The Big Boss Man Appreciation thread

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cornette tells the story on a shoot of how Bubba got his hand shut in the door of a taxi - as in the car door latched shut - but refused to sell it in front of the cab driver :D:D

• Paid Members

I fucking love the big man from Cobb County. His matches always have me interested.

He had a couple of class matches with Vader in WCW, and of course

His hardcore matches with Snow were great fun, he was ace in the corporation and this is before you get into the amazing early days in the WWF. His matches with Hogan were top and have me on the edge of my seat watching and his team with Akeem is top. Sadly Bossman was winding down when I first started watching, so I've only really seen him in retrospective.

He was also in some of the first Wargames as the war machine and was ace then too.

re: the original post:

Two fuckin' awesome video games right there!!

Great memories, especially the arcade game. It was THE most realistic wrestling game I had ever seen at the time! Oh, the hours I wasted in the arcades at Margate playing that [and Double Dragon and Streets of Rage].

Great times.

Forgot to mention - Fuck your Attitude Adjusters and your RKOs: Big Ray also had the most innovative way to finish off an opponent here at 4:14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KiBF1F_rjM...feature=related

Classic, classic. Also one of the most legit looking match finishes ever in the legendary jailhouse match here - Boss Man v Mountie Summerslam 91 at 1m:43. When I first saw that I almost shat at the noise it made.

I always loved

to the SNME that had Bossman and Akeem vs Hogan and Savage. They really knew how to hype matches in those days. I can see why Vince gets so pissed off with the announcers nowadays. They just don't have what he had back then.

• Paid Members

WWF's The Main Event shows were awesome and brilliantly built. This one for Hulk vs Andre is just brilliant. The interviews are so addictive. Considering WWF was watched by 33 million people that night, McMahon, Ventura and the wrestlers involved like Hogan, DiBiase, Jimmy Hart, Savage and Honky do a terrific build up in the opening interviews for those who havent watched the WWF before. In the interview, all the wrestlers involved explain whats happened in the build up. There's big fuck off graffics with the wrestlers name on it along with a big wrestling move to show what they are about. Everyone gets over in the space of a minute because we are aware of all of these people before the show even starts. Its excellent. You arent turning this off if your flicking the channels. Its instantly watchable from the opening. So colourful and over the top and the fans are going mental for it. WWF's The Main Event on NBC was as big as WrestleMania as far as the way WWF built to it back in the day. Every year there seemed to be something happening, like an Andre title win or the Mega Powers Exploding. For years people criticised WWF for having more style than substance. They could do with a bit more style in 2011. I got into wrestling because it was filled with charismatic, colourful superheroes. Its missing that for me.

I quite like the twin towers vs the rockers at wm 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oqEeZsClx8

BIG BOSS MAN APPRECIATION THREAD:

wwf_bigbossman.jpg

Man, I hate looking at this action figure - always makes me remember I lost it in a fucking bus when I was a 4 year old Boss Man fanatic :(

Looking at that figure, that is just crying out for a custom Walter Sobchak figure!

His rumble 91(?) match with the Barbarian was absolutely awesome. Especially considering it followed the Rockers - Orient Express match it still had me hooked from start to finish. A brilliant match from two hugely underrated workers.

as above. also bossman had a wicked spot where he wouls sit on the top turnbuckle and you would hit him and he would just fall backwards with his leg hooked under the middle turnbuckle - as if the geezer had no spine. people say vader is the best super heavyweight, but i believe bossman is well up there with him. quick as a cat for a big bloke, and that shit he used to do with his nightstick. he also used to get massive pits in that blue shirt, just to show how manly he was.

• Paid Members

I was in Georgia for Wrestlemania a few weeks ago and frequently used the Cobb County bus service there. To think that the great man himself may have used that same service once upon a time brings a tear to my eye.

My initial memories of him are his stuff with the Hardcore title and specifically Al Snow. I think he started off as the Hardcore Champion on the first Smackdown game, so he'd always be cropping up in season mode. His side slam finisher always went straight for the pin as well, but sometimes you didn't even need the pin if the knockout function was turned on as you'd have won the match before the ref could even count. Bravo.

Not to do a Dillkid but I was watching SummerSlam 88 yday, when it cut to the ring with Bossman with Huge shades and over the top cop outfit he just summed up 80s wrestling but in a good way ofcourse.

Him vs Hogan in the Cage is great but him vs Hogan was always great, used to love after a hard fought match his shirt would be unbuttoned and pissing of sweat it just added to him being in a battle.

The jailhouse match was fun and fairly risky for its time (mountie being come onto in jail) and the noise the Alabama Slam made was crazy and a great bump too.

Archived