New Superman movie!

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I love superhero movies, this is probably my 5th or 6th thread about them but I always get pumped when there's a new one in production.

There's a new Superman reboot in developement, It's going to be produced by chris nolan and directed by zach snyder (Watchmen, 300)

This pleases me a great deal, watchmen was amazing (one of my faves ever and chris nolan is obviously wicked)

I really wanted them to go all out action and use a really tough muscular Supes after how gay all the other films have been and with snyder on board I thought that could happen but this makes it look like there'll be no such luck

article on Superman casting rumours

So, who would you like to see play him?

Thoughts on what you'd like to see from the movie?

• Paid Members

I was actually a big fan of Superman Returns, I liked the feel of it and don't think a Chris Nolan 'dark and gritty' make-over will actually do it any favours. I also thought Brandon Routh was very good so it's a shame they're not taking it any further.

• Moderators

No Richard Prior, or no Oz the wine critic playing an extra makes this as shit as the last one. Or pretty much every superhero film of the past 10 years. Fuck all this dark and brooding shit. I'd rather watch supergirl than all this shit we've been afforded.

No Richard Prior, or no Oz the wine critic playing an extra makes this as shit as the last one. Or pretty much every superhero film of the past 10 years. Fuck all this dark and brooding shit. I'd rather watch supergirl than all this shit we've been afforded.

Thank you, i too can't stand all these dark and depressing super hero films that are in vogue. The last one i enjoyed was "The Punisher" as that was just a fuck ton of badassery, no more no less.

• Moderators

Thank you, i too can't stand all these dark and depressing super hero films that are in vogue. The last one i enjoyed was "The Punisher" as that was just a fuck ton of badassery, no more no less.

To be honest, despite Kevin Nash, I didn't even like the Tom Jane Punisher.

The Dolph Lundgren one was full of badassery, none of this "You're a dirty goth, so I'll look after you, despite the fact I actually hate all adults".

But it's good to finally see someone agrees with not liking all this cod-burton dark for the sake of it shite. Superheroes are a preposterous optimistic concept, so why bury it under dark clouds and that shite?

i'm in two minds when it comes to all this "dark" stuff surrounding super hero movies. On the one hand there are some like Batman and Watchmen which i do think are a lot better with a darker, edgier spin on them and in the case of Watchmen it would be ridiculous without it but then there's also some like X-Men and Iron Man that are great because they're cheerier films that have alot more humor in them and so they're not as depressing. I think it's just a case of realising which ones work better with the darker feel to them and i don't for a second think that Superman is one that it would work for.

i'm in two minds when it comes to all this "dark" stuff surrounding super hero movies. On the one hand there are some like Batman and Watchmen which i do think are a lot better with a darker, edgier spin on them and in the case of Watchmen it would be ridiculous without it but then there's also some like X-Men and Iron Man that are great because they're cheerier films that have alot more humor in them and so they're not as depressing. I think it's just a case of realising which ones work better with the darker feel to them and i don't for a second think that Superman is one that it would work for.

I think it depends on the story too. For example, a dark superman with Doomsday as the villain would work supremely well as a villain that kills everything in sight and is almost unstoppable could only really work better in a dark context. I think it'd depend on the villain used though.

• Paid Members

I love superhero films but I'm not insane so I totally respect peoples' opinions to not be into them, I'm sure you're not a comic fan because anyone who was would see the awful Superman 3 as nothing more than a terrible Richard Pryor vehicle with Superman chucked in it.

Also I don't think they're all dark now, the Chris Nolan Batman films are but he's batman so he should be dark, Daredevil and Punisher are quite dark characters too. I don't think The Fantastic Four movies, the Spiderman trilogy, Superman Returns, The Incredible Hulk, the X men or Iron Man were particularly dark.

PS; I'd love to see Bizarro in this film, it's about time he turned up, Doomsday is a shit character and way too new school for my tastes.

• 3 months later...

Archived