My Best Film?

M-Dudz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's The Truman Show or Man On The Moon for me. I've only recently seen the latter and loved every minute of it. Truman Show never gets old, excellent film.

As for typical "Jim Carrey" roles, The Mask is easily a favourite. I'll also give a shout to Bruce Almighty which I think is very underrated.

• Paid Members

I'll always have a place in my heart for Me, Myself and Irene, because it was on On Digital Box Office when we had the card chipped back in 2001. It was a great year. Just left school and I spent the whole summer knocking about with my mates thinking we were the nWo because we werent at school anymore, and when I came in, you'd have free shit like Deuce Bigelow and Union Jaxxx 3: Banging Abroad on the Adult Channel. Those were the days.

But I'll probably have to go with Man on the Moon or Dumb and Dumber. Great performances and for two totally different reasons.

Just a suggestion, but if you're going to do more of these threads (you should, it's a good idea) then a poll would probably be cool.

I considered setting up a poll but figured I might miss out some people's favourites so decided against it. And when it comes to Di Nero, Eastwood and the like, it'll be hard to choose which films go on the poll. I'll do one if everyone wants though? Shall i start a poll asking if we should have a poll? ;)

Clear winner here though is Truman Show. I thought it'd be more split between that and Spotless Mind. Pleased to see the odd vote for Batman because I enjoyed the Riddler a great deal.

I cannot say enough good things about Man On The Moon, it has everything; comedy, drama, romance, heartbreak, Jerry Lawler. Hell, it even managed to make Courtney Love look like a human being, which is a remarkable achievement in itself.

Damn, I'd forgotten about that! That is a pretty fantastic film. I may have to switch to that as my choice. Nice one Vito.

The Truman show is in my top ten favourite films of all time, it's an absolute no brainer decision for me.

That said it doesn't put down any of Carrey's other works, he's one of my favourite actors. While some of his films haven't appealed to everyone, and some of them to very select audience, there's something unexplainably eyecatching about watching him. I'm drawn to watching him, the rest of the film could be utter shite but I'm so hooked on him I can't switch off.

The Truman show had it all for me though, and it wasn't just "Jim Carrey in another wacky comedy" role either, also it had Ed Harris in it and I can't fault that man.

What got me about that film though, was at times I was watching it and forgetting that it's a film about a tv show, and was watching the "show" and thinking that was the film, and not that it's a play within a play so to speak.

• Paid Members
Am I alone in hating Dumb & Dumber?

Almost definitely.

It's incredibly over-rated but then I've never been a huge fan of that kind of humor.

By who? :confused:

Social groups, generally online, etc.

• Paid Members

Dumb And Dumber IS overrated. It has several outstanding little scenes but some that do not work at all. But some treat it like it deserves to be up there with Blazing Saddles and Sons Of The Desert, which it clearly does not.

• Paid Members
Dumb And Dumber IS overrated. It has several outstanding little scenes but some that do not work at all. But some treat it like it deserves to be up there with Blazing Saddles and Sons Of The Desert, which it clearly does not.

Blazing Saddles is the most overrated comedy ever. Great film but is usually in the top 5 of greatest comedy lists, which is ridiculous.

Dumb and Dumber is under-rated. Its absolutely fantastic, but is usually lost in the shuffle of great comedy lists. I bet if you did a poll more people would say something painfully average like 'The Hangover' is better than D&D. Disgrace!

I'd say Dumb and Dumber is Carrey's best film. Its between that and the Truman show. But D&D is more entertaining to me and can be watched more frequently. The Truman show is absolutely brilliant though.

• Paid Members

Blazing Saddles is the most overrated comedy ever. Great film but is usually in the top 5 of greatest comedy lists, which is ridiculous.

Dumb and Dumber is under-rated. Its absolutely fantastic, but is usually lost in the shuffle of great comedy lists. I bet if you did a poll more people would say something painfully average like 'The Hangover' is better than D&D. Disgrace!

I'd say Dumb and Dumber is Carrey's best film. Its between that and the Truman show. But D&D is more entertaining to me and can be watched more frequently. The Truman show is absolutely brilliant though.

I honestly cannot see what Dumb & Dumber has that would cause anyone to rate it so highly aside from, like I say, several very good short set-pieces punctuated by several bits and pieces that really do not work and some pretty average slapstick. Plus I'd say Jeff Daniels clearly outperforms Carrey in this anyway. But each to their own. Blazing Saddles is an almost flawless piece of movie comedy, in my opinion.

Archived