RIOT!

big mickey

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A point literally nobody has made. You're fighting yourself in this argument!

Untrue. People have been mocking Whiskey all the way through the thread for questioning the reasons behind the riot, rather than urging the police on to break skulls. You said yourself -

"Yeah, fine. But that's not going to help tonight, is it? You seem to have nothing to suggest other than vague future plans for some sort of social rebalancing. Fiddling while Rome burns. I've been a liberal all my life but your blinkered and wet posts in this thread are an embarrassment."

If your point is about context and timing (which it seems to be), then frankly that's pathetic. Read bobbins' post about one brain, one thought process. You can watch events unfold and simultaneously talk about the bigger picture, unless you're a reactionary, hysterical idiot. Which I don't think you are. I think you've got caught up in some of the mob mentality in the thread and have now backtracked a little. That's fine, and to be applauded. But don't make Whiskey out to be the fool because he maintained some balance throughout.

• Paid Members
1707: The BBC apologises for a live interview on its news channel - broadcast on Tuesday - in which presenter Fiona Armstrong accused guest Darcus Howe of taking part in riots. The Corporation said it had not intended to show him any disrespect.

Here's the exchange between Mr Howe - a writer and presenter - and Ms Armstrong:

Armstrong: "You are not a stranger to riots yourself I understand, are you? You have taken part in them yourself."

Howe: "I have never taken part in a single riot. I've been part of demonstrations that ended up in a conflict. Stop accusing me of being a rioter and have some respect for an old West Indian Negro, because you wanted for me to get abusive. You just sound idiotic - have some respect."

I was watching that live. The presenter was totally taken to school by Mr Howe. She seemed to have no idea who she was dealing with. He certainly didn't make it easy for her though. He wasn't really interested in answering her questions. Was pushing his reading of the situation. Laying the blame at the feet of the poor relationship between the authorities and youth.

It was quite painful watching the presenter being crushed by Mr Howe.

Untrue. People have been mocking Whiskey all the way through the thread for questioning the reasons behind the riot, rather than urging the police on to break skulls. You said yourself -

"Yeah, fine. But that's not going to help tonight, is it? You seem to have nothing to suggest other than vague future plans for some sort of social rebalancing. Fiddling while Rome burns. I've been a liberal all my life but your blinkered and wet posts in this thread are an embarrassment."

If your point is about context and timing (which it seems to be), then frankly that's pathetic. Read bobbins' post about one brain, one thought process. You can watch events unfold and simultaneously talk about the bigger picture, unless you're a reactionary, hysterical idiot. Which I don't think you are. I think you've got caught up in some of the mob mentality in the thread and have now backtracked a little. That's fine, and to be applauded. But don't make Whiskey out to be the fool because he maintained some balance throughout.

That quote only serves to amply demonstrate that I can both empathise with the background and focus on the current problems, so it's a pretty terrible example.

I'll be honest, all this whinging from you, bobbins and Whiskey is pretty sad. You're dragging the thread into a he-said, she-said, 24 or 48 hours after the fact. You didn't enjoy the debate, as you seem to have come out in a minority opinion. Fair enough, but I don't think crying about it now is going to change people's opinion. All it's doing is making you look like sore losers.

"whinging", "minority opinion" as a bad thing, "sore losers", etc. is pretty contemptible. So yeah, probably leave it at that, just...

You didn't enjoy the debate.

Not at all. ".... more likely someone will find a way to weld two brains together" was maybe my favourite ever post here. I will be passing it off as my own as soon as I get a chance.

That quote only serves to amply demonstrate that I can both empathise with the background and focus on the current problems, so it's a pretty terrible example.

If you really had any sense of balance, you'd only do the empathise with the background bit. You big closet Tory.

Just seen the incredible statement by Tariq Jahan. I hope I could be so classy and considerate under the same circumstances. What a man.

It's hard to even imagine. The "A day from now, maybe two days from now, the whole world will forget and nobody will care" hit me quite hard.