Which matches would you show to a non-fan?

brmanuk

Agreed. I once showed the Mick Foley Hell In a Cell match to a friend, and after Foley fell through the cage he went "ah, that's fake blood, he's wearing a protective suit" and so on. It's a fake chair, that's a fake ring, etc.

I'd plump for the Angle-Benoit Submission match. It starts out like a "real" wrestling bout, and slowly gets more and more brutal and sports-entertainment. A good intro to what's possible.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm with you on this one. Trying to justify why you watch it is basically swimming against the tide, and makes it look like you take it far more seriously than is necessary.

I'm not sure why anyone would be arsed about trying to convince their lass that what they watch isn't silly or childish. I've had to listen to all sorts of pretentious bollocks from lasses over the years about what a feminist triumph Sex & the City is, but no matter how many episodes I'm forced to sit through, to me it will always be soulless, materialistic tripe about a group of vapid middle-aged slags and their love of shoes and rich men. Everyone should be allowed their guilty pleasures, though.

Have you ever been made to sit through One Tree Hill? It's ten billion times worse than Sex & The City. I am now immune from being slagged off for watching WWE because people will watch One Tree Hill.

I still can't understand why folk here are throwing out death matches as sensible things to show a non-fan. Not everybody wants to see ridiculous, harmful violence - if they did, wouldn't you think these people would have hunted these videos down already? Some just want to see athletic, funny and throwaway matches where they don't need to have explained to them the histories of the stars involved before and during the bout. You may all love Taker v Michaels or an HBK/Jericho classic but non-fans won't understand what makes them good and will most likely find them boring. See?

Taker vs Mankind is always up there on the list but I only show them the first two bumps. After that the match is actually pretty boring..

Something quick... Dragongate 6 man match from Broxbourne 2010 and also the Shingo vs Yokosuka matches both draw some sort of interest out of new fans...

I think that Michaels vs Taker is a decent match to show new fans if they can tolerate the first ten minutes. It starts off slow and builds into something awesome and I dont believe anyone wouldnt be gripped by "I just had an out of body experience" as Michaels kicks out!

In conclusion, new fans would be best drawn to a fast paced, high energy, full pelt match unless it's got an awesome backstory which is highlighted in a two minute video package. It's all well and good having a match thats "five stars" but if they don't know the back story they may want something which is attention grabbing not a classic.

Have you ever been made to sit through One Tree Hill? It's ten billion times worse than Sex & The City. I am now immune from being slagged off for watching WWE because people will watch One Tree Hill.

Pffft. Come back when you've been subjected to "Gillmoure's Girls". That is more brain melting than listening to Bezerker albums at full blast whilst rubbing chilli powder into your eyes. "One tree hill" is bad though, that's instant leave the room material. I'm glad I don't live with a woman any more.

I still can't understand why folk here are throwing out death matches as sensible things to show a non-fan. Not everybody wants to see ridiculous, harmful violence

Aye but people who think

I’m not quite sure I understand that. I don’t watch WWE at the best of times. Speaking for my friends at least, they would be a lot more impressed with the more “grown up” stuff. As I said, even some pure stiff Japanese stuff gets respect from my none fan mates. My top drinking partner even often bangs on Misawa’s “Spartan X” music when we’re on wrecking sessions. I’d never show my mates anything to do with Cena to try’n win them over. That would make me look a dick.

Yep that's fair enough. The original question was about girlfriends though, not mates who have probably seen stuff similar to it already. It all depends on who you're showing the stuff too and nobody seems to be bringing that into the equation. You'd show a girlfriend, a parent, a younger friend, Stevie Wonder all totally different things yet most are picking out the ridiculous deathmatches.

I remember watching the Triangle Ladder from Wrestlemania 2000 with my wee cousin, and Jeff Hardy hit the ladder with the 450 Splash and my dad said "ye don't fuckin' fake that!" and then was amazed by the stuff he seen later in the match, so I'd suggest that.

Do Fixer vs. Blood Generation is a good pick for a pure athleticism standpoint and the constant motion should have non-fans hooked.

One match I showed a non-fan was Jody Fleisch vs. Jonny Storm from CZW Best of the Best 2 and that worked.

I understand what your saying about people boring of action packed styles, but how did you get that conclusion from my post?

I started the woman off on mainstream, progressed onto indie, and once she went black, she never went back so to speak. She dislikes the tom foolery of the mainstream more than I do, and that

• Paid Members

I must admit that Gilmore Girls is a very guilty pleasure of mine. I find it very easy to watch, when I don't need something really challenging. Plus, to echo Butch, I'd fuck Lauren Graham (the mum) eight ways from the Sabbath. And then Alexis Bledel (the daughter) - ever since she played a whore in Sin City, she's been nothing but pure filth to me. Thank god I saw Sin City after I'd seen the first three series of GG.

Archived