Which matches would you show to a non-fan?

brmanuk

I understand what your saying about people boring of action packed styles, but how did you get that conclusion from my post?

I started the woman off on mainstream, progressed onto indie, and once she went black, she never went back so to speak. She dislikes the tom foolery of the mainstream more than I do, and that

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you imagine showing them benoit vs angle royal rumble 2003 and them really getting into it and enjoying it and everything then at the end they go ''that benoit guys pretty good is he still wrestling'' the conversation that follows that will probably put them right off wrestling.. probably put them off you as well.. ''you like a child killer what the hells the matter with you''?!?!?!?!?!

Exactly. You showed her WWE, she didn't like it initially, you showed her Floppy McFlopperson and told her "it's REAL rasslin" and now she likes that.

Like anything, you don't "get" wrestling overnight, it's an acquired taste. When I first started watching wrestling, and TWC started up, I was fascinated by things like RoH or Jonny Storm v Jody Fleisch. As I've got older and seen more wrestling, I've developed a greater appreciation for the art of heavyweight, classic wrestling if you will. If there is an artistry to wrestling, it's in the stuff that you do in a match BESIDES movezz that makes it great.

Again, I

Exactly. You showed her WWE, she didn't like it initially, you showed her Floppy McFlopperson and told her "it's REAL rasslin" and now she likes that.

Like anything, you don't "get" wrestling overnight, it's an acquired taste. When I first started watching wrestling, and TWC started up, I was fascinated by things like RoH or Jonny Storm v Jody Fleisch. As I've got older and seen more wrestling, I've developed a greater appreciation for the art of heavyweight, classic wrestling if you will. If there is an artistry to wrestling, it's in the stuff that you do in a match BESIDES movezz that makes it great.

Yeah, damn those stupid people who can't appreciate mainstream pap the way you do. I bet they don't like Michael Bay movies either, the philistines.

Again, I’m not trying to disagree with your point, it makes sense as clear as day. It seems though that I haven’t explained myself properly (again!).

I used to get all the WWE TV shows and PPV’s sent to me on DVD back when I was interested, and also get my wanky indie stuff off the same lad. Before we even lived together, I’d just take the WWE shows round to hers, thinking that ROH etc might be “chucking her in at the deep end”.

She did develop a taste for WWE, even had “favourite” wrestlers and stuff. I then introduced, TNA, which she gradually accepted, and so on and so forth. So she did like mainstream style quite a lot and it was over a period of months that I introduced the “harder stuff”. She was initially put off by the venues / lighting etc that makes the indie art form so unattractive to casuals, but gradually, she came to appreciate what was going on in the ring. Attending indie events also hyped her interest. Now, some 5 years after I first met her, she wouldn’t bat an eyelid at WWE.

That's what I don't get. In what way is ROH "the harder stuff" or "the deep end"? It's like watching OWV or FCW - it's a training ground for the big leagues. It's hardly UFC. What is it about ROH that makes it the single malt of wrestling then?

• Paid Members
That's what I don't get. In what way is ROH "the harder stuff" or "the deep end"? It's like watching OWV or FCW - it's a training ground for the big leagues. It's hardly UFC. What is it about ROH that makes it the single malt of wrestling then?

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: that's the main thing I hate about RoH. Not Richie, but this attitude they have that such wrestling is, as you put it, "the single malt of wrestling". That they're "wrestling mavens", and that anyone who doesn't like RoH "clearly doesn't like good wrestling". Pricks.

It's not to say WWE's the only good wrestling, just that when you compare the likes of RoH to WWE, WCW, Memphis, All Japan, New Japan, NOAH and even Lucha, which has its own established storyline conventions within which the wrestlers work, the only thing that's clear is that it's not "the single malt of wrestling" - if anything it's a bottle of petrol-station-bought Whyte & Mackay.

However, I think what Richie meant was that it's the more "hardcore" stuff, as in really esoteric and niche.

I fell out of love with Wrestling until 2001, as i kid i watched it through the early 90's but then it became boring to me, Sid squashing 'Mike Jones' or whatever jobber it was that week and the like was the image i had of wrestling,

Then in 2001 me and a friend were doing the usual on a Sunday night at my house, Playstation and the like when he announced he was 'going home to watch the wrestling' , i laughed it off and then after he went flicked it on and found i couldnt turn over, i couldnt beleive the change in it! Big Name Wrestlers on a TV Show appeared against each other and the angles that were running, Not how i remembered it!!

1st match that got me into it? Edge v Test Survivor Series 2001- Not a great match by any stretch of the imagination but i loved it! Near fall after near fall, I ended up watching the whole show, so I dont know if it matters too much what match you show (obviously not a bad match, but a decent quality match) as long as the other person has an open mind and is wanting to give it a try

But a good suggestion would be Angle v Shane King Of The Ring 2001, again pretty gorey but non stop action and genuine shocking moments with the failed suplexes and the eventual smash through the glass

Also why not ease them in with the latest series of Tough Enough? Reality show yet wrestling based so easy viewing and IMO a fantastic series with Austin on top form!

It's well paced high flyers for the win.

People appreciate athleticism, but organised athleticism of the old WCW cruiserweight division for example. The chaos of ROH wouldn't go down well, I don't think. It comes across as too amateur. I think if you present a well paced high flying match with high production values it'll appeal to peoples need to a) watch something that seems professional and not amateur (hence why most people enjoy the crack, bang, wallop of stadium gigs as opposed to dank pubs) and b) see something athletically impressive.

My dad and girlfriend both hate wrestling, but on separate occasions have looked up from their cornflakes to see Rey Mysterio.

Michaels vs Triple H from Summerslam 2002 got me back into wrestling having not watched for a few years, so I'd agree with that as a good one.

Anything with a decent video package - which to be fair is most of the WWE's more important PPV matches - should at least give her an idea of the storyline. I'm tempted to say the Austin vs Dude Love match from Over the Edge 1998 would be a pretty good call as well - great storyline, hot crowd, enough extra-curricular stuff to keep things moving quickly, and a fantastic ending.

As a general rule rather than particular matches I think I'd agree with WCW's cruiserweight division being a pretty good call as well. As daz says, people can appreciate athleticism a lot of the time.

• Moderators
I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: that's the main thing I hate about RoH. Not Richie, but this attitude they have that such wrestling is, as you put it, "the single malt of wrestling". That they're "wrestling mavens", and that anyone who doesn't like RoH "clearly doesn't like good wrestling". Pricks.

It's not to say WWE's the only good wrestling, just that when you compare the likes of RoH to WWE, WCW, Memphis, All Japan, New Japan, NOAH and even Lucha, which has its own established storyline conventions within which the wrestlers work, the only thing that's clear is that it's not "the single malt of wrestling" - if anything it's a bottle of petrol-station-bought Whyte & Mackay.

However, I think what Richie meant was that it's the more "hardcore" stuff, as in really esoteric and niche.

Spot on. The more you watch wrestling, the more you get into "less is more". Psychology makes a match, and a story tells it. And that's what wrestling is about.

Hitman numbers made a good point with his post on Angle vs Benoit, not just concerning Benoit's murderous ways, but also the fact that all the great matches I would show people are from guys not working in WWE, in TNA, retired or on the verge of retirement. Imagine the disappointment of someone you show the HBK vs Taker Mania matches too. They get hyped and flick on WWE only to see Alex Riley vs The Miz, finding out that HBK is retired and Taker has maybe 2 big Mania matches left in his body. What about that Kurt Angle? In TNA, making people with half his talent look good. Chris Jericho? Umm, he was just on Dancing With The Stars? Brock Lesnar? Fights twice a year in UFC if his guts don't explode. CM Punk? About to have his last WWE match for a long time. Austin? Rock? You get the picture.

Top five matches I'd show people:

Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker- Wrestlemania 25

Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker- No Mercy 2002

Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs Edge & Rey Mysterio- No Mercy 2002

Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho- Wrestlemania XIX

TLC II- Wrestlemania X7

Sorry, I didn

Archived