Steve Austin Loves Samoa Joe

fugaziuk

Kidman and Rey had a decent team in WWE, and he was also decent when going for the C/W Title. I remember he wrestled Tajiri on the first episode of Velocity as well and that was a belter. The fued with London was fun. So yeah, even though he wasn't as blatantly awesome as he was in WCW, he was still quite good when he got the chance.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
"He couldnt draw flies in a fleamarket, brother." Kidman was mostly always shit. He had a good team with Rey Mysterio but that isnt saying much. He had by far the most ever one night tournament hard sell push in the history of the business. Really, it was the worst ever example of someone doing jobs the week before suddenly pushed as the next man. He beat Malenko, Saturn and put up a "great effort" (Schiavone's words, not mine) against The Wall. All three matches were shit, and the one against Malenko was memorable because the rules were the person who touches the floor loses, and they didnt tell Malenko before the match and he left the ring in the first tnree minutes to do the "gasping for air" spot and ended up losing. Needless to say Malenko never wrestled for WCW again.

Not to mention the worst SSP in wrestling, and that's including Brock Lesnar.

And a load of bad ones.

Well, any restriction means you are making the talent pool smaller from which you have to try and find your new stars.

There are great wrestlers and shit wrestlers of all shapes and sizes. Talent should be the main thing they are looking for, and that comes in many packages.

If i would of read this a few month ago i would of said simething like"has scsa seen joe as of late, proper out of shape" but after seeing last ppv joe looked anything buy minus the belly mind you but we need more fat people who can wrestle not just flop around in main stream stuff

Well, any restriction means you are making the talent pool smaller from which you have to try and find your new stars.

There are great wrestlers and shit wrestlers of all shapes and sizes. Talent should be the main thing they are looking for, and that comes in many packages.

What do you mean by talent?

And when did they restrict themselves by not having any wrestlers under 6 foot 2 on the books?

• Paid Members
If i would of read this a few month ago i would of

Christ.

but after seeing last ppv joe looked anything buy minus the belly mind you but we need more fat people who can wrestle not just flop around in main stream stuff

EnglishMotherfucker-1.gif

• Paid Members

Ok lads, let's try and break this down.

1) There was a hiring directive by the WWE to only sign people 6'2" or taller. Not that only wrestlers 6'2" or above would appear on TV, but that they would largely only look to hire new talent who met that criteria.

It was dropped quickly as, I suspect, the under-30's directive will be.

2) Your sole qualification for whether or not someone is good at judging talent seems to be whether or not they were Head of Talent Relations for WWE - a post only about 4 people have had in the last decade.

You're wrong, plenty of people have an eye for talent - fans, wrestlers, office workers, network execs, whoever. How about the ROH fans who championed Punk from day one? They obviously saw something in him that took the WWE years to realise was there.

What I'm trying to say is: you can't say Steve Austin doesn't have an eye for talent just because he isn't in charge of hiring and firing in the world's largest wrestling company.

By the same token, you can't say that Triple H does have an eye for talent just because he is - after all, look at all the duds Johnny Ace signed.

What do you mean by talent?

And when did they restrict themselves by not having any wrestlers under 6 foot 2 on the books?

They haven't restricted themselves, it was a hypothetical question that both me a Butch were talking about.

What do I mean by talent? Should be pretty obvious; ideally a combination of some of the traits that might make someone an entertaining and successful wrestler. Whether than is a great look, loads of natural personality, a great deal of wit, massive size, technical expertise etc...

• Paid Members
Ok lads, let's try and break this down.

1) There was a hiring directive by the WWE to only sign people 6'2" or taller. Not that only wrestlers 6'2" or above would appear on TV, but that they would largely only look to hire new talent who met that criteria.

It was dropped quickly as, I suspect, the under-30's directive will be.

2) Your sole qualification for whether or not someone is good at judging talent seems to be whether or not they were Head of Talent Relations for WWE - a post only about 4 people have had in the last decade.

You're wrong, plenty of people have an eye for talent - fans, wrestlers, office workers, network execs, whoever. How about the ROH fans who championed Punk from day one? They obviously saw something in him that took the WWE years to realise was there.

What I'm trying to say is: you can't say Steve Austin doesn't have an eye for talent just because he isn't in charge of hiring and firing in the world's largest wrestling company.

By the same token, you can't say that Triple H does have an eye for talent just because he is - after all, look at all the duds Johnny Ace signed.

In regards to the first point, it's a silly thing to do. The under 30 directive will work out better for the future ultimately as they will likely have to rely on building some stars. Plus it's not like it's an exclusive thing, I mean Kong has already been mentioned as an example. If they have a really great upside at over 30 then I'm sure WWE would be willing to sign them.

Just to keep it on topic, Joe does not have this upside. If they're taking Husky Harris off TV to lose weight then they damn sure will do the same with Joe and Joe's ego wont allow that. Even if he did swallow his pride and accept, he'd have to learn a completely new style because, compared to most of the WWE roster, he'll look pretty small and he works in a semi-monster role most of the time. WWE wont be having him choking people out left, right and center either. Well, they didn't do it for Taz at least.

As for the second point, I'm pretty sure Ian didn't say that Austin would be a bad judge of talent. He said something along the lines of he wouldn't be as good as identifying signings that would be great for business and marketable. Joe is a pretty good wrestler, when he wants to be, but his attitude is lousy and his look is awful. Even Jack Evans has a better shot at getting in WWE at this point I'd argue.

An absolutely excellent, unbiased summary there Hardcore lad. Smashing post my friend.

Archived