Definition of a Transitional Champion

PSF

Watching the Hogan Anthology last night I got to the Shiek match. Although the Iron Shiek was very good at what he did he was only ever given the title to lose it to Hogan. He held the title less than a month. In my opinion he is the most obvious transitional champion ever as it was his oly reign.

Another pick would be Bob Backlund in 1994, wins it from the hitman, then loses it in seconds to Diesel the following night. But he had a long run back in the 80's so could you really class him as a transitional champion?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying that you lot have, but there's tons of people who seems to confuse what I see as being a transitional reign with simply a short reign.

A transitional championship 'run' would be someone who won the belt off wrestler Y and lost it to wrestler Z, perhaps because wrestler Z didn't want to lose to wrestler Y, or maybe it would serve better purposes in the storyline for whatever reason (maybe keeping wrestler Y and Z from meeting until the pay-off show).

A lot of Edge's reigns haven't been transitional because he hasn't been the guy making the transition of the title between two separate wrestlers.

Not saying that you lot have, but there's tons of people who seems to confuse what I see as being a transitional reign with simply a short reign.

A transitional championship 'run' would be someone who won the belt off wrestler Y and lost it to wrestler Z, perhaps because wrestler Z didn't want to lose to wrestler Y, or maybe it would serve better purposes in the storyline for whatever reason (maybe keeping wrestler Y and Z from meeting until the pay-off show).

A lot of Edge's reigns haven't been transitional because he hasn't been the guy making the transition of the title between two separate wrestlers.

Fair point.

To be honest he's had that many title reigns, i can hardly remember most of them.

Some of his reigns that i remember have definatly been "transitional" though, from beating RVD on Raw to losing to Cena in 2006, Survivor Series 2008 to Armageddon 2008 being another one, i'd even call this one transitional as he's the only credible face you could have given the belt too whilst they build ADR up.

The Big Show is a good call too.

Could Sting's TNA reign when he won the belt then dropped it to Abyss the following month count?

Who did he win it from? I'm not too clued up on TNA, sorry.

Crikey, that's the first time i knew that Abyss had held the TNA strap.

That doesn't make him a transitional champion, though. It just makes him, in your opinion, a rubbish one.

Mick Foley's never really held a world title for more than a cup of tea and a biscuit...

The main example that comes to mind is him winning the title in a Triple Threat match with Austin and Triple H, only for Triple H to win it a day later. Seemed weird at the time, considering if Austin didn't want to job cleanly to HHH, they could have done the title switch by Triple H pinning Foley in the triple threat.

The only justification I can think of for the way they did it is that Austin needed time off, and it gave Triple H a reason to be pissed off and injure Austin in kayfabe terms after the match.

• Paid Members
Could Sting's TNA reign when he won the belt then dropped it to Abyss the following month count?

No, but Abyss' was a transitional reign, because they wanted Sting to feud with Christian over the belt. So they had Abyss beat Sting, and Christian beat Abyss and then Sting and Christian feuded. They wanted a situation where they had Christian win the belt and have Sting chase it, but at the same time not have Christian beat Sting for the belt.

EDIT: Just realised Christian did pin Sting in a three-way-dance, so what was the point in Abyss winning the belt in the first place?

Kane first reign

That wouldn't be a transitional reign because he dropped it back to the same person. If the Heel Kane had won it from Face Austin, and then Kane dropped it the following night to a Face Taker, that would be a transitional reign. They'd do that to avoid having a face beat another face.

Thats how i'd class it anyway.

Archived