Steve Austin Loves Samoa Joe

fugaziuk

• Paid Members

If he got himself in slightly better shape (which you'd imagine wwe would insist on) I could see him being a great signing for them, if he can stay motivated. he's on a fat contract in TNA with nothing to motivate him to make any effort, he's phoning it in at the moment it seems, maybe the challenge of wwe would make that happen.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
He's only been head of talent since April. Where's the evidence of this? I'm sure Batista and Randy Orton (or possibly CM Punk) disagree.

Where's the evidence that he's a better judge of talent than Austin? If the WWE talent spotting and pushing system was perfect we'd never talk about under-utilized talent or wrestlers that have inexplicably been signed and kept their jobs despite being gash.

I'm not saying Joe would make it in WWE, I'm not saying he wouldn't either, but the fact he's not yet been signed doesn't automatically slap a "doomed to failure" label on his forehead.

• Paid Members
He's only been head of talent since April. Where's the evidence of this?

To be fair mate, Vito's technically correct, given the problems with Sin Cara.

That said, I don't think it's a fair comparison - Trips is new to the job and learning the ropes, so he's not going to be great at it just yet, he needs to develop the instincts. More importantly, though, Austin hasn't done much in the way of talent scouting in an official capacity yet, so it's not like he's got any particular track record to speak of himself.

• Paid Members
Where's the evidence that he's a better judge of talent than Austin? If the WWE talent spotting and pushing system was perfect we'd never talk about under-utilized talent or wrestlers that have inexplicably been signed and kept their jobs despite being gash.

Its never going to be perfect, because you'll always have people moaning that things arent going right. They were even moaning in 2000 when WWE had a brilliant roster of talent. Austin's an old relic and a former worker till the end. Just because your a big star doesnt mean you know whats best for the company He has nothing to do with marketing or branding talent or meeting stockholders. He is of the opinion Samoa Joe would be perfect for WWE. The head brass at WWE think otherwise, because they see no advantage having a fat Samoan that isnt Rikishi on television. I'd much rather have Triple H in charge of talent than Austin.

Hows that Triple H's fault? He signed a Mexican superstar (who is perfect for their massive market over there) up for the writers and the people in charge of development. He looked at what he could bring to the WWE, based on the popularity of Rey Mysterio, and decided to snap him up. Not his fault he's now off TV. Thats like saying its Jim Ross' fault that the Big Show never worked in 1999. Big Show was a massive and brilliant signing. Its not the head of talents fault that they used him like shit or that he wasnt ready to be on TV.

• Moderators

I don't watch week in week out, but Sin Cara was over as fuck at MITB. I was pretty shocked, compared with the flat response he got last time I watched WWE. I'd say the push went fairly well, barring the unforseen circumstance that is the wellness violation.

I don't think Joe is horrible - he can be quite charismatic and cut decent promos when motivated, but I still maintain he was never all that, mainly because he's got one game, and that's "beat the shit out of the other guy". He displays no capability to work with guys bigger than him and for whom he would have to sell for.

He did a fucking sterling job against Kenta Kobashi

Might be worth pointing out that Mick Foley reccommended to WWE that he be signed years ago too, before he went to TNA.

He probably would have been a good signing at that point too, but they weren't interested even then. They must have looked into him too, as they did sign Foley's other reccommendation, CM Punk.

If Foley's advice didnt make any difference then, Austin's won't now.

• Paid Members
Its never going to be perfect, because you'll always have people moaning that things arent going right. They were even moaning in 2000 when WWE had a brilliant roster of talent. Austin's an old relic and a former worker till the end. Just because your a big star doesnt mean you know whats best for the company He has nothing to do with marketing or branding talent or meeting stockholders. He is of the opinion Samoa Joe would be perfect for WWE. The head brass at WWE think otherwise, because they see no advantage having a fat Samoan that isnt Rikishi on television. I'd much rather have Triple H in charge of talent than Austin.

But you can hardly say Austin doesn't have an eye for talent when, as Carbomb said, he's never been in a role where this can be proven either way.

Samoa Joe probably could get over in a WWE environment I reckon, and I think they would eventually sign him if the circumstances were right (it took them quite some time to sign Awesome Kong, for example). He'd never be a Cena level star, but he could probably find a Benoit-like position on the roster.

Archived