Reviving British Wrestling

The Great Muta

Once British wrestling was a major player on the scene. Now though it seems like the British wrestling scene is stuck in the mud with no conceivable way of climbing out.

It seems strange to me that Mexico, Japan, and of course America have thriving wrestling scenes with National promotions yet Britain struggles to move a promotion past regional level.

I know most of the theories already; lack of money, promoters pushing poor shows, inadequate training, and lack of exposure opportunities/public interest.

It is hard to believe that the other wrestling hot spots, Mexico, Japan, and the USA didn't suffer similar problems. Summerslam 92' and the continued WWE interest indicates a potential interest in the mainstream if the product was there.

Could be fantasy on my part, but I believe that it could be possible.

If you could have any tools at your disposal, all the resources you needed, and the contacts necessary, what are your ideas as to how a British revival could be achieved? :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think several things need to happen,

Firstly someone needs to be willing to invest alot of money in a company knowing they won't get a return on that investment for quite some time, this could be used to give better production values, maybe even a custom build arena for wrestling.

Second it needs to get on television, not on some backwater channel at midnight, somewhere with a decent sized audience.

Thirdly there needs to be more "name" wrestlers, it doesn't matter how good the show is, if no ones heard of the wrestlers its not going to fly.

Without anyone of these three, UK wrestling will never be mainstream.

You can basically predict how these threads are going to go these days. 'Blah blah World of Sport blah blah British wrestling is dying blah blah better investment and TV blah blah Summerslam 92'.

Sorry 'The Great Muta', I don't think you've been knocking around here much and thus it stands to reason you wouldn't know this, but this type of thread has been posted I think roughly once every fortnight for the last few years or so. Nothing new ever gets said and frankly, I don't think it's a situation that will improve any time soon, never mind one that can be sorted by us discussing hypothetical situations on here.

It can tbe revived to a major level. No terrestial channel would show wrestling again and without free tv you wont get the recognition to attract the casual attendee to live events.

You have a generation now raised on WWF/E both on production levels and wrestling styles and characters. If you shoved Clive Myers vs Soulman Bond (no disrespect to either competitor meant) on at show where kids are expecting the likes of Cena, Orton, Punk, Nexus, etc then the crowd is not going to respond positively.

Enjoy the memories of the 70's and 80's because British wrestling will never hit that level again. As much as promotions like 1PW (originally) or events like the King of Europe cup try you still only get 1000 at tops. Compare that to the 10-12K that WWE draw or the 7000 that TNA drew on the last tour.

With no tv there is no exposure and no major company will show British wrestling again

i woudl class Nagasaki as an "import" though as the majority of the crowd woudl be there for a "one-off" appearance by a non regular competitor.

Its not an attempt to demean British Wrestling but just to show how hard it would be for the UK scene to grow substantially

Once British wrestling was a major player on the scene. Now though it seems like the British wrestling scene is stuck in the mud with no conceivable way of climbing out.

It seems strange to me that Mexico, Japan, and of course America have thriving wrestling scenes with National promotions yet Britain struggles to move a promotion past regional level.

I know most of the theories already; lack of money, promoters pushing poor shows, inadequate training, and lack of exposure opportunities/public interest.

It is hard to believe that the other wrestling hot spots, Mexico, Japan, and the USA didn't suffer similar problems. Summerslam 92' and the continued WWE interest indicates a potential interest in the mainstream if the product was there.

Could be fantasy on my part, but I believe that it could be possible.

If you could have any tools at your disposal, all the resources you needed, and the contacts necessary, what are your ideas as to how a British revival could be achieved? :)

Do a reality style show like bgt with a phone in vote. Always works no matter how shit the format is

All Star do numbers like that all the time. Of course, the posters do usually say "American Wrestling".

Do they now? Wow. I knew they ran a successful racquet for their area of the market, but only assumed numbers around 400 tops. Once again, I have learned something today!

I

• Paid Members
i woudl class Nagasaki as an "import" though as the majority of the crowd woudl be there for a "one-off" appearance by a non regular competitor.

Well say special attraction and not import then.

An import is actually that: a foreign wrestler brought in, whether for a one-off appearance or a tour.

Well say special attraction and not import then.

An import is actually that: a foreign wrestler brought in, whether for a one-off appearance or a tour.

Imports also refer to any wrestler that is booked for a company that isn't a home-grown talent for example IPW: UK booking someone who is LDN trained.

Archived