Same Name/Gimmick

Tom Zenk

I didn't describe what I was meaning very well in the Sabu topic. What I found impressive was the fact he was an American who wrestled all over the world using a gimmick in which he didn't talk at all (which was the case for the first 20 years of his career).

The only other two I could think of were Abdullah The Butcher and Kamala.

Didn't Kamala wrestle as The Mississippi Mauler? There's loads of Youtube videos of World of Sport shite that says it's him, anyway.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't describe what I was meaning very well in the Sabu topic. What I found impressive was the fact he was an American who wrestled all over the world using a gimmick in which he didn't talk at all (which was the case for the first 20 years of his career).

Didn't Kamala wrestle as The Mississippi Mauler? There's loads of Youtube videos of World of Sport shite that says it's him, anyway.

"Big" Jim Harris

"Sugar Bear" Harris

"Ugly Bear" Harris

Kimala

Kamala

The Mississippi Mauler

Yeah but what difference does a name change or tweak really make?

Quite a lot actually.

Surely that excludes Sabu then, considering he started cutting promos in WWE. I'd saying starting to talk after about 15 years of silence is a large "tweak".

His gimmick I guess evolved, Dopper brought the point up originally, but he kept the same crazy man gimmick during the majority of his career pre 2006.

Abdullah has also worked as:

Pussycat Pikens

Zeras Amala

Kuroi Jujutsushi (Black Wizard) (Japan)

Wildman from the Sudan

Madman from the Sudan

Blade Bourdeaux

Abby

• Paid Members
Terry Funk - WWF/WWE, NWA/WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH, Japan.

The Sandman - WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, XPW, 3PW...

Raven - WWF/WWE, WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH, 3PW....

Rowdy Roddy Piper - WWF/WWE, NWA/WCW, TNA

Rikishi - WWF/WWE, TNA

Billy Gunn - WWF/WWE, TNA

The Steiner Brothers (As a tag team) - WWF, NWA/WCW, ECW, TNA.

Scott Steiner (On his own) - WWE, WCW, TNA

Loads of people have kept the same gimmick everywhere they have gone basically.

Just off the top of my head...

WWF/E

Billy Gunn

Rockabilly

"Bad Ass" Billy Gunn

Mr. Ass

"The One" Billy Gunn

"Billy" (as in Chuck & Billy)

TNA

Kipp James

The Outlaw

Cute Kipp

Kip Sopp

Even by your own pathetic standards, this has to be something of a low.

Let's not overlook the fact he included Rikishi in there, too. Perhaps Dill remembers a thong-wearing, dancing, blonde sumo wrestler-type character in the Headshrinkers and challenging Rocky Maivia at Wrestlemania 13 wearing curly-toed boots. And let's not forget 'Fatu Make a Difference'. Maybe my memory is a little hazy, but I thought those were completely difference gimmicks altogether? :confused:

• Paid Members

Rikishi - WWF/WWE, TNA

WWF/E

Billy Gunn

Rockabilly

"Bad Ass" Billy Gunn

Mr. Ass

"The One" Billy Gunn

TNA

Kipp James

The Outlaw

Cute Kipp

Kip Sopp

Let's not overlook the fact he included Rikishi in there, too. Perhaps Dill remembers a thong-wearing, dancing, blonde sumo wrestler-type character in the Headshrinkers and challenging Rocky Maivia at Wrestlemania 13 wearing curly-toed boots. And let's not forget 'Fatu Make a Difference'. Maybe my memory is a little hazy, but I thought those were completely difference gimmicks altogether? :confused:

Raven's another one that doesn't belong on the list too, considering he had runs as Scotty the Body, Scotty Flamingo (in WCW) and Johnny Polo (in WWF).

Rikishi - WWF/WWE, TNA

WWF/E

Billy Gunn

Rockabilly

"Bad Ass" Billy Gunn

Mr. Ass

"The One" Billy Gunn

TNA

Kipp James

The Outlaw

Cute Kipp

Kip Sopp

Raven's another one that doesn't belong on the list too, considering he had runs as Scotty the Body, Scotty Flamingo (in WCW) and Johnny Polo (in WWF).

Funk was Chainsaw Charlie also.

edit: Also, just remembered Sandman was "Hardcore" Hak in WCW & Scott Steiner was Scott Rechsteiner in Memphis, Rick also worked as Rob Rechsteiner. Finally Piper has worked as The Canadian & The Masked Canadian.

Your research is second to none there DillKid.

• Paid Members
Yeah but what difference does a name change or tweak really make? The original question was who kept the same gimmick, the answer was most of em.

Yes, so if the answer is most of them then there is nothing to discuss. That's why the name change matters.

even flair had much smarter robes as time went on.

I think you're confusing gimmick evolving and gimmicks changing which aren't the same thing. Most wrestlers gimmicks evolve over time, it's what stops them getting stale.

I don't get why he's billed in voice as Cain The Undertaker, but the chyron just simply says "The Undertaker."

It's because the show was taped prior to his debut as "The Undertaker" at Survivor Series, but as it wasn't actually broadcast until after, they were able to have the correct graphic.

But surely the question is who kept the same gimmick/name across multiple promotions, so long as they did that, using another name/gimmick at some point shouldn't discount them? :confused:

But surely the question is who kept the same gimmick/name across multiple promotions, so long as they did that, using another name/gimmick at some point shouldn't discount them? :confused:

Well the thread's a fucking mess. If we're just looking for wrestlers who have had the same name and gimmick in more than one promotion, there are loads. Including most of the ones mentioned in this thread who met with "but he also wrestled under another name in a different promotion" responses. Are we after ones who've always had the same name and gimmick (almost none) or just ones who kept them in multiple companies (thousands)?

• Paid Members

In which case I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of people. Bret Hart is the closest I can come, but then you have "Cowboy" Bret Hart which really was a completely different gimmick to "The Excellence of Execution".

While he had other gimmicks early in his career, he has been Raven for over 16 years and wrestled as that character in every major American promotion, all the decent indies, as well as Japan and Europe.

Archived