UK Rampage 1991

The Reverend

Was waching this event the other night as I haven't seen it since it was originally aired on SKY. I think this really gets overlooked as another 'UK Show' but I have to say looking back for a UK event, they really pulled all the stops out. All the big stars were in action, the matches were actually pretty darn good, a couple of re-matches from WM 7, the old interview podium, an apperance by Andre The Giant, and it even continued existing angles such as Dibiase / Piper. The matches are perfectly fine for the promotoin circa 1991 too.

I guess that this was the start of the WWF trying to make it in the UK, which led to Summerslam '92. Does anyone know if they aired this in the States? Because it could have been a PPV and I'm sure people would've bought it.

You thoughts? Oh and did anyone here attend the show?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The start of WWF trying to make it in the UK was a few years before 1991 mate. The first WWF match aired on WOS in the late 80's featuring Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs.

I don't really like the Rampage events. Was Hogan on them?

EDIT - I didn't attend although my best mate at the time did. I attended Battle Royal at the Royal Albert Hall though and he didn't so I think I won.

The start of WWF trying to make it in the UK was a few years before 1991 mate. The first WWF match aired on WOS in the late 80's featuring Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs.

EDIT - I didn't attend although my best mate at the time did. I attended Battle Royal at the Royal Albert Hall though and he didn't so I think I won.

Sorry to nitpick, but World of Sport had finished by that time and wrestling on ITV was a standalone programme.

Sorry to nitpick, but World of Sport had finished by that time and wrestling on ITV was a standalone programme.

Shows were broadcast on Saturdays only. Wrestling was now a standalone programme shown early in the afternoon. For the first time matches were broadcast from shows by All Star Wrestling (ASW) and the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) as well as the incumbent Joint Promotions (JP).

17 January 1987, WWF

British Bulldogs (F) v Hart Foundation (taped 1 November 1986 at Boston Garden)

http://www.johnlisterwriting.com/itvwrestling/index.html

• Paid Members

I was actually going to say I thought Battle Royal at The Albert Hall was a much better event, it's actually a shame WWE don't still do stuff there, it was a different looking venue, really felt British!

• Paid Members

Wrestling has been banned at the Albert Hall for a few years (it's mainly boxing that's been banned, but wrestling comes under the same licence). The ban's only recently been lifted.

• Paid Members
Wrestling has been banned at the Albert Hall for a few years (it's mainly boxing that's been banned, but wrestling comes under the same licence). The ban's only recently been lifted.

Now you mention it, that sounds familiar. What was the story there? Any idea if Vince has shown an interest since the bans been lifted? Raw or (not that they'd do this these days) a one of DVD taping would be awesome from there!

A Massive Main Event with Hogan vs Slaughter for the WWF Title, i seen to remember they had some lighting problems during the event possibly during the Barbarian/Snuka match, i have this on VHS somewhere in the loft, brings back childhood memories

I don't know if it's forgotten but it certainly was a great event with a pretty stacked lineup. Every match had plenty time and the whole thing just had a 'big time' feel to it. I even liked Anvil/Warlord, and Bulldog/Berzerker & Barbarian/Snuka lights-out were a couple of sleepers. Even Dibiase got more out of the Tornado than normal. The WWF was just brilliant around that time though, it would probably have been harder to put on a turkey of a show than a good one. It was even missing the likes of the Warrior, Hitman, Bossman, Perfect, Steamboat, Undertaker, LOD, Nasties, Power & Glory, Martel etc.

The Battle Royal at the Royal Albert hall was great too, but it didn't have any main eventers and in general i don't think the event as a whole compares so well to UK Rampage. I know there was a few good matches like Rockers//Nasties and Flair/Santana, but there was quite a bit of crap too like Tornado/Mountie, and i also thought Bulldog/Barbarian was disappointing considering I was a fan of both. What made the show so special imo was the venue, as the above poster rightly mentions; it was spectacular and the aura it had and atmosphere created was apparent even on video, and it did make a big difference.

It's a shame the WWF gradually made less effort on the UK shows with every passing year. '92 was still good, but not a patch on '91 mainly because, like the Albert Hall show, they used the Bulldog to substtute for real main eventers. '93 was just throwaway house show crap basically. I did quite like Perfect/Samu admittedly and Crush/HBk was fair. They got their act together a few years later with One Night Only mind - cracking show.

One thing I remember from UK Rampage was Neidhart and Warlord fighting with a wicker chair during a backstage interview :laugh:

Is that the event that has Snuka vs Barbarian, the crowd lights either dim or go off and it looks like theres no crowd.

• Paid Members

I loved it as a kid. It was the first wrestling video I owned. It hasn't aged well, the matches are mostly in slow motion. It was a hell of a card though, for the time, and it all felt relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Warlord/Anvil was my favourite match. Was probably the first time I'd seen an Anvil singles match and I thought he was great.

I was there, my first ever WWF show. I was so excited and I honestly thought it would be the only time I would ever get to see WWF live (little did I know they would be back six months later). The dark match was Dave Taylor, Tony St. Clair, & Danny Collins Vs Drew McDonald, Chic Cullen, & Johnny South which was weird as I had only seen some of these guys a few weeks before in my local hall!

A great experience, you always remember your first time!

This is one show I havent seen, where was it held? The 91-93 period of WWF in the UK amazes me as some of it was really big matches then suddenly utter shite. Also 1993 has possibly the biggest number of dates the WWF/E did in the UK in one go till recent years

I also love the tune used for this show (with the customary "Sponsored by the Sun. And Atari" for the Albert Hall and European Rampage shows)

I've always really wanted a proper MP3 of it. Does anyone know if it's stock music?

Archived