WCW Collision in Korea

TheRandySavage

Heard Flair talk about this. I think North Korea invited Antonio Inoki to put on a wrestling show. Koreans didnkt know it was a work at first but at the live event realized all was not as it seemed. Maybe that's why they've never been back.

Also to note those shows have the biggest pro wrestling live attendances ever I believe with 150,000 night one and 170,000 ish night 2.

Ric Flairs Biography explains it well that most people were likely forced there and he remembers watching thousands walking up together from all sides of the venue. I have watched a match or two and have to say it is one of the weiredest pro wrestling events ever and very insightfull into this closed country

Also to note those shows have the biggest pro wrestling live attendances ever I believe with 150,000 night one and 170,000 ish night 2.

Ric Flairs Biography explains it well that most people were likely forced there and he remembers watching thousands walking up together from all sides of the venue. I have watched a match or two and have to say it is one of the weiredest pro wrestling events ever and very insightfull into this closed country

yeah it is a bit strange does anyone know who set it up was/is Kim Jong Ill a wrestling mark

• Paid Members

The wrestling show was part of a festival, the theme of which was pretty much "Communism is fucking awesome."

Though it's not run there, pro wrestling is well known in North Korea because Rikidozan (who was a wrestling star in Japan about 10 times the level of Hogan, and is actually covered on the history curriculum there) was really North Korean. Apparently this subtly titled book is on sale in almost every book shop there:

i-am-a-korean-rikidozan.jpg

And Inoki can talk himself into any country. He even supposedly negotiated the release of Japanese hostages after the Kuwait invasion in 1991.

The wrestling show was part of a festival, the theme of which was pretty much "Communism is fucking awesome."

Though it's not run there, pro wrestling is well known in North Korea because Rikidozan (who was a wrestling star in Japan about 10 times the level of Hogan, and is actually covered on the history curriculum there) was really North Korean.

But they would not have seen pro wrestling before I'm guessing, but thanks, i'm finding it really hard to find any information on this event. When you say Rikidozan was in the history curriculum do you mean Japan or N.Korea?

Do you know if Kim Jung-il was in attendance? He's quite an elusive figure for a leader of a country.

• Paid Members

The Rikidozan taught in schools is in Japan. It's possibly taught in North Korea (with a different slant), but nobody would really know!

I've got a couple of pieces from the time on the show. One is online here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/st...er-1617345.html

while the other isn't online, so I've scanned it below:

25ire3m.jpg

The Rikidozan taught in schools is in Japan. It's possibly taught in North Korea (with a different slant), but nobody would really know!

Any chance that you have the film based on Riki and his time wrestling? And is it any good?

Am I right in thinking there was a story were Korean officials told Ric Flair to make a statement to America that they had grand weapons and could blow them up if they wanted? Or something to that affect?

I think thats the same time as Muhammed Ali announced in a clear voice (after mumbling all weekend) "No wonder we hate these motherfuckers" at the state banquet.

• Paid Members
Any chance that you have the film based on Riki and his time wrestling? And is it any good?

You can download Rikidozan's biopic from www.asiatorrents.com. Also, check out the Japanese movie "Osaka Wrestling Cafe".

Archived