Why is pro wrestling called pro wrestling?

the stupid dragon

• Paid Members
Indeed, also see Olympic boxing. Amateurs. Hence why there is a surge of talented boxers being signed to pro contracts every four years.

Not entirely true. Most countries now have a tier system in place which in some cases, allows the top performers to earn not just a living, but quite a substantial one for someone participating in something that is meant to be un-paid.

Team GB recieve a lot of finacial support, from the lottery fund. They have different agreements in place, depending on which activity. The coaches and directors of each activity determine who gets how much and how often.

I can't comment on what the participating athletes in track and field events or any other events recieve.

Boxing, however, operates on a system where the top performers, which are those who consistently achieve podium places in major tournaments (or expected to, anyway), this, more often than not, and for Team GB anyway, consists of around 5 or 6 members of the squad. These guys are often medalists in each tournament, and Team GB receives heavy support from UK Sport to ensure the best possible preparation. Boxers on the GB squad will normally earn around

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember that on Eurosport. I thought it was gash, as I was expecting Pro Wrestling, and got folkstyle which bores the arse off me.

Had King Mo on it though.

I enjoyed it me. I thought it was quite fun trying to pick up the rules and scoring system as quickly as I could and score the bouts myself to see if what I understood followed the official line of scoring. I only remember seeing one so called

Amateur wrestling is about sport and competition though pro wrestling isn't sport or competition but art and entertainment, a performing art if you will. How did it get to be called pro wrestling, when regardless of whether or not you get paid it's a completely different type of thing all together. Yes, pro wrestling is still wrestling, though it's predetermind, choreographed showbiz.

Why call it pro wrestling and not entertainment wrestling? Or showbiz wrestling?

• Paid Members
Why call it pro wrestling and not entertainment wrestling? Or showbiz wrestling?

Because there was once a time where the people promoted it wanted to retain some sense of it being real competition. And even in today's world of 'Sports Entertainment' and blurred-lines of reality, it's not something they really want to go shouting from the rooftops.

Given that the system at the time of it's creation certainly was that collegiate wrestlers didn't get paid and were therefore amateur, professional wrestling was an excellent term to distinguish the two.

Going back to the boxing comparison, I've always thought there was an element of the same "no headguards, no holding back, less 'rules'" comparison being made with pro wrestling. As in, "these guys are the elite, they've made it through amateur wrestling, and can live with this even tougher competition."

• Paid Members
Going back to the boxing comparison, I've always thought there was an element of the same "no headguards, no holding back, less 'rules'" comparison being made with pro wrestling. As in, "these guys are the elite, they've made it through amateur wrestling, and can live with this even tougher competition."

Amateur boxing and professional boxing are changing into two different sports more and more as each year goes by, but that's a different argument..

And as for pro wrestling....it's Sports Entertainment, motherfuckers. :p

I know pro wrestling originated from carnivals, where the carnival owners would fix the wrestling contests for the amusement of the audience. Such as a wrestler would challenge "someone" from the crowd and that "someone" would be a wrestler who'd either win or lose or embarrass etc. I find it funny when people say wrestling is treated like a side show attraction, because that's what it was to start with.

From what you guys are saying, it's called professional wrestling because 1) pro wrestlers on the whole get paid, where as amateurs generally don't, and 2) it was a way to differentiate from amateur wrestling.

Shocking fact: pro wrestling used to be legit, and had the same relationship to amateur wrestling as pro boxing had to amateur boxing. It used the style of Lancastrian catch-as-catch-can, which had been popularised in the US by the (partly worked - make the wrestler look beatable, then beat the paying marks) carnivals. Amateur freestyle, greco-roman or collar-and-elbow wrestlers who wished to make a living from wrestling would take it up.

Around 1900 (before I think) the two greatest American pro wrestlers of the day (Frank Gotch (no relation to Karl) was one) thought it would be a tremendous money spinner to fix a best of 3 series. It ended with a double cross, but the work set the trend. By 1920 pretty much everything was fixed.

The legit period of pro wrestling was very short.

Archived