Being Owed Money

thejeffjarrettone

I had a similar situation like this a few years back. Lent a female friend some money, she then didn't re-pay it but kept spending, then moved in with her loaded boyfriend and still didn't pay it back.

I then did the obvious thing and asked for it. Cue lots of excuses so I said that if she couldn't repay it all in one go (we're talking a few grand) that she do it in installments. Seemed to be ok at first but then this stopped so I went to the next level and told her I wanted all of it straight away. She then got the arse so I said that I'd just take it from her boyfriend by one way or another. Now I wouldn't really reccommend this as 1). You can get in a lot of shit and 2). If you don't go through with it you look a really pussy. Luckily she got scared, knowing the types of people I know, and he coughed up. End of friendship though.

Basically I'd say talk to her reasonably, offer help by her paying installments (even a standing order) and if she's still difficult then I remember a scene in the film 'A Bronx Tale' - let the money and the friendship go. Ok you won't have the money (I presume its a significant amount) but you'll never get jerked around again and she'll lose a friend that she'll never be able to turn to again. If she's being this difficult then she really isn't a friend mate and has just used you.

Otherwise give me a shout - I'll get it back for you for 15%!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Lending money to people is a complete bitch. I guess we all want to feel like we can help if a friend/family member comes to us needing some cash, but nine times out of ten they won't pay it back without you asking them up front for it. Even then you have a battle on your hands to get it back. Many seem to think that when they 'borrow' money, they are getting a gift rather than a loan.

Really, we should all act as loan sharks, and providing it's not just 20 quid or something, a standing order should be set up as was mentioned earlier, for their next payday, to either pay you back in full, and if not in installments with a 5% gain for your help.

Really and truly and without meaning to be horrible, when lending people money, it's quite difficult to come away from it without being out of pocket at least slightly.

Lending money to people is a complete bitch. I guess we all want to feel like we can help if a friend/family member comes to us needing some cash, but nine times out of ten they won't pay it back without you asking them up front for it. Even then you have a battle on your hands to get it back. Many seem to think that when they 'borrow' money, they are getting a gift rather than a loan.

Really, we should all act as loan sharks, and providing it's not just 20 quid or something, a standing order should be set up as was mentioned earlier, for their next payday, to either pay you back in full, and if not in installments with a 5% gain for your help.

Really and truly and without meaning to be horrible, when lending people money, it's quite difficult to come away from it without being out of pocket at least slightly.

I totally agree with this. I decided to lend out some money to a friend who had a similar situation involving potential baliffs, home loss and the like. I never saw that cash again despite asking and trying to take it further.

The moral of the story I think is unless you REALLY know that person SO well that you can be CERTAIN you'll get it back, don't lend friends cash. The moment that money comes into your relationship with that person, there comes an instant risk that your friendship will never quite be the same again.

• Paid Members

Money is a killer of most friendships.

A chinese guy called Yal who lives across the road from me. I done all his carpet work in his new house they guy has got a lot of cash, His new house is massive. He loaned a cousin of his 10 grand to buy a house. His cousin brought a house and then fucked off to Hong Kong and he has never heard from him since. he has learned his lesson and will never loan money to anyone again.

From personal experience:

My sister is a single parent. About 3 years ago she was coming over to my house about 4-5 times a week at dinner time. You feel obliged to feed family. So after a couple of weeks i asked her what was up. She had no money was between jobs and had no food in her house. I have her

• Paid Members
You should have got her to sign some document in hein site, but you don't really do that with friends do you. Just bring up the subject, say you really need it quite urgently, try a guilt trip approach.

:laugh: I love stuff like this. Clearly one of those situations where you've heard the word but never seen it written down before. I admire your boldness is giving it a go; I just avoid using the word in question or try to look it up when I find myself in this situation.

I done this once. When I was a kid I'd heard the word 'biased' but couldn't recall seeing it written down. So, for one time only, I wrote 'byest'. On an English report. :(

You aint getting it back unless you really get aggressive about it, at which point she'll pull the "poor me" routine and alienate you to all your mutual friends.

Not too worried about that. We have 3 friends in commmon, and 2 of them are dicks.

• Paid Members
You aint getting it back unless you really get aggressive about it, at which point she'll pull the "poor me" routine and alienate you to all your mutual friends.

So you may as well go out with a bang and nut the bitch out.

Start harassing her and her loved ones. Especially her loved ones. Not just at home, but at work, in the toilet, down the pub, wherever. Then crank it up a notch by putting posters up of her around which shithole area that she lives in. Stuff like "[insert Name Here] sucks off strangers. Call her on 0777777777777". The thing is you may not get your money back. But at least you can get some pride back by ruining the next six months to a couple of years of this person's life.

Archived