Sidney Lumet dies at 86

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Can we all just agree than Ethan Hawke is a ratty little shit and move on.

I will say that Richard Linklater hasnt done anything of note since Dazed and Confused (which is a great little film)

I disagree with Nev about bloody everything, music and film, but he actually bothers to construct his own opinions and back them up unlike the vast majority of posters on this forum who either cut and paste it from elsewhere or just seem to absorb everything without any critical insight.

And he's right on Ethan Hawke, he's terrible. Linklater too, apart from Dazed and Confused which I love.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Sorry to bump this thread, but I thought I might as well:

When I read this thread, I was rather ashamed to realise I hadn't seen any Sidney Lumet movies except for Serpico, so I decided to remedy this situation. Since then, following the recommendation of the guys on this thread, I've watched Dog Day Afternoon, The Anderson Tapes and Twelve Angry Men. I've also managed to download The Offence and The Deadly Affair.

I've just finished watching Twelve Angry Men, and I have to say: what a magnificent movie. The plot is pretty predictable from the start, but the journey towards the inevitable conclusion is incredibly enjoyable and well-crafted. The use of close-ups, as well as almost the entirety of the film being set in the jurors' room, contributes to not only a palpable and textured tension, but also towards using each character's relevant quirks and personality as part of an expertly woven mesh of interplays. Henry Fonda is excellent as the voice of reason, Lee J. Cobb is superb as the loud bastard with an axe to grind, E.G. Marshall is sublime as the exact anti-Fonda with his rational countering of Fonda's points and eventual conversion via the same adherence to rationale, and Jack Warden did his job well as a flippant, dislikable jack-ass who sees no further than the baseball game he has tickets for.

The Anderson Tapes is a slick and swervy piece of work, with Connery playing a man clearly at severe odds with the new world around him. It's clear he'd have been a gentleman thief before he went into the slammer, but, on his exit, his inability to adapt to the new network of cameras and security systems which have made him both an irrelevance and something of an anachronism leads him to be dismissive, rather than wary, of it. The most impressive irony, of course, is that the system of which he has been so dangerously contemptuous leads to at first his downfall, and then his possible salvation - his reliance on exclusively pre-tech systems causes him to make fatal mistakes, yet the state's new-found reliance on them negates these mistakes.

Dog Day Afternoon's a funny one. Difficult to know what Lumet was going for in terms of the feelings he was attempting to elicit; I remember reading somewhere (I thought it was IMDB but I can't find the relevant line) that supposedly a motif of his films was the way in which he attempted to make them appeal to the viewer's conscience in some way or another. Dog Day Afternoon certainly does this (as does Twelve Angry Men and, to a much more limited extent, The Anderson Tapes), and you can see why Lumet therefore chose the original real-life situation to make the film of it, but whilst Pacino's character is definitely likable, personable and has sympathetic traits, in counterpoint to Chris Sarandon's tortured Leon, it's difficult to see him as being the one who's truly suffering and hard done-by in this piece. He's fighting for someone he loves, and demonstrating that love through extreme measures, but his disregard for his children puts him in a less sympathetic light and more in one which colours him a little as a bit of a whimsical and childish guy throwing an extreme tantrum in the face of denial. Sarandon's performance is nothing short of brilliant; his recounting of the suicide tale moved me almost to tears. I have to echo the sentiments made earlier in this thread that, on the basis of this performance, as well as his wonderfully theatrical, fairytale villain as Prince Humperdinck in The Princess Bride, I find it mind-boggling his career did not take a more stellar path.

In short, I'm immensely enjoying my Sidney Lumet Catch-Up Project, and I hope to be able to catch some more in the next few weeks.

I will get around to re-watching Dog Day Afternoon sooner rather than later I hope. It's a film that made such an impression on me when I was 15 but I feel like I would appreciate the film more or perhaps in a different way now. One thing I almost certainly remember appreciating is the performances of not only Pacino but also of the wonderful John Cazale. It's incredible to think that he only appeared in five films whilst he was alive but what an actor and what a resume: The Godfather trilogy, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter.

Archived