The Tea Thread

tom

• Paid Members

124xapd.jpg

So, tea; who doesn't just bloody love tea? What's your favourite brew, and how do you make it? Any strange habits, any types of tea you like best? This is the thread for it all......

A few years ago, for no particularly major reason, I decided to cut caffeine out of my diet completely, and this of course impacted on my tea regime. Now, I tried caffeine-free tea but there's just something about it that makes the taste very unsatisfactory, and that was when I discovered Roobois.

For those of you not knowledgeable about it, it's a naturally caffeine-free brew that also apparently has anti-inflamatory properties, as well as helping to relax you. It can be drunk with or without milk just like any other tea, although in Germany there are some wicked infusions that scent it with black cherry, caramel, vanilla etc. [though, in fairness, you can get vanilla here too] that completely remove the need for milk

• Paid Members

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not one for stuff like Earl Grey, and most fruit teas just taste like water infested with awful weak tastes more akin to cardboard than actual fruit to me, but roobois, without sounding like either a hippy or a tea-knob, is pretty similar to your regular tea, and I've never really minded tea without milk, especially if it's brewed that little bit longer; weak tea can get to fuck. As for the caffeine-free regular stuff, maybe it was just a poorly made version of it in Tesco cafe that's soured me to it

• Paid Members

I had a mate at uni that was in to all manner of weird flavoured tea that came served with neither milk & sugar nor a biscuit. I never really trusted him, or his ethical code. He was one of those vegetarians that ate fish (what kind of principle is that?), stayed in his room making his own (shit) music, hated anything "mass-produced" (apart from his Game Cube) and generally wished he was a hippy, or had something to protest against. He was basically one of the goth kids from South Park banging on about non-conformists, except her preferred beige corduroys to dressing all in black. He was also a musty-smelling virgin that ended up marrying the first girl that let him touch her. He's a lawyer now, obviously doing really well not conforming.

I think I base my irrational mistrust of people who drink "not-normal" tea and their scruples solely on him.

• Paid Members

Fruit tea makes me want to throw up, green tea despite its health benefits is also pretty foul. Regular tea is still the best although I have time for Redbush tea and a cup of Lapsang Souchong every now and again goes down a treat. Have to dedicate a specific mug to that one though as it stinks it out big time.

Never liked regular tea, but I've been all up on green tea for the past couple of years, feels like it's cleansing my system and giving more energy, plus it's caffeine supplements my daily Relentless to keep me going.

Earl Grey isn't bad either, haven't had it in years though, might go and pour a cup now.

• Paid Members

PG tips and nothing else for me. It's the only brew strong enough, and the pyramid bag is a genius invention. Tetley is weak as piss.

I like it white, but very strong and 1 big sugar. The hotter it is the better it tastes. Can't stand a lukewarm cuppa.

• Paid Members

Can't get a good cup here - reduced to having my parents mail me over boxes of Yorkshire Tea Gold.

I had a mate at uni that was in to all manner of weird flavoured tea that came served with neither milk & sugar nor a biscuit. I never really trusted him, or his ethical code. He was one of those vegetarians that ate fish (what kind of principle is that?), stayed in his room making his own (shit) music, hated anything "mass-produced" (apart from his Game Cube) and generally wished he was a hippy, or had something to protest against. He was basically one of the goth kids from South Park banging on about non-conformists, except her preferred beige corduroys to dressing all in black. He was also a musty-smelling virgin that ended up marrying the first girl that let him touch her. He's a lawyer now, obviously doing really well not conforming.

I think I base my irrational mistrust of people who drink "not-normal" tea and their scruples solely on him.

I think I knew him.

• Paid Members

Excellent thread. I like my normal tea with 2 tea bags, splash of milk and half a sugar.

Other teas I love are Chai, peppermint, green, fruits, leafs like nettle and raspberry and lots of other things. If you love tea, I highly recommend Tea Pigs. Their products are just amazing!

Archived