Life's Too Short

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Loved it, the awkward glance at the camera will never get old for me. Especially loved the scene after the credits with the dog flap.

I like Gervais work but that always fucks me off, I loved it as a David Brent bit but nothing else.

• Paid Members

Just watched on iPlayer, really good stuff and I think it'll only get better. The scenes with Gervais and Merchant (who I didn't realise beforehand were playing themselves) obviously stole it, even more so with Liam Neeson on it too. Always good to see Barry making an appearance too of course.

Warrick Davis seemed to be trying to do his best David Brent impression throughout. It was not bad, the whole aids scene was very very funny. Hope it gets better.

I agree. Personally, I thought you could clearly hear David Brent saying all of Warwick's lines, especially in the scene with his wife at the start of the program,

• Paid Members
Warrick Davis seemed to be trying to do his best David Brent impression throughout. It was not bad, the whole aids scene was very very funny. Hope it gets better.

I agree. Personally, I thought you could clearly hear David Brent saying all of Warwick's lines, especially in the scene with his wife at the start of the program,

That's what killed it for me. It's bad enough that Gervais can only write one style of dialogue but the way Warwick read the lines just made it seem even more uninspiring. At least Steve Carrell found a way to make Gervais's material his own.

I dunno, I have to admit there were a few really good gags in there, and it made me laugh more than most sitcoms, but I just felt that it showed Ricky Gervais up as the one trick pony he really is.

but I just felt that it showed Ricky Gervais up as the one trick pony he really is.

He is yeah, but he's bloody brilliant at it, I loved it. Warwick Davis was very Brent like but he did it fantastically so it doesn't just seem like a knock-off and hey there's nothing wrong with more David Brent style comedy, it's not as if it's the same script.

• Paid Members

Can you really criticise them for writing in their style? Yeah you know what you're going to get but there are few comic writers/comedians that change up their style? You wouldn't critique Stewart Lee for writing another show with repetitive delivery & deconstruction of gags or expect Tim Vine to tour a series of lectures or anecdotal comedy. Calling them one trick ponies is a bit unfair.

Archived