My Best Film?

M-Dudz

• Paid Members

I just realised I didn't actually answer myself. The correct answer would be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, of course, but I've always enjoyed The Cable Guy and don't really understand a lot of the hate it seems to get. I thought it was a very good dark comedy and am slightly surprised that it hasn't achieved a cult status yet. I want my Cable Guy blu-ray! :(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Well, I'm probably not the best person to ask that of, as I hated Eternal Sunshine, so... but in any regard, I thought The Truman Show was the film of his where I was most impressed by his performance, I really think he's great in that part and does practically none of his goofing around which is refreshing. The Truman Show is quite underrated, I think it's a culturally significant film, predating Big Brother by a year or two and presaging the whole reality tv phenomenon.

Loki is bang on the money here. I also have a soft spot for Ace Ventura Pet Detective as I remember back in the day while waiting to watch WCW Worldwide at some unearthly hour watching In Living Color which featured Carrey, Jamie Foxx, the Wayans in a comedy skit show. then followed by that really rubbish student cooking programme (The name escapes me) followed by Americas Top 10 with Casey Casam counting down and AVPD being featured. Telling people about the film months before it came out it would be good. I think it's suffered from an overkill of Carrey hit and miss comedy performances over the years and that god awful Ace Ventura Jr film. Bruce Almighty was a return of sorts for the gurning Carrey as well.

++Edit++

Actually Lemony Snicketts is a excellent Carrey film. The Majestic and Earth Girls are Easy deserve honourable mentions too.

However Mr.Poppers Penguins looks to be like Carrey's Daddy Day Care (Eddie Murphy) movie.

• Paid Members
Just think, if Jennifer Aniston is the next subject of these threads, TripleA will get another chance to confirm to us that he's only seen one film.

I've seen Evan Almighty too. In your face.

• Paid Members
Dumb And Dumber IS overrated. It has several outstanding little scenes but some that do not work at all. But some treat it like it deserves to be up there with Blazing Saddles and Sons Of The Desert, which it clearly does not.

Blazing Saddles is the most overrated comedy ever. Great film but is usually in the top 5 of greatest comedy lists, which is ridiculous.

Dumb and Dumber is under-rated. Its absolutely fantastic, but is usually lost in the shuffle of great comedy lists. I bet if you did a poll more people would say something painfully average like 'The Hangover' is better than D&D. Disgrace!

I'd say Dumb and Dumber is Carrey's best film. Its between that and the Truman show. But D&D is more entertaining to me and can be watched more frequently. The Truman show is absolutely brilliant though.

I honestly cannot see what Dumb & Dumber has that would cause anyone to rate it so highly aside from, like I say, several very good short set-pieces punctuated by several bits and pieces that really do not work and some pretty average slapstick.

Humour wise it has everything. Silliness, slapstick, parody, montages (helped by the awesome soundtrack). Plus genuinely well written jokes that make you laugh from reading a print out of the script.

Its not all just chucked together either. There's a great road trip story with unrequited love and friendship added too. I feel mental de-constructing a comedy like this but the bottom line is that funny is funny. The movie to me is incredibly entertaining with a strong joke count, many of which are genuinely laugh out loud funny. Even after seeing it so many times.

Plus I'd say Jeff Daniels clearly outperforms Carrey in this anyway. But each to their own.

I wouldnt go that far, but I'd certainly say he holds his own against Carrey. Its a shame he shies away from comedies, he was brilliant.

Blazing Saddles is an almost flawless piece of movie comedy, in my opinion.

I think a comedy masterpiece should have a lot more great gags than BS has. It has a few duller parts and I dont think its particularly rewatchable either. Overall a very good film with a few big laughs, but not a masterpiece, in my opinion.

No love for Bruce Almighty? :(

No, Its tripe. I was surprised Liar Liar got quite a few votes too. I thought it was painfully average.

• Paid Members

Ace Ventura Pet Detective is not only my favourite Jim Carrey film but probably my all-time favourite film. It suprises me how many people regard the sequel higher than the original, too.

"Here Snowflake..."

ace_ventura.gif

I have already voted The Truman Show but thought id mention The Number 23 which I really enjoyed and also Yes Man I thought was quite decent but enjoy most of Jim Carey's films, his comedy I could watch several times over and over and never be bored. But Truman show to me brought the very best out of Jim Carey, will have to give The Man On The Moon and The Cable Guy a watch though...these films have somehow got past me throughout the years!

I only got round to seeing The Truman Show a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant however childhood nostalgia dictates that Dumb and Dumber wins every time!

"We got no food, no jobs... our PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!" :laugh:

This is well tough. I'm having trouble deciding between:

Man on the Moon

The Truman Show

Eternal Sunshine

I would probably keep them in this order.

that really rubbish student cooking programme

"Get Stuffed!" And yes, it was fucking abhorrent.

WHAT!

Get Stuffed was a tremendous five minutes late night. I'm always hunting for more episodes of it to download.

Archived