OPWO Scorn 2: The Rebirth Of OPWO

FishAndChips

True, but I wasn't making any comment on the actual shows - even before the last event, the 1PW brand still had enough pull with its hardcore fanbase that they could've run a hall show, rather than a big one that they just did, and probably got a turnout most BritWres promotions would be happy to have, and which shitarse promotions would chew their arms off for.

Didn't Liverpool for A New Divide have a pretty similar draw? 1PW numbers haven't been great for a good long while.

Also, they just cancelled a show because pre-sales were shite. They had a show which apparently had 80 people the night before their big one. Not seeing anything about the turnout for the February show.

I guess the point is though, that there is no reason to think that the 1PW name has any value anymore.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
True, but I wasn't making any comment on the actual shows - even before the last event, the 1PW brand still had enough pull with its hardcore fanbase that they could've run a hall show, rather than a big one that they just did, and probably got a turnout most BritWres promotions would be happy to have, and which shitarse promotions would chew their arms off for.

Didn't Liverpool for A New Divide have a pretty similar draw? 1PW numbers haven't been great for a good long while.

Also, they just cancelled a show because pre-sales were shite. They had a show which apparently had 80 people the night before their big one. Not seeing anything about the turnout for the February show.

I guess the point is though, that there is no reason to think that the 1PW name has any value anymore.

80 people in a small hall is alright for UK promotion. Takes it out of shitarse territory at least.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm not saying 1PW has loads of name value, I'm saying it has just a smidgin left that endures and, however inexplicable, keeps drawing an extremely loyal core of spackers, which is more than a number of even the best-run promotions in the UK can say - that's no disrespect to them, but it's very difficult to build the sort of brand loyalty whereby fans will go out of a sense of "family", like they did with 1PW.

It's dying, too, but I think that, before the last event, it was still there; like I say, you only have to look at the vehemence of the posts on the FB page, and their quantity.

Also, in some respects, I'd say the UKFF has contributed to 1PW's success over the years; doing what we do, it seems to have inspired 1PW fans to construct an "Us vs. Them" scenario out of sheer bloody-mindedness, and it's knit them together more tightly than ever. We are the Jews to their Nazis.

EDIT: I've seen the guy before, but I never fail to be impressed by Valkabious' look. I reckon he could be WWE-bound pretty soon.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm not saying 1PW has loads of name value, I'm saying it has just a smidgin left that endures and, however inexplicable, keeps drawing an extremely loyal core of spackers, which is more than a number of even the best-run promotions in the UK can say - that's no disrespect to them, but it's very difficult to build the sort of brand loyalty whereby fans will go out of a sense of "family", like they did with 1PW.

I'd say most promotions would be disappointed with a draw of 80, and rightly so.

The Facebook comments will continue, and will do so in numbers, but they quite simply do not translate to bums in seats and that is pretty evident. A promotion with decent exposure and a good roster should be able to do well. You only have to look at GPW, IPW:UK, PBW, ICW and the likes to see that this is the case.

Also, in some respects, I'd say the UKFF has contributed to 1PW's success over the years; doing what we do, it seems to have inspired 1PW fans to construct an "Us vs. Them" scenario out of sheer bloody-mindedness, and it's knit them together more tightly than ever. We are the Jews to their Nazis.

It might have contributed before, but as I've said, even with the Us vs. Them thing still being about, it doesn't really count for much if you're having to cancel shows because nobody wants to see them.

Nash wasn't on the show with 80 people hitman. He was in BCW.

EDIT: I've seen the guy before, but I never fail to be impressed by Valkabious' look. I reckon he could be WWE-bound pretty soon.
I'd hope Joel Redman or Dave Mastiff get a look in first if smaller guys from the UK get considered, plus those two are much more intelligent, talented and professional than Val Kabious will ever be.

• Paid Members
I'd hope Joel Redman or Dave Mastiff get a look in first if smaller guys from the UK get considered, plus those two are much more intelligent, talented and professional than Val Kabious will ever be.

I'm guessing you know something about this guy beyond the look. Could you expand? I'm a sucker for the gossip.

And yeah, you're right about Mastiff and Redman. Although, with my past loyalties, I'd be rooting more for Mastiff.

Archived