lost

wwffan2

It's the single most overrated television show in history. The first half of the first series wrote a cheque the writers couldn't cash with the rest of the run.

• Paid Members
i was a massive lost fan but was so upset by the ending to series 6 what did everyone else make of it and the show in general.

I love the show until the last season. It had it's moments but I think the Producers were too focused on answering questions than telling a good story. I personally would much rather have had the potentially awesome reveal that Hurley's "Ghosts" were actually the Smoke Monster (which is absolutely where they were heading from Season 4 onwards) than find out what the whispers we heard back in season one were, especially since the answer to that question was so completely shit.

Some of the dialogue was so forced at times that they'd have been as well just having facts pop up like in that old show on VH1 (Pop Up Video?). A bubble saying "Did you know that the Smoke Monster can only take the form of people that have died on the Island" would've been less distracting than the awkward scene were he said it to (I think) Jack.

Season 5 is still one of my favourite seasons of any television show ever though.

I played the ARG between season 1 & 2 I was loving it.

The dismissal by the writers/producers of the they are in limbo/purgatory/ethereal realm or whatever made me what to find out what WAS going on.

Oh yeah, then they WERE in limbo/purgatory/ethereal realm. Great. Fuck you. (Not you personally, the writers.)

• Paid Members
Oh yeah, then they WERE in limbo/purgatory/ethereal realm. Great. Fuck you. (Not you personally, the writers.)

But they weren't, only the season 5 'flashes' were them in a limbo state.

As a die hard fan and big defender of Lost, I found it hard to defend season 6. However I was not a fan of season 5 first time round and when I rewatched it without a weeks break between each episode I did enjoy it more, maybe the same will happen when I do the same with season 6.

Knowing what a dreadful, monumental let down the finale is, as well as how unnecessarily drawn out the storytelling is along the way, I see little point in rewatching the show. Where is the payoff? It's not like something like The X Files where, even though it went a bit shit at the end, there are still lots of gripping self-contained stories along the way. Lost was just an exercise in "oooh, look a coincidence. what could it mean? tune in next week?"

• Awards Moderator
As a die hard fan and big defender of Lost, I found it hard to defend season 6. However I was not a fan of season 5 first time round and when I rewatched it without a weeks break between each episode I did enjoy it more, maybe the same will happen when I do the same with season 6.

If the season 6 DVDs had an option to watch with the purga-flashes cut out, I'd probably have enjoyed it a lot more.

I am also a die hard and big defender of Lost, like Steve I loved seasons 1 to 5 unconditionally (the odd episode in the first half of season 3 aside), but season 6 was very hit and miss. The hits were big hits, but the misses were more damaging. The pace was completely at odds with previous seasons - if they hadn't spent so much time on the purgatory bit, then things that were, y'know, actually happening in the story could have been given a little bit more time (like, I dunno, whether Desmond ever got to see his wife and son again, or anything at all with Sayid...). I'll admit to liking the ending at the time, and still not really minding it now, but given the choice I'd have been happy without flashes of any kind in the last season and having it focused entirely on the immediate narrative.

The 'New Man in Charge' epilogue went a long way to redeeming it for me, and alternatively I'd have been so much happier with bits in that vein taking the place of limbo. A slow reveal of who looked after the island after the end of the series.

I havent rewatched S6, but from my memory, it seems like every story/mystery/character was done badly. Every thing I think about for that season seems like it ended up as a disappointment; The Temple, Jacob/MIB story, flash-sideways, Whitmore, Richard, 'The Light'. There doesnt seem to be anything that I look back at and think of as being done superbly.

The Jacob/MIB story seems to sum up the last season. People spent ages talking about Jacob, the MIB, and the rules, etc, and all we got for an answer was a poorly done episode, which showed that it all came about because his mom wouldnt let him leave the island, and he fell into 'the light'.

Archived