A discussion about spoilers

dangerously420

Hello all. I would like to post a discussion about spoilers and mainly why people read them.

I do not read spoilers for Raw/Smackdown/Impact/PPVS. I want to be able to watch the show not knowing what happens or any of the match results. I feel if you do read spoilers it renders you watching the show your are going to watch redundant. I hear people say they read spoilers as they want to know if the show is going to be any good or not. I do not understand this. Why can't you just go and watch the show with fresh eyes and after viewing the show decide for yourself if the show you just watched was good or was not good. It is like going to the cinema. You don't go to the cinema to watch a movie but before you step foot inside the cinema you have read plot spoilers and know how the movie ends. If you know what happens in the movie then why pay to watch the film in the first place?

The only acceptable way i can see spoilers being read by people is that if you watch say Smackdown on a regular basis but one week cannot watch as you got something on you read the spoilers so then next week you know what happened last week when they refer to things on TV.

• Paid Members

I read Smackdown spoilers to see if it looks to be worth watching. Very occassionally I'll be annoyed that I've found out something I wished I hadn't but generally it just saves me 2 hours of my life.

Comparing it to the cinema is stupid. Generally you go see a film because you've seen the trailer or you've read the sypnosis and so you kind of know what happens anyway. You go and see it because it looks appealing. Reading spoilers is similar.

I happen to enjoy Raw much more than Smackdown so I like to watch it unspoiled. I've no problem with people who don't. I'd only have a problem with people who form an opinion from spoilers and then spout of about it. They are up there with cunts who ring in the footy phone-in on a Saturday night to spout off an opinion on the game when they haven't even been!

The only acceptable way i can see

Who are you decide what's "acceptable"?

Yeah, I think it's obvious a show is usually more entertaining to watch if you know nothing about it beforehand. But at the same time people these days may not want to spend hours watching a show and finding out it wasn't that good. I'll watch Raw without spoilers but just read the SmackDown spoilers. I read up on TNA but won't go out of my way to watch it unless there's a major angle or a Jeff Hardy fuck-up.

I find it more confusing why so many people can supposedly enjoy Eastenders and Corrie when their spoilers are plastered over every TV magazine in the country, with images to boot!

• Paid Members

Was going to mention what rick has just put about the "Acceptable" bit, as its not like any bad happens if you read the spoilers. If anything i read spoilers just to keep as up to date as possible. That and if , (for example), i read the Doug williams won the TNA world title in a classic against kurt angle, i would tune in to watch that, when it airs.

Otherwise i wouldnt watch it all, as i dont watch TNA.

• Paid Members

I think, if you're avoiding spoilers, that's fine. If you're, for example, going to a live TNA talk featuring Velvet Sky while a TNA PPV is taking place, and complaining to the fans that are watching live that you want to avoid spoilers, you're probably a bit of a dick.

• Paid Members
I find it more confusing why so many people can supposedly enjoy Eastenders and Corrie when their spoilers are plastered over every TV magazine in the country, with images to boot!

I used to watch Eastenders, Corrie, Emmerdale and Home & Away, I don't really bother anymore, but I liked to read about them in the magazines. Thing is, they told you what was going on without actually telling you the full story. Like you'd know this week (as I do through Facebook) that Ronnie was giving back the baby in Eastenders but you wouldn't know how it comes about or the reaction, etc. At least thats how it was with the magazine that used to come with The Sun. Some do actually give the whole game away.

With wrestling I hate spoilers and to be honest, if someone spoils Raw for me I tend not to bother watching because I simply don't have time to watch a show I already know about.

What does irritate me though is when someone cares so little about spoilers that they carelessly ruin a show for someone and don't get why that might be a problem.

I agree with most of what Rick said. For me, whether I read spoilers or not depends on how much faith I have in a company to make watching a show spoiler-free worthwhile. For instance, from about 2007-2009, I got so sick of the WWE building up potentially great angles only to blow them with the most predictable or boring payoff possible (Hornswoggle being Vince's son, the follow up to the Orton/Vince angle, Cena winning every feud he was in decisively) that I just couldn't be arsed to invest my time and effort in it anymore only to be disappointed in the end - consequently, I followed WWE mainly through spoilers, and I very rarely had any inclination to watch a show.

The payoff to an angle or storyline is hugely important to my enjoyment of wrestling - for instance, I can read in spoilers that a show-long Nexus invasion ended in Cena overcoming the odds and making every member of Nexus tap decisively to the STF, and I don't have to watch that show to know that I won't enjoy it. If the ending is predictable and shit, then it ruins everything that went before it for me.

At the same time, I felt a similar way in 95/96, and what followed with the birth of Austin 3:16 and the nWo was some of the most exciting and compelling wrestling TV in history. In wrestling, something great can be just around the corner from something utterly shit. Keeping in touch with spoilers means you'll always have a heads up if the next Austin or nWo is coming, but you're spending maybe 30 seconds of your week on it rather than wading through 2 hours of crap on the offchance something decent might be coming up.

I think reading TNA spoilers is almost inevitable since in some cases, the show won't be airing until maybe three (or in the old days four) weeks after they were taped. I can't speak for Smackdown since I don't watch it that often, but with Impact, I often find that even though I've read the spoilers for the tapings, it doesn't actually reflect on how good a show is.

Quite a few times, I've read the spoilers and thought the show wasn't very good but then found myself at the end of Impact thinking that it must have been a completely different show to the one I read about earlier in the week. Even then, if you don't get completely obsessed with spoilers, you can pretty much forget about what you read by the time you get round to watching the show.

Hello all. I would like to post a discussion about spoilers and mainly why people read them.

I do not read spoilers for Raw/Smackdown/Impact/PPVS. I want to be able to watch the show not knowing what happens or any of the match results. I feel if you do read spoilers it renders you watching the show your are going to watch redundant. I hear people say they read spoilers as they want to know if the show is going to be any good or not. I do not understand this. Why can't you just go and watch the show with fresh eyes and after viewing the show decide for yourself if the show you just watched was good or was not good. It is like going to the cinema. You don't go to the cinema to watch a movie but before you step foot inside the cinema you have read plot spoilers and know how the movie ends. If you know what happens in the movie then why pay to watch the film in the first place?

The only acceptable way i can see spoilers being read by people is that if you watch say Smackdown on a regular basis but one week cannot watch as you got something on you read the spoilers so then next week you know what happened last week when they refer to things on TV.

I don't think it's comparable to going to the cinema at all. A movie is open-ended, it can be about anything, and it ends however the makers decides it's going to end. it's also usually telling one story, or at least stories that are interlinked. When watching it for the first time, the plot and narration is usually the all important thing to most people. Wrestling shows are a lot different, with more constraints - you know you're going to get wrestling matches and you know you're going to get interviews. For a lot of people the all important thing's not just who wins or how they develop certain angles, it's as much about how enjoyable and entertaining the matches and skits are, and how well it's all done. If you've been watching every week for 20 years there's not a whole lot of stuff they can do to that would be new to you, so it can be good to find out beforehand what's likely to suit you, so you know whether to spend 2hrs watching it, cherry pick the stuff that's likely to appeal, or give it a miss altogether.

I prefer to avoid them with PPVs, but i only watch the Big 3 and SkySports ones live, so with the rest i'll read the reviews and it never particularly bothers me when i finally get round to watching the show.

There's nothing 'acceptable' or 'unacceptable' about them, it's whatever floats your boat....

it's as much about how enjoyable and entertaining the matches and skits are

Which you aren't going to find out from reading spoilers.

You're going to get a fair idea based on the matches booked, the time given to them, and the thoughts of the writer if it's someone whose opinions you've often agreed with in the past.

I just can't wait till the show's on to find out what happens! I fuck up the Rumble and Mani every year for myself coz I can't get through the day without going... "aaaaaargh, fuck it, click!"

I go without spoilers for PPVs and Raw, as I generally see them straight away. However I do read all TNA Impact spoilers and Smackdown/NXT ones too. I end up watching the majority anyway, but I'm just pretty impatient. And to be honest, by the time I get round to watching them, I've forgotten a lot of what I've read anyway, and many spoilers aren't in depth so don't ENTIRELY ruin a show.

Personally, and I might be the only one, I love going into chat rooms and reading discussions of PPVs from American fans. Sometimes wrestlers even go into them, which is cool.

• Paid Members
I agree with most of what Rick said. For me, whether I read spoilers or not depends on how much faith I have in a company to make watching a show spoiler-free worthwhile. For instance, from about 2007-2009, I got so sick of the WWE building up potentially great angles only to blow them with the most predictable or boring payoff possible (Hornswoggle being Vince's son, the follow up to the Orton/Vince angle, Cena winning every feud he was in decisively) that I just couldn't be arsed to invest my time and effort in it anymore only to be disappointed in the end - consequently, I followed WWE mainly through spoilers, and I very rarely had any inclination to watch a show.

The payoff to an angle or storyline is hugely important to my enjoyment of wrestling - for instance, I can read in spoilers that a show-long Nexus invasion ended in Cena overcoming the odds and making every member of Nexus tap decisively to the STF, and I don't have to watch that show to know that I won't enjoy it. If the ending is predictable and shit, then it ruins everything that went before it for me.

At the same time, I felt a similar way in 95/96, and what followed with the birth of Austin 3:16 and the nWo was some of the most exciting and compelling wrestling TV in history. In wrestling, something great can be just around the corner from something utterly shit. Keeping in touch with spoilers means you'll always have a heads up if the next Austin or nWo is coming, but you're spending maybe 30 seconds of your week on it rather than wading through 2 hours of crap on the offchance something decent might be coming up.

Pretty much this. I still read spoilers because I don't want to waste two hours of my life on shite, and will stop reading them when I have a sufficient idea that the product's on enough of a roll to get me to think "Fuck it! Surprise me!"

I don't read Raw spoilers simply because I'm enjoying the show over the last few months and I watch it the next morning. I tend to read smackdown spoilers, purely because they go up 3 days before it airs and I inevitably let curiosity get the better of me.

Archived