Sidney Lumet dies at 86

Devon Malcolm

Oh come on. How can you like him? How can anyone like him? He is just AWFUL. There is not a more punchable face going in a Hollywood actor (don't provide alternatives, I would rather watch a film with Martin Lawrence in it than Hawke). From his sub-Tom Cruise voice to his utterly undeservedly smug facial expressions and demeanour, his success in films (albeit modest) is one of history's greatest crimes.

Also, he's mates with Richard Linklater. Do NOT tell me you like his work.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh come on. How can you like him? How can anyone like him? He is just AWFUL. There is not a more punchable face going in a Hollywood actor (don't provide alternatives, I would rather watch a film with Martin Lawrence in it than Hawke). From his sub-Tom Cruise voice to his utterly undeservedly smug facial expressions and demeanour, his success in films (albeit modest) is one of history's greatest crimes.

Also, he's mates with Richard Linklater. Do NOT tell me you like his work.

You DON'T like Richard Linklater!!!? This is probably gonna sidetrack the sidney lumet thread but I bloody love Linklater, and Ethan Hawke is awesome. End of.

Lolz @ Martin Lawrence!

Richard Linklater is a pox on the film industry. Dazed and Confused is a bit of fun but that's where the goodwill ends. If it weren't for the existence of Elephant, Waking Life would be the worst film of all time.

Jesus.

Anyway Dazed and Confused and School of Rock are two of the best comedies of all time in my book, then you've got Before Sunrise & Before Sunset, two absolute classics. A Scanner Darkly, Tape, Fast Food Nation, Me and Orson Welles are all great. Never seen Bad News Bears remake or The Newton Boys. While Slacker was good for what it is. I don't much like Waking Life though, but worst of all time is a bit far. What is it you don't like about him? A pox on the film industry is a bit much, considering he is one of the most creative, challenging, unique and individual talents that is out there..

...and I like Elephant :p

Open Water is clearly the worst film ever.

I can't believe there is Ethan Hawke hate out there, is this like when people hate on Keanu Reeves even though he's clearly freaking class and cool as fuck, and a pretty sweet actor.

• Paid Members

Ethan Hawke is shit. Richard Linklater is shit. Keanu Reeves is shit.

I think it's pretty funny though when people get so upset about Mr Seven offering an opinion on something. What would they be like if he told them they had cancer rather than a film they like is crap? We disagree on some things but we give each other a hearty slap on the back and move on to pointing and laughing at mongs. You lot would do well to do the same.

• Paid Members

it aint so much Seven offerering his opinion, i always read his posts as he's one of the best posters here...i just think the guy holds little grudges against things and once he gets chance to spout out his schpiel he does. I remember him given exactly the same speech about Before The Devil Knows Your Dead in the movie thread.

I just get the impression that the guy think his opinion is the gospel and if anyone disagrees with him he'll shit all over them...Gladstone you're just swinging off his nuts.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's just complete tripe though, Ebb. As I just pointed out, I've disagreed with him on a number of things but I don't make the mistake of being over-sensitive about his opinions and as such just randomly term him a troll like most around here. We agree to disagree and we move on. Try it, it works wonders for us.

Ethan Hawke is shit. Richard Linklater is shit. Keanu Reeves is shit.

I think it's pretty funny though when people get so upset about Mr Seven offering an opinion on something. What would they be like if he told them they had cancer rather than a film they like is crap? We disagree on some things but we give each other a hearty slap on the back and move on to pointing and laughing at mongs. You lot would do well to do the same.

Is this directed at me or Ebb? I wasn't upset, he has an opinion and I was interested in hearing it....that is about it...

• Paid Members
Yeah, that's just complete tripe though, Ebb. As I just pointed out, I've disagreed with him on a number of things but I don't make the mistake of being over-sensitive about his opinions and as such just randomly term him a troll like most around here. We agree to disagree and we move on. Try it, it works wonders for us.

i'm probably the least argumentive person on this board, i don't take anything seriously on here it's just fun to me...the only thing that bugs me about Seven is that he kind of comes across as a bully, he attacks peoples comments and he ridicules any opinion that he doesn't agree with. Maybe i take it wrong, but that's how i feel.

I mean, Gladstone you accused someone else of trolling in here but Seven's the one who came into a 'RIP' thread and decided to pipe in with his negative opinion...now there's nothing that says he can't do that, but for me that's the worst case of trolling going on in here.

Who did I attack? The film? Did people on here invest in it?

Also, I like your "Seven holds grudges, he said the same thing about BTDKYD when he first saw it!!".

Right so, it's not that I have the same opinion when discussing the film again in a relevant setting, it's that I've broken out my hate-tinted blueprints and launched my latest dastardly attack. Ok.

Archived