Most disgusting/Best promotional tactic

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Came over this poster on ProWrestlingOnly. It's from Angelo Poffo's outlaw fed ICW which was at war with Memphis.

05208020icw20ad20lexington20ky2020part202.jpg

That is a horrid, yet utterly tremendous way of promoting. Shows the Memphis lads are wankers if they don't show, and if they do (which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have) the biggest stars of Memphis show up on the outlaw's card. Win/Win and terrific. Can anyone else think of other great ways of promoting like this?

• Paid Members
Regarding the poster in the OP, to the best of my knowledge only one wrestler on the card has passed away. The card was about 30 years ago. Not something you could say about many far more recent events.

I long for the days of exploiting cerebal palsy. The business was so much more healthier and without all the drug related deaths the morality level was up as well.

• Moderators

Indeed. It's well known that Wrestling was far cleaner and better when black lads fought gorillas, Dick Murdoch would spout racist rhetoric even as a face and David Manning would sign pictures of a dead David Von Erich which they'd sell at the sportatorium.

Roddy Piper wrestled a bear. I guess it was probably the same bear.

I reckon fighting a gorilla is even more stupid, but it would have been drugged to the eyeballs at the time I imagine.

In more recent years, Bischoff's open challenge to Vince McMahon had that same craziness about it. You knew it wasn't going to happen, but... this IS wrestling...

• Paid Members
In more recent years, Bischoff's open challenge to Vince McMahon had that same craziness about it. You knew it wasn't going to happen, but... this IS wrestling...

Wasn't Eric's fault that Vince bottled it. Bischoff would have needed one kick to the tample. Wouldn't have even taked his biker jacket off.

• Moderators
Stand up for WWE is as bad as any of these

Yeah. It's obviously as bad as exploiting celebral palsy charities to make a rival company look bad and having black lads wrestle gorillas. If not worse. Obviously.

Archived