Life's Too Short

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members
Life's Too Short is a joint BBC2/HBO television observational sitcom series currently in development. It is created and written by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, and is described by Gervais as about "the life of a showbiz dwarf", with Warwick Davis playing a fictionalised version of himself. Gervais and Merchant will appear in cameos as themselves.

There's been promo videos floating around for a while now, thought I'd see what people's opinions were on it. Sounds like they've got some great cameos too, Steve Carrell, Johnny Depp, Sting, Helena Bonham Carter, Liam Neeson, and of course Barry off Eastenders.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I know people have a problem with Gervais (mainly the British attitude of hating people who are successful and ubiquitous) but I think he's alright. At least his TV content is funny, unlike a James Corden.

He'll be sticking to his winning formula, so I can see this being at least watchable with a couple of good laughs an episode. Who knows maybe even brilliant.

He's a lovely chap, Warwick, I met him earlier this year. Surprised to see him hopping and also brawling with Ricky, as he didn't seem the most mobile chap.

His manager is a dwarf too. I don't know why I found that strange, but I did.

• Paid Members

Does he still run the agency for dwarf entertainers? I'm pretty sure Freaky Jason mentioned meeting him before, and that he was the friendliest man in the world.

I'll probably give it a watch, but I've long tired of the Gervais routine to the point that it grates on me now. Stephen Merchant came across as a self obsessed unfunny twat when he was on Alan Carr too.

• Paid Members
I had the opportunity to go and watch Steve Merchant live later on this year. I declined because I can't see him pulling off the stand up routine. I find him very funny, but I don't think I will in that environment.

Yeah I'm going to see him in Cambridge in November, not sure what he'll be like in stand up, but I tend to like him in interviews and obviously on the radio and in Extras so thought I'd give it a go.

• Paid Members
I had the opportunity to go and watch Steve Merchant live later on this year. I declined because I can't see him pulling off the stand up routine. I find him very funny, but I don't think I will in that environment.

Went and saw his "work in progress" gig at UCL Bloomsbury earlier this year, and to be honest, he was incredibly natural on stage.

I'm a big Gervais fan, and although his live material does make me laugh, his delivery is so awkward compared with his on screen stuff, but Merchant didnt suffer from any of that, it was one of the better live shows i've seen this year and the encore was absolutely superb.

• Paid Members

Known about this for a while, it's been on the "in production" section of the Comedy guide for ages. Can't wait. Recently rewatched Extra's and it's absolutely glorious on second viewing, particularly series 2 and the special.

There are a few interesting looking comedy series/pilots coming up soon. Love it.

Will be giving this a watch. The Office is probably my favourite comedy ever and even though he's disappeared up his own arse since then, I still like Gervais's humour. Still not got round to seeing Extras, really must put that on my rental list. And having Warwick Davis on board is good too, have liked all the films I've seen him in and judging by his interview on Jonathan Ross last year seems a real genuinely nice bloke as well.

if you havent watched extras yet, youve missed out on a great thing, it has more replayability than the office in my opinion, but then again i think the US Office is far and away better than the original.

ive heard about this for a long time, been downloading the vids and stuff from rickys itunes page, im looking forward to this very muchly. and of course ricky has said it will be 2 series and a special - never change a winning formula.

• 2 months later...

Archived