One for the old-school fans - Davey Boy Smith vs Vinnie Vegas at the

ClassicsGuy

If you were, well, the match aired on WWE Vintage Collection today, repeated at 10:30pm on Sky Sports 4.

Fairly rare match. You might see yourself in the crowd, as they had close ups of people.

One lad was wearing a 1993 Leeds United shirt.

Think it was the main event tour in 93. In march, I was at webley arena where sting won the title from vader. My first event. Think he lost it back a night later, I think in ireland Both vegas and bulldog were on the card.

• Paid Members

Never heard of this being filmed before. There is very good ringside footage of the Dublin show which was shot by Doc Dean for the Robbie Brookside Video Diaries and happened to capture Vader regaining the WCW title from Sting (which was later leaked onto the bootleg market.) Most of the London show with the Sting title win was camcordered from the stands as well. Very odd that they'd do professional recording of one the shows on the tour but not film the title change.

• Paid Members

I made sure that I DVR'd this, as it's been mentioned already that this is a rareity. The Stan Hansen Vs Tommy Rich match that was also shown on this Vintage Collection was described as a "Newly re-discovered" gem, and when WWE took possesion of the WCW archive, I remember that there was a lot of noise being made about the archive being in quite a mess with some not labeled, some mixed up and some even deemed "un-usable". So I wonder if both of these matches are the result of recent archive browsing and sorting. Hopefully, there's plenty more.

This episode of Vintage Collection was also worth viewing for Jesse Ventura's digs at the Shockmaster on commentary during the Steamboat/Vader match.

• Paid Members
I made sure that I DVR'd this, as it's been mentioned already that this is a rareity. The Stan Hansen Vs Tommy Rich match that was also shown on this Vintage This episode of Vintage Collection was also worth viewing for Jesse Ventura's digs at the Shockmaster on commentary during the Steamboat/Vader match.

Hehe, yeah made me chuckle. "If anyone is thrown out to the lumberjacks, Shockmaster might stumble and trip up over them"

• Paid Members

Just looked it up - this appears to have been the only match taped and was included on WCW Saturday Night later in the month (the rest of the show was from Center Stage theatre) along with some clips of Hayes interviewing Smith in the UK. Presumably as Smith was headlining the next PPV (Slamboree) they thought this match would show him in a great light.

Didn't Michael Hayes wrestle on that tour? Was he doing double duty as an announcer and wrestler at the time?

Yes he was. He wrestled as a babyface on the tour, facing the likes of Maxx Payne (in Manchester), as well as Scotty Flamingo and Paul Orndorff.

think i was there, i seemed to remember main event being sting/dustin vs rude and windham but windham and dustin were in fued but injured so brawled to the back and it ended up just sting and rude, am i right?

You are not right. The main event was Sting vs. Paul Orndorff.

The match you described happened the night before in Birmingham, but with Orndorff instead of Rude, and Smith vs. Vegas was on that show too, so maybe you went to Birmingham?

Archived