Smackdown Spoilers

iamtheman

Yeah, judging by the length of the video, I thought the match was going to be a lot longer than it was. But it seemed like the last ten minutes were Orton celebrating and leaving, replays of the finish, and Christian looking sad. The focus was definitely on Christian for the last good while of the show.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I thought the world title match was outstanding, absolutely phenomenal. However, Booker T ruined the damn thing with his inane drivel. I go back and forth from finding the guy unintentionally funny, to finding him detrimental to the product.

Out of the two returning stars at this year's Rumble, they definitely brought back the wrong one. Kevin Nash would be far superior to Booker T in both of the roles they hired him for.

• Paid Members
Just to go back to the Kharma/Fox injury issue.

From watching it, I don't think Kharma can be held responsible too much.

Alica Fox turned before the closeline even made contact. She always bumps wrong anyway its Fox's fault.

• Paid Members
Alica Fox turned before the closeline even made contact. She always bumps wrong anyway its Fox's fault.

Yeah, but I'm going to forgive her because I'd love to ruin her sister "off Tough Enough."

Stupid Kharma, internet darling, Meltzer, can't work, dangerous, fappers, IWC, *****.

• Paid Members

Never even mentioned the rest of the show thanks to my annoyance at Booker T, dammit. The guy has the gift of the gab, much like Kevin Nash. Unfortunately, unlike Nash he doesn't have seem to have the gift of the brains.

OK. Enough Booker-ranting.

I thought Chavo showed a bit of potential on commentary, the last daft comment aside. I reckon he'll eventually end up an agent, but he'd do admirably in an announcer role I reckon.

The roster in general felt really fresh. Jinder Mahal intrigues me, though I've no idea what he's like in ring, and it's very difficult to tell what he's like on the mic with his early interactions with Khali. If he's any good, Khali as Jinder's bodyguard (after he's unwittingly turned against his own brother) could be quite fun, and use Khali in a way that gives a new Indian star a rub with the audience over there. And hopefully with the audience here too.

Sin Cara looked pretty decent too, and he seemed to get quite a decent crowd reaction. I'm still not convinced he's the heir apparent to Rey Mysterio, but I'm interested to see where he goes from here on Smackdown. He'll eventually need to talk though, otherwise I don't know how they could progress his feuds and fit him into the sports entertainment environment.

I know it's early days, but I was disappointed not to see Alex Riley featured. I wonder if they're going to write him off RAW first given his angle with Miz. Whatever the case I hope it leads to the guy getting a push as a heel on the blue brand, he has massive potential.

Cody Rhodes was interesting again, but I hope they don't have the bag gimmick outstay its welcome. I'm thinking it's almost inevitable we'll see a feud between Ted DiBiase and Rhodes at some stage soon, most of the other Smackdown big guns seem to be occupied in feuds and Rhodes needs someone to feud with - and DiBiase needs a fresh start.

Providing they actually go somewhere with the Christian angle, I'm OK with what happened. I hope it doesn't end in a heel turn though, as good as he'd be in that role. Christian is pretty damn good at playing the sympathetic babyface and if they build it up right they can have people clamouring for his return to the top.

However, if it was just a quickfire way of getting the title off Christian, then I think what they did was pretty stupid. But the build up video at the start of the show has me suspecting there's something to it storyline wise.

I don't understand why anyone is saying "ha-ha! kayfabe is alive and well".

No-one is angry because Christian lost to a nasty, hated heel. They are angry/annoyed because he lost to someone they find to be more boring or 'safe'. Like a few people have said, I also find Christian to be generally more entertaining and (for me, more importantly in a Face role) more likeable than Orton.

That's not "falling into WWE's plans" it's just being peeved that a wrestler they like was given no change to see how he'd have fared as the top face (even for just a 4 week period).

I'm not slightly surprised, but I found it to be a massive kick in the balls as a fan of his.

He may well get a heel turn and do well out of it, but frankly I have very little faith in WWE these days, as they've spazzed up a thousand "great opportunities" over the last decade. It just seems silly to pass up a chance to build another strong Face for the brand. Surely getting him as over as possible as a Face would make an eventualy Heel turn better anyway? As it is, he just looks like a chump.

He may well get a heel turn and do well out of it, but frankly I have very little faith in WWE these days, as they've spazzed up a thousand "great opportunities" over the last decade. It just seems silly to pass up a chance to build another strong Face for the brand. Surely getting him as over as possible as a Face would make an eventualy Heel turn better anyway? As it is, he just looks like a chump.

I don't think that's true exactly. The match was very competitive and he lost to an amped-up version of the most devastating move in WWE. More importantly, what I was most happy about with regard to the episode was the way it started and ended. Randy Orton won the World Championship this week but the episode of Smackdown! was very much about Christian. That's a positive sign. And though it may have no real bearing on the long-term plans for Christian, I think his general work and how well the crowd reacted for him in his opening promo might help him make a case for staying around the upper echelons of SD! for a while longer.

He may well get a heel turn and do well out of it, but frankly I have very little faith in WWE these days, as they've spazzed up a thousand "great opportunities" over the last decade. It just seems silly to pass up a chance to build another strong Face for the brand. Surely getting him as over as possible as a Face would make an eventual Heel turn better anyway? As it is, he just looks like a chump.

I don't think that's true exactly. The match was very competitive and he lost to an amped-up version of the most devastating move in WWE. More importantly, what I was most happy about with regard to the episode was the way it started and ended. Randy Orton won the World Championship this week but the episode of Smackdown! was very much about Christian. That's a positive sign. And though it may have no real bearing on the long-term plans for Christian, I think his general work and how well the crowd reacted for him in his opening promo might help him make a case for staying around the upper echelons of SD! for a while longer.

Oh, I wasn't saying he was buried or anything, and you are right that they put a fair amount of focus on him.

My main concern though is that they fail to follow up with it in the way yourself and others have suggested. I just don't have faith they'll "do right by Christian", if you will and make the most of a popular guy. I'd love to be proven wrong as I'm a big fan. I just hope you are right and they did take notice. I'd hate for him to slip back down into the midcard and be remembered as that bloke who held the Title for two days, without being given a fair shake to at least reach the Jericho role of occasional Main Event guy.

Big Zeke out of the Corre can only be a good step for both him and the Corre. Interesting to see him be a good guy feuding with Barrett, Slater and Gabriel. I think he'll win the IC Title, then onwards and upwards for the man.

On a side Justin Gabriel sure is handsome.

From the first video on SD! this week i sort of felt that there was a reason for Christian to lose the title, so fair enough, I'll see where it goes, cause the focus was on him.

Smackdowns looking good, but same problem they had on raw with potentially repeating feuds, Bryan and Sheamus had great chemistry, but I don't wanna see them wrestle so soon as the last feud, same with Rey Rey and Del Rio.

Stupid mood lighting, I think Sin Cara vs Tyson Kidd was Sin's best match so far!

• Paid Members
Stupid mood lighting, I think Sin Cara vs Tyson Kidd was Sin's best match so far!

To be honest, I never really noticed it.

Big Zeke out of the Corre can only be a good step for both him and the Corre. Interesting to see him be a good guy feuding with Barrett, Slater and Gabriel. I think he'll win the IC Title, then onwards and upwards for the man.

He seems like a bit of a charisma vacuum to me. He's more a Bobby Lashley than a Batista, a softly spoken wrestler with little personality. He's got a decent look, but that's about it for me. WWE has a serious lack of wrestler's who're good on the mic breaking into the upper card right now. Dolph Ziggler's a weak talker. So's John Morrison (heck, he's abysmal), Drew McIntyre seems to be from the Orton school of talk (ie. monotonous), then there's Jack Swagger who has a bit of a grating voice, but scarcely an ounce of personality in it.

Cody Rhodes seems a little contrived on the mic, Sin Cara doesn't actually speak...

I'm hoping Brodus Clay and Alex Riley get a bit of a push now the draft's passed, as far as I can see the two are pretty darn close to having everything they need to succeed.

And what the heck happened to Johnny Curtis?! Couldn't they at least have given him a throwaway TV tag title match with R-Truth which he lost rather than...well, forget about it?

To be honest, I never really noticed it.

He seems like a bit of a charisma vacuum to me. He's more a Bobby Lashley than a Batista, a softly spoken wrestler with little personality. He's got a decent look, but that's about it for me. WWE has a serious lack of wrestler's who're good on the mic breaking into the upper card right now. Dolph Ziggler's a weak talker. So's John Morrison (heck, he's abysmal), Drew McIntyre seems to be from the Orton school of talk (ie. monotonous), then there's Jack Swagger who has a bit of a grating voice, but scarcely an ounce of personality in it.

Cody Rhodes seems a little contrived on the mic, Sin Cara doesn't actually speak...

I'm hoping Brodus Clay and Alex Riley get a bit of a push now the draft's passed, as far as I can see the two are pretty darn close to having everything they need to succeed.

And what the heck happened to Johnny Curtis?! Couldn't they at least have given him a throwaway TV tag title match with R-Truth which he lost rather than...well, forget about it?

I think he's in between, no where near the intensity on the mic as Batista, but nowhere near as bad as Lashley. I know Zeke has been there a while but I don't think he has got a lot of chances on the mic, and I'm sure Batista wasn't a beacon of shining charisma on the mic when he came in! I like Zeke a lot though.

I always forget that Johnny Curtis won NXT and not Brodus Clay. Poor JC.

Not going to look through all the previous pages, but I am not happy that Christian appears to have dropped the title, due to the fact WWE has a film starring Randy Orton due out soon.

Yes, just like John Cena dropped the title to Kane when Kane's film came out, or like Ted DiBiase's world title run to coincide with the release of The Marine 2. Fucksake.

Archived