Pimp me some TV shows

Steve Justice

I've gone on another marathon watch of some the popular TV shows, but now I'm coming to the end I'm thinking 'what's next'.

This is what I've watched or already watching:-

Lost

Dexter

House

The Shield

Chuck

Prison Break

I've tried to watch a couple of new one's like Flash Forward and The Event but both are pretty poor. I got quite away into True Blood but it seemed to completely lose direction and didn't know what it was supposed to be anymore. And I've watched the first series of The Wire which I enjoyed but was a little slow paced. By the time I got about 3 episodes into the second series I lost interest.

I've heard good things about Deadwood & Sons of Anarchy so might look into those, but any others you can recommend? A mate of mine is always banging on about how good Firefly is too. Anyone share the same thoughts?

• Paid Members

MURDER ONE. Not the second series though, it was shit. The first series was awesome though, best legal drama series of all time.

Also, Hill Street Blues if you want to go back even further. That was great all the way through its run.

Sons of Anarchy is my thumbs up for you sir. Season One was good, a solid start. Season 2 was fantastic, Henry Rollins in my view was the MVP of that season. Season 3 wasn't bad but suffered with the Northern Ireland angle. coming from Northern Ireland myself, i was annoyed at the depiction of how it is in Belfast.

would also recommend the reboot of 'V'. massive massive fan of the original and was sceptical as anything when they announced the reboot. however i was impressed. only drawback would be the use of CGI for the interior of the Motherships. would have preferred a proper set, as in the original

For a bit of Horror/Thriller try Harpers Island. It only ran for one season but I really enjoyed it. Also if you want a laugh get into How I Met Your Mother. I am suprised more people dont watch this as its flipping brilliant. Currently on season 6 so there is some catching up to do.

As mentioned the new V is enjoyable too.

• Paid Members

ive just started on The Wire...i'm the same as you in that i watched The Shield first, which is my favorite show ever, but 8 episodes into The Wire and i am fucking hooked big time. It's gripping stuff.

Entourage is brilliant too, if you're a fan of the movie business and basically want some straight up entertainment, Entourage is for you.

Also Breaking Bad, Californication, Rescue Me, Arrested Development.

• Paid Members

I've never seen Oz either, despite it being completely my kind of thing. I started watching The West Wing, got up to Season 3 & despite it being brilliantly written & acted I couldn't help but find it a bit twee? Then again, we started it after The Wire & the final season of The Shield so I guess everything will seem a tad fluffy after that.

I'll second Entourage, consistently great. I'll also add Curb Your Enthusiasm & Eastbound & Down if you're after funny.

Mad Men is a real favourite of mine probably my favourite drama of the past decade.

Plus another vote for The Wire, been watching it all the way through again and it really never gets old and you'll pick up new things each watching.

Yeah I love The Wire, but if you find it slow watch Homicide Life on the Street from the 90's. Its great cop drama and more of a "TV Show" than the wire.

Also echo the Firefly love, Dollhouse is worth a watch too. Can't reccomend The Shield, Sons of Anarchy or Justified enough

I can never get into Mad Men, I own the first series, but I can never get past half way, I just lose interest...

• Paid Members
I can never get into Mad Men, I own the first series, but I can never get past half way, I just lose interest...

Boo! The first series is slower paced, but it builds all the characters up. I finished season 4 recently and loved it.

Archived