A discussion about spoilers

dangerously420

• Paid Members

I was in this PPV Chat once and they kept giving spoilers away for the show which I wasn't going to watch until a few days later. How dear they take away my right to chat to people in a PPV Chat without having the PPV it's a chat room for spoiled. :angry:

I am not allowed to have my wishes respected.

This is the thing i do not get. Why do you read spoilers to see if a show is worth watching.

We are fans of wrestling here. We watch a wrestling show to watch a wrestling match and be entertained by that match with the drama and story which excites and compel us to reach a climax of one wrestler winning the match. If we know what the end result of the match is then all that entertainment, drama and story is rendered redundant as the end outcome has allready been read.

This is the thing i do not get. Why do you read spoilers to see if a show is worth watching.

To save time? For me, when I'm at uni there isn't always enough time for me to watch shows since I'm drumming two nights a week, often gigging at least one other night a week and then also need to have time to work, eat, sleep and go out for a drink with friends once or twice a week. There aren't enough hours in the week for me sometimes, so even just watching Impact, I can easily fall two or three weeks behind. I'll read the spoilers or what's happened on the show and if it doesn't appeal to me, I won't bother watching. I have a vague idea of what happens so that I can watch the next show without being completely unaware of what previously happened.

We are fans of wrestling here. We watch a wrestling show to watch a wrestling match and be entertained by that match with the drama and story which excites and compel us to reach a climax of one wrestler winning the match. If we know what the end result of the match is then all that entertainment, drama and story is rendered redundant as the end outcome has allready been read.

I can see your point, but if I go into a show only knowing that Wrestler A defeats Wrestler B, then I still have some emotion invested in that match. Even though I know that at the end of the match, A will have his/her hand raised, spoilers aren't necessarily going to say how it happens or portray the drama and excitement that leads up to the finish. I can still watch a match and be enthralled by the story that unfolds during the match.

By that rationale you'd never watch a match more than once.

The whole 'knowing the outcome kills a match' thing is redundant anyway.

Regardless of if you don't read spoilers, there'll often be matches that you'll pretty much know the result of anyway, if you have any intelligence. But does that really spoil it?

A simple knowing of a result doesn't spoil every detail, nor does it mean you appreciate anything they do any less. It just means you watch it in a different way.

@RepoMan

See if i know the result of the match i would just be bored. I could not invest in the match beacuse i know what wrestler is going to win. During a match say the match has built and wrestler A puts wrestler B in a submission say a sharpshooter. Wrestler B is trying to get to the ropes but i know wrestler B is winning the match as i have read spoilers im not going to care or be caught up in the drama of willing on that wrestler to win.

Well, that's fair enough if that's how you feel. I don't think it's wrong, and I do understand, but you can't expect everyone to feel the same.

It's like watching Match Of The Day even though you know the results. Sometimes it's nice to see the highlights etc.

Same with soap spoilers and whatnot - LOADS of people read those and STILL watch them, because they want to see how they get to that point. Same with wrestling really - yes, we may know the results, but a lot of spoilers aren't hugely in-depth and there's plenty to enjoy along the way. Plus if you do hear of a particularly impressive move or a turn or whatever, it's often worth watching even if you know it's coming.

@RepoMan

See if i know the result of the match i would just be bored. I could not invest in the match beacuse i know what wrestler is going to win. During a match say the match has built and wrestler A puts wrestler B in a submission say a sharpshooter. Wrestler B is trying to get to the ropes but i know wrestler B is winning the match as i have read spoilers im not going to care or be caught up in the drama of willing on that wrestler to win.

Do you never re-watch a match? Do you only watch matches once ever?

I go back and watch some matches again, and again, and again. Sure, I don't mark do fuck out like I did the first time but great stuff still evokes.

And my own answer as to why I would read spoilers again: because I can't fucking wait that long to watch it for myself!!

:)

@RepoMan

Do you never re-watch a match? Do you only watch matches once ever?

I go back and watch some matches again, and again, and again. Sure, I don't mark do fuck out like I did the first time but great stuff still evokes.

And my own answer as to why I would read spoilers again: because I can't fucking wait that long to watch it for myself!!

:)

I hardly ever rewatch matches to be honest. I hardly even own many wrestling shows on DVD/VHS. The only times i've done so is when i thought i may have noticed a mistake in a match but Botchamania seems to be able to get my fill of that.

• Paid Members
@RepoMan

When Triple H was dominating in early 2000 and wouldn't lose to anyone did you not get into it? John Cena with his massive win streak and holding onto the title? Don't you get enjoyment out of a good old squash match? The WWE always have matches on that are predictable and as a wrestling fan most matches you watch you could call the winner. It's what's in the match that counts. The moves, spots and everything in between. I don't read spoilers often, sometimes for Smackdown I do but not a lot. Even if I did I can still buy into a match because it would still be entertaining me regardless of who the winner is. Like Foley vs Triple H H.I.A.C retirement match. I knew before the match started that Foley was going to lose but I didn't think I won't bother watching as I already know the winner. Have you never enjoyed an Undertaker match at Wrestlemania. Is that spoiled because you know he is not going to lose? Spoilers are everywherew not just the ones that are written for every show each week, but the ones like Takers Wrestlemania matches, Sheamus vs Joe bloggs on Raw, Sin Cara vs Primo on Raw. These are all matches with known outcomes but are still very enjoyable.

• Moderators
Hello all. I would like to post a discussion about spoilers and mainly why people read them.

I do not read spoilers for Raw/Smackdown/Impact/PPVS. I want to be able to watch the show not knowing what happens or any of the match results. I feel if you do read spoilers it renders you watching the show your are going to watch redundant. I hear people say they read spoilers as they want to know if the show is going to be any good or not. I do not understand this. Why can't you just go and watch the show with fresh eyes and after viewing the show decide for yourself if the show you just watched was good or was not good. It is like going to the cinema. You don't go to the cinema to watch a movie but before you step foot inside the cinema you have read plot spoilers and know how the movie ends. If you know what happens in the movie then why pay to watch the film in the first place?

The only acceptable way i can see spoilers being read by people is that if you watch say Smackdown on a regular basis but one week cannot watch as you got something on you read the spoilers so then next week you know what happened last week when they refer to things on TV.

Die.

Archived