Same Name/Gimmick

Tom Zenk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
As far as tweaks though what about Undertaker? Excluding the American Badass thing his outfits have always eveolved, he's had different music and the original style he had compared to the ministry era were quite different but arguably it's been the same lightning shooting living dead gimmick from day 1

We could just not bother arguing the finer points in the Undertakers case because:

- Previously in WCW he was Mean Mark Callous.

- Apparantly, he was once billed as Cain the Undertaker. I never seen it with my own eyes though.

cain the undertaker

I don't get why he's billed in voice as Cain The Undertaker, but the chyron just simply says "The Undertaker."

• Paid Members

Apart from his early days as Mr. JL, Jerry Lynn covered multiple promotions with the same name and pretty much the same type of characters. He was in ECW, WWF, TNA and ROH all on television networks wrestling under the Jerry Lynn name. That names pretty much been running for 15 years in various feds. Bam Bam Bigelow was the first person I though of reading this thread though. He had runs in WWF, WCW, ECW, New Japan, Crockett and other places with the name and gimmick.

Y is muta wrong though because he has 2 persona's great muta and keiji mutoh, so when he is great muta, thats the same gimmick he has been doing for 25years in a hell of a lot of promotions

• Paid Members

"Y" (for fuck's sake) saying Great Muta is wrong is it's completely different to the original sentiment of the OP, that being that forever and always, and everywhere, Sabu was always "Sabu."

Keiji Muto has, as you have pointed out, made a whole career of being primarily himself and sometimes switching to The Great Muta in Japan but nearly always being Muta when abroad. In addition to the fact that the gimmick of Muta itself has undergone rather radical transformations over the years (contentious), there is also the fact that he has also used Kokushi in Japan, Super Black Ninja in Puerto Rico and I'm sure one or two other gimmicks (not contentious).

That's "Y".

Yeah but what difference does a name change or tweak really make?

Quite a lot actually.

Surely that excludes Sabu then, considering he started cutting promos in WWE. I'd saying starting to talk after about 15 years of silence is a large "tweak".

His gimmick I guess evolved, Dopper brought the point up originally, but he kept the same crazy man gimmick during the majority of his career pre 2006.

I didn't describe what I was meaning very well in the Sabu topic. What I found impressive was the fact he was an American who wrestled all over the world using a gimmick in which he didn't talk at all (which was the case for the first 20 years of his career).

The only other two I could think of were Abdullah The Butcher and Kamala.

Archived