Paid Members Tommy! Posted December 31, 2010 Paid Members Posted December 31, 2010 "Entertainment" is fair criteria for a pro-wrestler but it has to come alongside having good matches or drawing money. I couldn't give a fuck who draws what to be honest. If I did, I wouldn't have nominated Kevin Steen, which incidentally hasn't caused one word to be said about it. On the good matches part, who says people haven't enjoyed Kevin Nash's matches? He's not had a good match all year. You might not care who draws what but it's measurable criteria of how successful a wrestler is. Like in 1998, Steve Austin's ring work wasn't his best but he was a massive draw, hence his position as the top pro-wrestler in the world. If a wrestler is not having good matches and not helping his company make money, he's not particularly successful. I'm not suggesting Loki and Gladstone shouldn't nominate him, they are entitled to their vote. I'm entitled to think it's laughable too. Well, just to stick my bit in, I'd say Austin's rind work was part of what made him so big at the time, just as much so as his character which was off the chain. He knew just how to pace and work the style he did, when to do what to make them get out their seats. Thats just a big a part of it as anything I think, especially as it let him work around injury's and weak spots on his body. I'm sure some one will pick me up on what ring work is and how pacing and sociology and that aren't part of it or something, but for me those things make a match and Austin knew how to do them match in and match out, he knew how to make what he did matter. That's my take any way. Also on "Entertainment is fair criteria for a pro-wrestler but it has to come alongside having good matches" It could be argued, could it not, that if people have enjoyed Nash's match's then by virtue it must be a good match, as the whole aim is to entertain Any way, I'll go with Shamus, Cena, Miz and Bryan
animalunleashed1989 Posted January 1, 2011 Posted January 1, 2011 (edited) CM Punk Sheamus The Miz Davey Richards Daniel Bryan Edited January 1, 2011 by animalunleashed1989
iamtheman Posted January 1, 2011 Posted January 1, 2011 Daniel Bryan Kurt Angle CM Punk The Miz AJ Styles
lightningxlock Posted January 4, 2011 Posted January 4, 2011 (edited) Takeshi Suguira Chris Hero Daisuke Sekimoto Davey Richards Daniel Bryan Dolph Ziggler Edited January 4, 2011 by lightningxlock
Paid Members martyngnr Posted January 4, 2011 Paid Members Posted January 4, 2011 Daniel Bryan Shawn Michaels Kurt Angle
TysonSL Posted January 4, 2011 Posted January 4, 2011 (edited) Kurt Angle Davey Richards Shingo Prince Devitt Marufuji El Generico Edited January 4, 2011 by TysonSL
TheBigBoot Posted January 4, 2011 Posted January 4, 2011 (edited) "Entertainment" is fair criteria for a pro-wrestler but it has to come alongside having good matches or drawing money. I couldn't give a fuck who draws what to be honest. If I did, I wouldn't have nominated Kevin Steen, which incidentally hasn't caused one word to be said about it. On the good matches part, who says people haven't enjoyed Kevin Nash's matches? He's not had a good match all year. You might not care who draws what but it's measurable criteria of how successful a wrestler is. Like in 1998, Steve Austin's ring work wasn't his best but he was a massive draw, hence his position as the top pro-wrestler in the world. If a wrestler is not having good matches and not helping his company make money, he's not particularly successful. I'm not suggesting Loki and Gladstone shouldn't nominate him, they are entitled to their vote. I'm entitled to think it's laughable too. Well, just to stick my bit in, I'd say Austin's rind work was part of what made him so big at the time, just as much so as his character which was off the chain. He knew just how to pace and work the style he did, when to do what to make them get out their seats. Thats just a big a part of it as anything I think, especially as it let him work around injury's and weak spots on his body. I'm sure some one will pick me up on what ring work is and how pacing and sociology and that aren't part of it or something, but for me those things make a match and Austin knew how to do them match in and match out, he knew how to make what he did matter. That's my take any way. Also on "Entertainment is fair criteria for a pro-wrestler but it has to come alongside having good matches" It could be argued, could it not, that if people have enjoyed Nash's match's then by virtue it must be a good match, as the whole aim is to entertain Any way, I'll go with Shamus, Cena, Miz and Bryan I tend to look at it as who contributed the most (not just money/ratings/buyrates/merchandise sales - I think it's valid to consider that stuff if you want but it's also a bit boring) to their company in terms of the actual product and then further than that who contributed the most to the industry overall so the entertainment part is the main bit I'm looking at. I think that can come in a number of ways but I'd tend to go for the guy who had the best combination in terms of good matches/promos/angles and interesting storylines and look at how much they contributed to them (Were they carried? Did they do their job well?). On the other hand even though it isn't all about drawing money I do think about whether those things actually affected the programmes they were on which is why I wouldn't have ever nominated someone like a Disco Inferno (who I was a fan of) over a Bret Hart in 1997 Santino over a John Cena in 2007, entertaining as they might be. If it was just about entertainment in terms of being funny or match quality then someone like Kaval might have even though all them were meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Or to put it another way if Cena hadn't had good matches that actually meant something this year and had a rule in place that meant none of his matches were allowed to have storylines he just went out there and wrestled for three minutes every other week he'd still be by far the biggest star in the business in terms of drawing money but I wouldn't have nominated him as 'Wrestler of the Year'. Edited January 4, 2011 by TheBigBoot
Paid Members Ron Simmons Posted January 6, 2011 Paid Members Posted January 6, 2011 The Miz CM Punk Sheamus Daniel Bryan Jack Swagger
Paid Members Sir Steve Redgrave Posted January 6, 2011 Paid Members Posted January 6, 2011 (edited) EDIT: Whoops, just read first post and realised polls closed yesterday. Apologies... Edited January 6, 2011 by UK-Joe
Paid Members CoreyVandal Posted January 7, 2011 Paid Members Posted January 7, 2011 CM Punk Daniel Bryan Prince Devitt
Recommended Posts