The Greatest matches that never happened

psyclown

WCW ran out of steam in 99 very very quickly. People saw noboddy new coming up and realised noboddy was going to after 1998 that was worth caring about. When WWF had HHH, The Rock and Austin on fire plus many others it helped make WCW look worse.

Also from May - November the PPV's were all poor, the storylines ridiculous and childish in some places and I actually hated the pre russo 3-4 months more than anything he produced

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's so much that could have been if circumstances were different, but none of the ones I want to see can happen now. Other than the obvious ones that always get talked about all over the internet when this question comes up like, Hogan/Austin, Undertaker/Sting, Rock/Michaels etc I have always wanted to see Goldberg Vs The Undertaker. Think if Goldberg ended up leaving WCW without being beaten for some strange reason, and ended up going to the WWE to face Undertaker at Wrestlemania and challenge each other's streak. Could have been great.

• Paid Members

I only ever get into dream matches at the times that both are active, rather than cross-era battles. I never fantasize about the "could have beens." My brain doesn't let me get excited about what never could have happened.

Well, apart from my x-rated encounter with Julianna Marguiles and a frequent dream of setting up the winner for my BFF in the World Cup final against Brazil. Even in my own dreams, always the bridesmaid, me. *

Still, here are the matches I would have loved to have seen :

Bret Hart vs Sting (1992)

Steiners vs Hollywood Blonds (1993)

1-2-3 Kid vs Ultimo Dragon (1994)

Steiners vs Eliminators (1996)

Steve Austin vs Bill Goldberg (1998)

Sting vs The Undertaker (1998)

Shawn Michaels vs The Rock (2002)

Kurt Angle vs Kenta Kobashi (2003)

Chris Benoit vs Bryan Danielson (2004)

Shawn Michaels vs Eddy Guerrero (2005)

William Regal vs Nigel McGuinness (2006)

Austin Aries & Roderick Strong vs Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA (2006)

CM Punk vs AJ Styles (any time between Punk's heel turn and now)

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Kronik vs The Powers of Pain would have certainly been a spectacle to behold.

WcW did a match between The Faces Of Fear and Wrath/Mortis at Fall Brawl 97 which was fairly good, at least that has two of the "Faces of Pain" in the ring with Clarky.

Personally, I'd quite fancy Meng/Barbar/Warload vs all three Demolition. Lots of clubbering in that one, if you will.

* 25-yarder against the Germans in the semi, mind.

I'd echo the original poster with HBK vs Eddie. Probably around 2004.

Others I would have liked could've included;

Ricky Steamboat vs Mr Perfect (1991)

Ricky Steamboat vs Bam Bam Bigelow (1993)

Ricky Steamboat vs the Hitman (1991)

Ricky Steamboat vs Doink (1993)

Hitman vs Rick Rude (1992)

Hitman vs Hulk Hogan (1993)

Hitman vs Jake Roberts (1992)

Hitman vs Ultimate Warrior (1993)

Ultimate Warrior vs Jake Roberts (1991)

Ultimate Warrior vs Yokozuna (1993 - & no need to turn the Narcissist!)

Ultimate Warrior vs HBK (1993 or 1996)

HBK vs Bam Bam Bigelow (1996)

HBK vs Jean Pierre Lafitte (1995)

Hitman/Owen vs Marty Jannetty/123 Kid (Jan 1994 - going balls out like the Steiners wrestlefest match)

Marty Jannetty vs HBK (ladder match, 1993)

Marty Jannetty vs Ric Flair (late 92)

The Hart Foundation vs Midnight Express (Lane & Eaton) (1990)

The Rockers vs Midnight Express (Lane & Eaton) (1990)

Randy Savage vs Jerry Lawler (1993 in WWF)

Flyin' Brian vs Mr Perfect (1991)

Flyin' Brian vs Ted Dibiase (1991)

Steiners vs Hollywood Blonds (1993)

Ricky Steamboat/Shane Douglas vs the Quebecers (1993)

Cactus Jack vs Raven (1997)

Tends to be different combinations of a select few guys, and most of them aren't exactly money matches, but i'd sure have liked them. If you had to try it matching guys at different times you could be at it for days.

• Paid Members
We almost had that at a WAR junior heavyweight tournament the following year too. Only they decided that they wanted Jericho and Fucking Gedo in the final instead.

Fucking Gedo ruined the end of so many tournament brackets in the mid 90s, it should have been his gimmick.

• Paid Members
Diesel vs Vader in 96 would have been fucking awesome!.

I remember when Vader went mental at the Royal Rumble 96. Diesel had returned to the tweener nutcase that he was in late 1994 (I was to young to realise there was a heel turn coming, and just assumed Diesel was being misunderstood when he was costing Undertaker World title matches). I still remember begging for Diesel to come out next. It would have been class. Diesel was great before he left. He was a top heel.

• Paid Members
Diesel vs Vader in 96 would have been fucking awesome!.

I remember when Vader went mental at the Royal Rumble 96. Diesel had returned to the tweener nutcase that he was in late 1994 (I was to young to realise there was a heel turn coming, and just assumed Diesel was being misunderstood when he was costing Undertaker World title matches). I still remember begging for Diesel to come out next. It would have been class. Diesel was great before he left. He was a top heel.

Yep yep. JR had teased it on Action Zone a few weeks previous saying "for me, a Diesel/Vader confrontation is a must see for this year's Royal Rumble." Back when they revamped Action Zone to a magazine style show and The Ross Report was a decent watch, like when they showed footage of all the Japanese lasses coming in for Survivors 95.

Much better than the previous format of "here are three squash matches you just watched on Challenge, plus a token Double J vs Aldo Montoya, star v JTTS high end squash."

Archived