Which matches would you show to a non-fan?

brmanuk

My girlfriend has never seen wrestling before and actually didn't believe me when I told her I watched it. She thinks it's ridiculous and for kids. I want to show her that it can be acrobatic, spectacular, exciting, superbly choreographed and that it isn't just about one fat guy fake punching another fat guy.

So as the topic says, which matches would you show someone if you were trying to convert them into a fan? Has anyone ever managed to convert a non-fan?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioned this in similar threads in the past but my ex thought wrestling was daft and couldn't understand why anyone would watch it until I was watching Triple H and Shawn Michaels from Summerslam 2002 one night, she didn't become a fan or anything but she got well into it and genuinely thought Michaels was paralysed at the end

So in general I wouldn't show them some technical exhibition as they'd probably find it boring as fuck so show them something with a bit of crowd fighting/weapons in it i.e. pretty much any WWF PPV main event 1998-2001

I'd say an ultimate X match from TNA, generally quite dangerous and acrobatic.

I agree with the Summerslam comment though. A mate of mine watched the hype video for Michaels/HHH and said "they really get your blood going with that stuff don't they", then was really into the match. Which was followed by the Lesner/Rock hype video and match, which he also loved.

For my money, there is no better PPV to show a non fan as it also has Angle/Mysterio on it and that is amazing.

Canadian Stampede 10-man tag.

Bret vs. Piper - WM VIII, Bret vs. Hennig/Bigelow - KOTR '93, Bret vs. Austin - SS/WM.

Pillman vs. Liger - Superbrawl II.

Rey vs. Ultimo Dragon - WW3.

Rockers vs. Orient Express - Rumble '91.

Taker vs. Shawn - HIAC.

Bret vs. Savage - SNME.

Edge vs. Matt Hardy - Cage match 2005.

Rey vs. Eddie - Halloween Havoc.

Shawn vs. Taker - WM 25.

• Paid Members

Triple H v The Rock at Backlash 2000 where Stone Cold returns to cost Triple H the title is the ultimate fun filled rollercoaster main event for everyone to enjoy, fan and non fan alike. Its the ultimate wrestling spectacle in my mind. Most underrated match of all time.

I've thought about starting a thread like this loads of times before.

A gimmick match full of blood, guts could get someone into it (provided they aren't squeamish)

But I think for a first timer, I'd go for something like Taker Michaels from WrestleMania 25.

Something that has an incredible video leading up to it would help the person get straight into it too, there's bound to be a few of them.

• Paid Members

Batista vs HHH, Hell In A Cell. The excellent pre-match video package makes it easy to follow. The match itself is up there with the best the company's ever put out. The perfect pacing, the psychology, the "I fucking hate you!" look in their eyes, and the realistic brutal violence on display make it possible for anyone to suspend their disbelief.

Just a fucking awesome spectacle, from start to finish. The sheer sense of closure alone at the end makes it one of the finest feud-enders ever. Even more so with this dvd extra post-match.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq-ne8Odtpo

I'm not in the habit of trying to convert non-fans though...

Archived