TNA Destination X Discussion Thread *NO unaired spoilers!*

David

he won't go for the pin, he simply goes on to hit another move: not exactly the story of a guy who's trying to win a match, which is the point of why people are interested in matches in the first place - it just looks like he's trying to get his shit in and be a big mark for himself.

He's gotten even worse at this in ROH since he turned heel. Between the moves you mention, he'll have this big grin on his face saying "look how smart I am" and even points at his head sometimes to illustrate the point, when in wrestling terms, it's fucking stupid.

I don't really buy into the "moves that would beat most people" thing though. All wrestlers have had moves that could be finishers and they haven't been. Daniels' one main finisher these days is the BME, much like it was the Last Rites before that, and the Angels' Wings before that, and 9/10 times, it seems to work, apart from when TNA/ROH are wanting to go for the big epic finisher kickout thing at the end of the match, and to be honest, that's been as much of a TNA/ROH problem as it has a Daniels one.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I don't really buy into the "moves that would beat most people" thing though. All wrestlers have had moves that could be finishers and they haven't been. Daniels' one main finisher these days is the BME, much like it was the Last Rites before that, and the Angels' Wings before that, and 9/10 times, it seems to work, apart from when TNA/ROH are wanting to go for the big epic finisher kickout thing at the end of the match, and to be honest, that's been as much of a TNA/ROH problem as it has a Daniels one.

I'm not talking "big move that could be a finish or sub-finish", I'm talking about sequences of several. In each of several matches, I've seen Daniels hit a Blue Thunder Driver, a scrap-buster slam, a BME, an Iconoclasm, at least two variants of DDTs, before hitting the Angel's Wings. And I've seen him hit regular DDTs in the first few minutes of a match.

Tell you what, I'll go through the Destination X match, pick it apart and present my findings on here tonight.

To be honest, I agree with Richie. I really liked the Daniels/AJ match. I felt they went for a different story this time - their normal arsenal of moves didn't work on each other as they both had them scouted, leading to whole new sequences. Daniels' growing frustration teased a heel turn, but in the end it was clean.

Credit where it's due, they had a good match.

Jack Evans was fucking foul though, his style is an abomination and he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a fed that cares about the overall quality of its output.

There you have it, posted at the exact same minute as my description of why their bout wasn

I'm not talking "big move that could be a finish or sub-finish", I'm talking about sequences of several. In each of several matches, I've seen Daniels hit a Blue Thunder Driver, a scrap-buster slam, a BME, an Iconoclasm, at least two variants of DDTs, before hitting the Angel's Wings. And I've seen him hit regular DDTs in the first few minutes of a match.

I

My point was that it's Fin who purposely looks for faults in wrestling just so he can write about them. Usually things that no normal fan even notices, like Royal Rumble entrants being every 27 seconds instead of every 30.

• Paid Members
My point was that it's Fin who purposely looks for faults in wrestling just so he can write about them. Usually things that no normal fan even notices, like Royal Rumble entrants being every 27 seconds instead of every 30.

Except this is the first time I've ever said I'm specifically going to analyse a match, as it is to do with the discussion at hand. I've just given an explanation why I don't rate Daniels, and if I find that I don't enjoy this match on that basis, I have to say why, don't I? Contrariwise, if I am pleasantly surprised as Richie assures me I will, I'll be more than happy to say why.

• Paid Members

He pissed all over them from about 2000 onwards, until about 2005-6, when he got fat and lazy.

Anyway, watched the Daniels/AJ match. It's going to seem like I decided before I'd even watched it, but whatever - I thought it was a mediocre match. The first bit was OK, with each guy trying to outwit each other, and after that, it was just "getting shit in". Daniels used a Crippler Crossface, a Death Valley Driver, Punk's variant of the Anaconda Vice, a scrap-buster slam, and an Iconoclasm, all for not even a near-fall two-count, before failing with the BME and the Angel's Wings. Most of which was to sub-par reaction. In fact, that match really had a lukewarm atmosphere for a main event. At first, I thought it might just be the Impact Zone crowd, but then I checked out the ending of the Abyss/Kendrick title match, and they tore the fucking roof off when Kendrick won. Much louder, and that was a match featuring Abyss.

Sorry Richie, but this match was far from convincing. If anything, it served to reinforce my opinion of Daniels. Also tarnished my opinion of AJ a bit - I'd gradually come to think of him less and less as a spot-monkey, as he really has been improving, but this match didn't really do him any favours. Still, AJ's demonstrated he can work different styles, Daniels hasn't.

• Moderators

Your last sentence sums it up for me there. In 2001 Styles was a green spotmonkey flying around in WCW and Wildside, but he's developed and become a decent rounded wrestler.

Chris Daniels hasn't evolved since he was jobbing on Shotgun, doing the ECWA Super8 and working with Reckless Youth in 1998.

Archived