Hakushi - homeless after tsunami

Jetta's G-string

Just read on JR's twitter that former WWE star Hakushi is homeless and living in his car after the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami, which is horrible news.

Got me thinking about his WWE career, I enjoyed his time there, especially the first few months and his feaud with Bret HArt, he seemed like a real threat. Whats your opinions on him?

**apologies if this has been posted before, i couldn't find it

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was great. Took loads of shit from the 'online community' at the time who wanted him to fit in with your average 100mph MPro cruiserweight, but it wasnt deserved at all, especially considering his gimmick. I don't know why he was turned face and buried, he had a lot of potential in the WWF.

Other than the Hitman matches, my favourites were his series with Sasuke in 94 just before he came to the states, and his tags in AJPW with Hayabusa - there's some real crackers out there vs combinations of kawada, Taue and Akiyama, vs Team No Fear, even Tamon Honda & Jun Izumida. His Tokyo Dome match vs Muta was also really cool.

Hope he gets back on his feet soon and his only loss is material things.

The tats weren't real.

The idea was that he was some kind of monk - Shinto, I guess. He didn't exactly no-sell stuff like classic Undertaker, but there was an element of that in the gimmick. The whole gimmick was a lot more than just him being a wrestler with another job, like an IRS or something. There was always a sense that his religious side gave him other-worldly powers, which is why his movements were always so deliberate and his style was often so different from the other MPW guys.

I'm sure BombCar can say more, but I think the name has some relevance too. If I remember it right, "Jinsei" means something like "soul' or "spirit".

• Paid Members
I'm not really familiar with Hakushi as he was in the WWF before I began to watch wrestling. I know what he looks like, but what more can any one tell me? What was his gimmick? Just bad-ass guy who hails from the Orient?

A calm-and-controlled monk, would be the simplest and most brief way I would describe him to someone unfamiliar. In a pretty rare move, his WWF gimmick was virtually identical to that he used prior to joining WWF and continues to use after he left.

He continues to be somewhat of a cult star to this day and I believe he is the head of the Sendai Girls joshi promotion.

I'm not really familiar with Hakushi as he was in the WWF before I began to watch wrestling. I know what he looks like, but what more can any one tell me? What was his gimmick? Just bad-ass guy who hails from the Orient?

A calm-and-controlled monk, would be the simplest and most brief way I would describe him to someone unfamiliar. In a pretty rare move, his WWF gimmick was virtually identical to that he used prior to joining WWF and continues to use after he left.

He continues to be somewhat of a cult star to this day and I believe he is the head of the Sendai Girls joshi promotion.

He also heads up Michinoku Pro.

There was a match between him and the Undertaker in Japan that was supposed to be pretty decent.

I believe the bout was strangely on a non-WWF card.

Yep. MPW were pretty tight with the WWF for a wee while, for some unknown reason. Undertaker worked that show, as did Sunny and Chris Candido (although it may well have been after Candido left New York). I guess it was around the time they were trying to develop a light-heavyweight division and the MPW guys had just made a big splash at Barely Legal.

• Paid Members

I love Jinsei Shinzaki so much. One of my top 10 favourites for sure, and I've been told off for that by countless people because he really is an exceptionally lazy bastard a lot of the time. His gimmick means that you can sometimes overlook it, but he milks it for all it's worth and uses it as an excuse to do the bare minimum unless he's feeling especially motivated.

It's the gimmick, the look, the spots, the no-selling, the super long entrance and the amazing theme song that I love though. Rope walking, his uppercuts, his fancy mandara hineri, the gokuraku clutch, nembutsu powerbombing the puny cruiserweights and kicking fools in the head. The combination of the gimmick and the way that it ties into every aspect of his performance is what makes it so cool. A sedate pace with explosive yet carefully measured offense, only selling and grimacing in pain very occasionally, every move executed gracefully and with perfect form because getting angry or swinging wildly doesn't make sense for him at all, nor does wrestling a match at 500 miles per hour. It also means that when he does get angry you know it's serious. It also helps that he looks like a mean motherfucker and has a great wrestling physique in the "looks double hard" style as opposed to the underwear model look.

Oh, and he tagged with Hayabusa quite a lot during the 90s, and Hayabusa is my favouritest of them all.

He was actually working WWF shows in Japan around May 94, which was a good 6 or 7 months before he was brought in. He had matches vs guys like the Kid, Tatanka, Doink and Undertaker.

I think that '97 show was the one where Taka and Sasuke continued their feud in a streetfight which was tonnes of fun. Lasted over half an hour iirc.

Archived