The Big Boss Man Appreciation thread

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The second Bossman figure was great. First of all because they removed the shades - I hated when they molded into the plastic any attire that the wrestler didn't actually wrestle in. It ruined the realism of my mates. Yes, even as a small child I was that anal. "But the Undertaker doesn't wrestle in his hat!!" etc.

Secondly, the "babyface" figure was noticably trimmer. Ths made sense as from those early Twin Towers days the Bossman had slowly dropped weight, to the point his billed weight was down from 357 to 327, and by the time he was fully fledged blue eye he was able to keep up with guys like Perfect. The figure represented that well.

Thirdly, finally and most importantly, giving the figure the clothesline spring action made it ideal to perform the Bossman slam. One of the times they got that right! You couldn't pull off a decent Razor's Edge (unless you were doing it to Tornado or Tatanka) and nothing approaching the Cranium Crunch, but everybody went down to the Bossman slam. Hogan, Warrior, Undertaker, the "evil" Bossman, even my Terminator figure masquerading as Diesel. "Big Daddy Cool" may have sporting cool shades and a rippling six pack, but he still served hard time.

• Paid Members
It's the big guy's birthday today, he would've been 48.

I swear to Christ I didnt even know that! I wish I'd have waited a day now. If anyone thinks I should start a seperate Happy Birthday Boss Man thread, let me know!

48 is no age, especially for the type of matches he was doing at the time. He could have been doing the Dustin Rhodes spot now, on the likes of Superstars and NXT. He'd have been in the Hall of Fame, we'd have probably seen the return of blue shirted Boss Man, during the nostalgia based shows WWE have done over the years. There's a million things he could be doing in the promotion now. He might have had a run in TNA when he got released, and then turned up in WWE again, like Goldust did. Then he'd have won the Rumble at least once.

• Paid Members
It's the big guy's birthday today, he would've been 48.

I swear to Christ I didnt even know that! I wish I'd have waited a day now. If anyone thinks I should start a seperate Happy Birthday Boss Man thread, let me know!

48 is no age, especially for the type of matches he was doing at the time. He could have been doing the Dustin Rhodes spot now, on the likes of Superstars and NXT. He'd have been in the Hall of Fame, we'd have probably seen the return of blue shirted Boss Man, during the nostalgia based shows WWE have done over the years. There's a million things he could be doing in the promotion now. He might have had a run in TNA when he got released, and then turned up in WWE again, like Goldust did. Then he'd have won the Rumble at least once.

Genuinely shocked he'd still have been so young - I didn't realize the guys age. He'd almost certainly have made a "surprise return" in a Royal Rumble at some point, before rejoining the main roster in a marginalized role.

I think you're pretty spot on about how he'd have been used, Ian. As for the Hall of Fame, that'll still come at some point I'm sure.

As for the Bossman love, I'm afraid I can't join it. Before I watched wrestling, when I was a young child I happened to know who both Bossman and Hulk Hogan were. I also had nightmares about both (particularly Hogan for some reason) so any time I look at the former Big Bubba I do so with a shudder...

Thoughts on Big Boss Man?

In the early 90s one of the best babyfaces on the roster. Amazing even, well over, well entertaining.

In the late 90s one of the shittest heels on the roster. Has the worst matches too.

One of my favourite Boss Man memories is his seemingly incompetent attempts at eliminating Austin and The Rock from the Deadly Games tournament in 1998; his intercepted nightstick toss to Ken Shamrock being a particularly fond moment. Of course, it would later transpire that the Boss Man wasn't incompetent at all, but was in fact an integral part of the conspiracy to make The Rock the corporate champion.

My only negative in regard to the Bossman is that he always struck me as the sort of person who would stink. Not just sweat, although that as well judging by how much he used to sweat during a match. I just thought he probably stunk of shit, a bit like Hacksaw Jim Duggan, I always imagine he smelt a bit like piss.

I'm not judging of course, just putting it out there.

And even though I was out of the toy buying stage at that point, I did own this:

a20792a12f36e975f25315_m.JPG

I had that same figure, but mine was in a two-pack with Austin:

2091908_WWE-SUMMERSLAM-99-2-TUFF-4-BOSSMAN-AUSTIN-1.jpg

It had a little balaclava as well. I bought that from HMV, it's strange to think now of them selling wrestling figures. I got a Rock and Mankind two-pack from there too. I was chuffed when shops started selling wrestling figures again. I don't think I ever had skinny Bossman in the Hasbro days, but my best mate did and I used to feel bitter jealousy when I'd go home and have to feud Nailz with my fat Bossman figure.

The Nailz attack on Bossman is one of the strongest wrestling angles I saw as a kid. I was mesmerised by that storyline, from the initial voiceovers to the brutal attack to the Bossman's triumphant return. SummerSlam '91 was the first big wrestling event I'd seen, and Bossman beating Mountie and sending him to arse-rape in prison was one of the highlights. It was great to see him turn up as Vince McMahon's henchman as well in '98, and the storylines with Al Snow and Big Show are unforgettable.

I don't often think that fondly of Bossman now to be honest, probably because Powerslam in '98-2002 always said he was shit and I was impressionable. But he was one of the most memorable characters from that time when wrestling seemed so magical, along with the likes of Hulk and Warrior, Macho, DiBiase, Perfect, Jake and the LOD. Plus he'll be forever immortalised on that old quilt cover where they had cartoon pictures of the wrestlers. http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.212886924.jpg

Archived