google+ does, better. Google+ occupies this weird middle ground, where it's really not different enough to those sites, certainly not in a better way, and is a bit pointless.

And while it is ridiculous to ever try and second guess technology, I have a hard time seeing the way MySpace died because everyone migrated over to Facebook happening again, certainly for a while. Everyone's on Facebook. People's dads and nans. MySpace never got bedded in anything close to that far. People have years and years worth of shit on there, in their picture galleries, and on the friendlists they've compiled. I find it really hard to see anywhere near the same kind of exodus happening with this. Even if G+ takes off, it won't be at the expense of anyone cancelling their FB accounts beyond the whining-about-Zuckerberg-247 nerds, it'll just be another site that people use as well as FB and Twitter, but not as much.

It's one for the Delicious crowd, but not beyond.

Archived