20 movies you must (apparently) own!

Surf Digby

• Paid Members

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article/11...u-must-own.html

Now I agree that there's films you ought to see, even if they're shit, just to see what the fuss is over. However, these are 20 films that we should all apparently be spending money on the DVD of, rather than wait for Channel 5 to show.

Anchorman

We'd say arguably the screwiest and funniest American comedy since 'The Jerk' (except, anyone who would argue against that point clearly doesn't know what they're talking about). 'Anchorman' is pure comedy brilliance, packed with some of the most quotable lines heard since the likes of 'Airplane' - such as Ron referring to Brian's cologne:

• Paid Members

The only one on that list that I would personally feel that you shouldn't have to own is Shaun of the Dead, not because it's a bad film, far from it, but it's hardly must have either.

• Paid Members
The only one on that list that I would personally feel that you shouldn't have to own is Shaun of the Dead, not because it's a bad film, far from it, but it's hardly must have either.

On a list with Anchorman and Clerks you picked that out?

• Paid Members

Personally, I'd lose 'Anchorman' and replace it with 'Some Like It Hot', and I'd replace 'The Matrix' with 'Fight Club'. Also, for personal preference, I'd replace 'The Goonies' with 'Transformers: The Movie'.

• Paid Members

Hmmm... I count 23 movies on that list. Just because they made four movies doesn't mean they get to count under one heading. That alone makes the list a complete fuck up, even without the fact they added some complete crap on there.

I love how in the write up for Anchorman the tit who wrote it mentions Airplane! and yet doesn't include it on the list. As if Airplane! Is somehow worse than Anchorman in that sense.

I hope that idiot didn't get paid to write that crap.

• Paid Members

The list can't decide if its based on how good the DVD is or for the film itself. Clerks and The Alien Quadriligy seem to be included for the extras, Rear Window is a vanilla disc. There are plenty of mediocre films that have had amazing DVD releases if thats the case

• Paid Members

The Alien quadrilogy is an excellent choice I think. Name another series of films (of varying quality) with a list of directors as diverse as Scott, Cameron, Fincher and Jeunet, all of whom are outstanding in their own right giving their interpretation on the popular franchise.

In the write-up for Anchorman it mentions 'The Jerk', yet also doesn't include it in the list. It's Steve Martin when he was actually funny without co-starring John Candy. If that's not a rarity I don't know what is.

But as has been previously mentioned I think this isn't a 'films you need to see/own' list as opposed to a list of 'DVD's which are really good (so go and buy them)'. It's basically an advertisement and therefore has no validity/credibilty whatsoever, so take it with a pinch of salt.

• Paid Members
The Exorcist? Fuck that. It definately deserves to be seen, because of all the hype around it, but it's not worth spending money on. It's not aged well, and really doesn't warrant repeated viewings. I'm guessing there's no deleted scenes on theDVD, so unless it's in the bargain bin and has really, really good extras, this one isnt deserving of being on this list.

I thought that the first time I saw it at the cinema when it was rereleased in 1998 or so. I then didn't rewatch it until last year. Then I realised that it's a stunningly put together religious horror, and the story of Father Karras is brilliantly done.

Lose all the hype, and watch entirely for his story. It becomes a much, much better movie.

I'm not a huge fan of Anchorman. I love some of the other Mckay/Ferrell films but never thought all that much of Anchorman.

I do own Clerks on DVD twice I think. I think as a "wahey! Let's go and make a film!" bit of inspiration, it's great, as is the documentary on the disc. But Clerks as a film is a bit rubbish.

Shaun of the Dead is superb. One of my all-time favourites.

Archived