Why is pro wrestling called pro wrestling?

the stupid dragon

I know this sounds like a painfully dumb thing to ask, though is anyone able to answer this question?

When someone (or something) is amateur it's because they don't get paid to do it and it's a hobby for them, being a professional anything is because you get paid to do it. Getting paid being the key difference. Though with wrestling you can be a professional amateur wrestler and an amateur professional wrestler.

:nerd:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this sounds like a painfully dumb thing to ask, though is anyone able to answer this question?

When someone (or something) is amateur it's because they don't get paid to do it and it's a hobby for them, being a professional anything is because you get paid to do it. Getting paid being the key difference. Though with wrestling you can be a professional amateur wrestler and an amateur professional wrestler.

:nerd:

Who gets paid for amateur wrestling?

On the flip side there should be no such thing as an "amateur" pro wrestler in my view. Anyone who works for free needs their head looked!

Who gets paid for amateur wrestling?

On the flip side there should be no such thing as an "amateur" pro wrestler in my view. Anyone who works for free needs their head looked!

Professional wrestling the clue's in the name: it's a profession, therefore those who do it get paid to do so. Amateur wrestling is wrestling for competitive purposes.

Didn't guys like Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley and Kurt Angle get paid in their amateur days?

Don't some guys work for free when they're just starting out?

The reason I ask, is because a lot of people in the industry are pro wrestlers who don't earn a full time living from it and thus can't call it their profession.

• Paid Members
The reason I ask, is because a lot of people in the industry are pro wrestlers who don't earn a full time living from it and thus can't call it their profession.

Wow. You just love playing devil's advocate, don't you?

I guess it's the same thing as kids in their bedroom doing websites for

Professional wrestling was a term used to distinguish the product from 'wrestling', which most Americans would probably associate with the collegiate sport.

You don't need to confuse the technical definition of the word 'professional' with its purpose in this sense. There are plenty of unprofessional professional wrestlers.

Olypic sportsmen and women get sponsored to train and compete but they don't get paid.

Yeah, that's the thing some of them are making great money from sponsores and if they wouldn't have been athletes they would have never made such a nice profit + I know of athletes that do get pay:

Ariel Ze'evi for example makes a certain amount from the Olympic Committee of Israel for training, traveling and bounses for World/ European championships and of course the Olympics.

• Paid Members
College sportsmen and women don't get paid at all, despite the massive money that gets made off (some of) them.

Olypic sportsmen and women get sponsored to train and compete but they don't get paid.

Indeed, also see Olympic boxing. Amateurs. Hence why there is a surge of talented boxers being signed to pro contracts every four years.

I think the South Park episode with the crack babies a few weeks ago covered this a bit cause it was targeted at how the University's can make money off their athletes but the athletes get paid nothing.

Archived