2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
If Rangers do end up in a lower division, there's no guarantee they'll ever be the same force they were again, because all their better players will end up leaving. As McNally writes, good players aren't going to play in Division 3, knowing they are at least 3 years from top flight Scottish football, and at least 3 years from European football.

That logic is severely flawed.

If Rangers are in Division Three then it won't matter if they lose their better players or not. All they'd have to do is replace them with players of enough quality to win the League, or at least the playoffs. Unless Charles Green really is just another Craig White then I don't see that being a problem, and once Rangers are back in the SPL, it's no longer an issue.

I do think it'll be interesting to see how Rangers handle the climb up the Divisions though. I've said before that I think they should concentrate on bringing through youth players with the goal of getting back to the SPL with a strong and settled young squad and a healthy bank balance.

I've got a feeling Green won't go for the patient approach though, and nor will the fans let him.

Unfortunately, a lot of people feel that is the case. Ask some Sheffield United fans what they think of Charles Green.

Rangers are f***ed. They're going to end up like the Leeds United of Scottish football. Unless they get huge financial backing from somewhere, it's going to be a very long road back with no guarantees. It's quite arrogant to think they'll just instantly bounce back.

I'm confused.

You said that Rangers would struggle in the Third because they'll lose their better players. I said that it wouldn't matter because they don't NEED SPL quality players to get Promoted from the Third Division. Surely that's obvious not arrogance?

I don't see Rangers becoming the Scottish Leeds because the financial situation in Scotland is very different than in England. Clubs in the SFL are struggling now anyway and if Rangers can maintain a home support of even 10,000 then they'll easily be able to outspend every other Club in the lower leagues.

It'd be one thing to question whether Rangers will ever seriously challenge for the SPL Title again but it would take mismanagement on a massive massive scale for them to be unable to at least win the Play Offs in Division 3.

On another note, Duff and Phelps should be breathing a sigh of relief that Rangers players are challenging their contract transfers. I can maybe buy that the Stadium, Murray Park etc only have value to "Rangers" but surely they could've made far more than

• Paid Members

Deserved a red card for the challenge that caused it.

Indeed! And because of that challenge Rob Milsom's career is over. He now won't win the European Player Of The Year or Fifa World Player Of The Year that he was most certainly going to win before that horror challenge from "Wee Naisy".

• Paid Members
Surely the players who refuse to transfer to the newco are assets of the "oldco"? So shouldn't the liquidators be able to sell them for the most amount possible to raise money for the creditors?

No, I think they become free agents.

Also - I don't usually get pleasure from the misfortune of others but he's been a horrible cunt while he was able to post on here so the following Tweet made me laugh.....

Ally Clark‏ @FrontBums

Fucking breaks my heart what's happening at Rangers just now.

Diddums. :laugh:

As a hearts fan I remeber his "flats flats glorious flats". funny how things turn out eh? :laugh:

Surely the players who refuse to transfer to the newco are assets of the "oldco"? So shouldn't the liquidators be able to sell them for the most amount possible to raise money for the creditors?

Nope, it's either transfer your contract or you have no contract.

Hibs say no:

Following a meeting of its Board of Directors, Hibernian FC confirmed that the Club will vote against the transfer of the Rangers share in the SPL to a newco at the General Meeting of SPL clubs on 4 July 2012. This re-affirms the view of the Board that the sporting integrity of the SPL is of paramount importance.

The Board is also acutely aware that in making this decision, Hibernian - like other clubs in the SPL - will suffer collateral financial damage at a time of severe economic hardship and uncertainty. The Board believes it is time for all fair minded supporters to get behind their clubs and to contribute in whatever way they can to the viability of the professional game in Scotland.

That's it then isn't it? Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United, Aberdeen and Hibs... The Rangers are headed for the Third Division.

Good for them.

• Paid Members

No guarantee that the teams from Division 3 will admit them remember. Everybody seems to forget that. I'm hoping they smell the money and let them in, which they more than likely will.

It'll be good to see some of these community clubs get a bit of money for once. TV deal would be good too. Fucking heartbreaking though as Ally said and I'm not a rabid Rangers supporter.

• Paid Members

No, I think they become free agents.

Nope, it's either transfer your contract or you have no contract.

I know how it will work, I was questioning how it should work. Just like Ibrox and Murray Park, surely assets should be hawked off to make sure creditors are paid, not passed along nicely to ensure the football club can start again.

I thought that by the SFL's own rules, they couldn't admit TRFC because they don't have three years of audited accounts, which was why Gretna 2008 couldn't get election straight back to the league.

It's pretty plain that all of the footballing authorities in this country are looking for ways to bend the rules to accomodate The Rangers.

And as for it being heartbreaking for Rangers fans, a phrase that goes something like "if you don't ask 'why me?' in the good times, you have no right to ask it in the bad".

I would honestly have sympathy for Rangers fans if it wasn't for the "We Are The People" attitude. Still, there is plenty who don't think the club has done anything wrong and that everyone should be bending over to accommodate them. I have sympathy for a small minority of their fans, but there's a reason most fans of other clubs have enjoyed the whole episode.

Archived