Sidney Lumet dies at 86

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
"Acclaimed film director Sidney Lumet, whose New York-based films were regarded as classics, has died at the age of 86, his family says.

He died at his Manhattan home of lymphoma, his step-daughter said. Lumet rose to prominence with the jury-room drama 12 Angry Men; other major films included Dog Day Afternoon, Network, and Serpico. He directed more than 40 films, which garnered some 50 Oscar nominations, Reuters news agency said.

The son of actors, he began as an actor in Yiddish theatre in New York, before moving into film direction in the 1950s. His first film, the low-budget legal drama 12 Angry Men, was nominated for a string of Oscars. Throughout the rest of his career he was regarded as a master of the cinematic craft, respected by actors and fellow directors alike.

"While the goal of all movies is to entertain, the kind of film in which I believe goes one step further," the New York Times quoted him as saying. "It compels the spectator to examine one facet or another of his own conscience. It stimulates thought and sets the mental juices flowing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13025258

Although this story covers what are probably his best known and arguably best films, it doesn't tell the story of what an exceptional career he had. Fail Safe, The Deadly Affair, The Anderson Tapes, The Offence (probably Sean Connery's best ever performance), Deathtrap, The Verdict, Q&A and Family Business, amongst others, are all outstanding films.

He was one of my very favourite directors and if I was to recommend any of his films first and foremost, it would be Serpico. And if you haven't seen 12 Angry Men yet, you must.

RIP.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Gladstone say 12 Angry Men is an amazing film, I wasn't expecting much when I first watched it but it blew me away.

Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico I wasn't greatly impressed with (maybe I need to watch them again), but The Anderson Tapes, The Offence, The Network, The Verdict and Family Business are all great films. I Guess I haven't seen enough of his work.

RIP

• Paid Members

No, he did have a couple of clunkers in his locker, mainly I think because he never took 'safe' projects and always wanted to take a risk.

The Offence is a film that everyone should see and one that still resonates today because of its subject matter. Sean Connery's most serious and probably best role.

• Paid Members
A genuine legend of his profession. Kinda wish he didn't tarnish his rep with the fucking dreadful Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, but you can't win 'em all.

What's so wrong with it? Not arguing but noticed it has 7.4/10 on IMDB which isn't a bad rating. Not that IMDB is the be all and what have you but it's normally a reasonable guide.

12 Angry Men has 8.9/10.

• Paid Members
A genuine legend of his profession. Kinda wish he didn't tarnish his rep with the fucking dreadful Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, but you can't win 'em all.

Nothing wrong with the direction of that film. Theres some clunky moments in the scripting but I wouldnt say it went anywhere near tarnishing his reputation. If you want to point out a potential career killer look no further than The Wiz

• Paid Members

i knew Seven was going to pop in with his hated for Before The Devil Knows Your Dead...he hardly tarnished his reputation, the film gained some critical aclaim. Just another case of Seven trying to pipe in acting like he knows better than everyone else.

I thought it was a great movie.

Before The Devil Knows Your Dead

have a little read of that and decide whether you think Lumet harmed his reputation at all by making the film.

• Paid Members
i knew Seven was going to pop in with his hated for Before The Devil Knows Your Dead...he hardly tarnished his reputation, the film gained some critical aclaim. Just another case of Seven trying to pipe in acting like he knows better than everyone else.

Don't be so wet. All he did was give an opinion about a film, what part of it was him saying he was better than everyone else?

have a little read of that and decide whether you think Lumet harmed his reputation at all by making the film.

Indeed, no doubt towing the same cinematography and "wooden" line he does for every film he decides he hates. Sad really.

• Paid Members

Indeed, no doubt towing the same cinematography and "wooden" line he does for every film he decides he hates. Sad really.

And your thoughts on Sydney Lumet, the acclaimed New York film director who has sadly died, you dullard troll?

Yikes. I didn't realise my opinion was so offensive. Then again Ebb loves to go all hardcore black and white when it comes to me.

Do I throw around the word "wooden" a lot? I really don't think I do. Same goes for cinematography.

Ok, regarding BTDKYD... I was really looking forward to it. I love Philip Seymour Hoffman and Albert Finney and the premise had merit, but it's just really really dull, convoluted and well, silly. Having one of the single worst actors to have a successful career in the form of Ethan Hawke was never going to help matters, but you'd think the presence of other good actors and Marisa Tomei being naked could liven things up. Alas, that's not the case.

It's also one of those interesting films in the sense that it has some deeply unlikeable characters at the forefront but rather than draw you in, you just want these people to shut the fuck up and get off your screen. Take a film like The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford. The two main characters are deeply hateful, from several points of view. And yet they are fascinating creatures that make for some genuinely intriguing character studies. Look at Glengarry Glen Ross. Bastards, almost every single one of them and it's one of the greatest films ever made and easily my favourite. You put hateful characters in a film, you better do a damn good job of fleshing them out. BTDKYD just has selfish pricks running around being selfish pricks. Difference here is; they're also deeply uninteresting and unengaging.

So yeah, it sucks. Wasn't taking a shot at Lumet. He's made some unforgettable classics (12 Angry Men is in my top ten for sure) but this film is a piece of shit.

But hey I'm just a troll right?

Yikes. I didn't realise my opinion was so offensive. Then again Ebb loves to go all hardcore black and white when it comes to me.

Do I throw around the word "wooden" a lot? I really don't think I do. Same goes for cinematography.

Ok, regarding BTDKYD... I was really looking forward to it. I love Philip Seymour Hoffman and Albert Finney and the premise had merit, but it's just really really dull, convoluted and well, silly. Having one of the single worst actors to have a successful career in the form of Ethan Hawke was never going to help matters, but you'd think the presence of other good actors and Marisa Tomei being naked could liven things up. Alas, that's not the case.

It's also one of those interesting films in the sense that it has some deeply unlikeable characters at the forefront but rather than draw you in, you just want these people to shut the fuck up and get off your screen. Take a film like The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford. The two main characters are deeply hateful, from several points of view. And yet they are fascinating creatures that make for some genuinely intriguing character studies. Look at Glengarry Glen Ross. Bastards, almost every single one of them and it's one of the greatest films ever made and easily my favourite. You put hateful characters in a film, you better do a damn good job of fleshing them out. BTDKYD just has selfish pricks running around being selfish pricks. Difference here is; they're also deeply uninteresting and unengaging.

So yeah, it sucks. Wasn't taking a shot at Lumet. He's made some unforgettable classics (12 Angry Men is in my top ten for sure) but this film is a piece of shit.

But hey I'm just a troll right?

*gasp* tell me you didn't just say that. What on earth is wrong with Ethan Hawke??

Archived