Calling all Pokemon trainers

SpiralTap

I was wandering how many (if any) of the peeps that come on here played or even still play now any of the games from the Pokemon series?

Which versions have you played?

Which is your favourite version?

Have you played in any competitions?

What is/was your ultimate squad (of any generation)?

I'll start the sadness;

I have played almost every version except the latest one on wii, platinum and the new gold/silver versions. And none of the Ranger or dungeon games. I also hate the cards.

My favourite version is yellow

I have played in 2 competitions; The official Nintendo magazine tour (I did OK but not great) and the official 2000 tournament in Milton Keynes (I entered as a sub and lost in the 1st round, there was some questionable rulings around what could be used or not).

Ultimate squad was on Ruby version; Snorlax, Jolteon, Zangoose, Shrifty, Blazakin and Metagross or Gyarados

U go.....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I love the series and still play. Over the years I played (in order) Red, Yellow, Silver, Ruby & Pearl- so at least one from each of the four generations. I was really getting into HeartGold, until it became unplayable after the second gym (R4 rom, they all seem to be corrupted).

Looking forward to Black & White when they are released.

To me, there was only ever 151 pokemon. I didn't like any of the games after Red, Blue and Yellow (although i never actually played yellow)

If i ever still play it, i usually go for Fire Red, but i never use any of the later pokemon because i don't really like any of them and never really watched the cartoons/films that they were in.

My ultimate squad would have to be Charizard, Mewtwo, Snorlax, Dragonite, Raichu and Gengar

In fact, writing this has just made me want to pick it up and play it again. Unfortunately i play it on an emulator so never battle or trade (which does suck)

To me, there was only ever 151 pokemon. I didn't like any of the games after Red, Blue and Yellow (although i never actually played yellow)

If i ever still play it, i usually go for Fire Red, but i never use any of the later pokemon because i don't really like any of them and never really watched the cartoons/films that they were in.

My ultimate squad would have to be Charizard, Mewtwo, Snorlax, Dragonite, Raichu and Gengar

In fact, writing this has just made me want to pick it up and play it again. Unfortunately i play it on an emulator so never battle or trade (which does suck)

I couldnt agree more, the original generation was the best, yellow was the best of those because you could obtain all 3 starting pokemon and pikachu just by going through the story, plus Jesse and James chased you around and thats always fun.

If you wanted to play it properly you can pick up a gameboy colour or advance plus the games for pennies these days, you then have the option of getting the stadium games on N64 also for pennies, months of retro fun!

I like your squad, very similar to my 1st gen choices but Mewtwo isnt allowed in official competition so you may have toi think of an alternate, my 1st gen squad was; Snorlax, Joleon, Articuno, Zapdos, Gengar and Lapras. However if one has to discound those classed as 'Legendary' then I would replace them with Charizard and Dragonite.

I couldnt agree more, the original generation was the best, yellow was the best of those because you could obtain all 3 starting pokemon and pikachu just by going through the story, plus Jesse and James chased you around and thats always fun.

If you wanted to play it properly you can pick up a gameboy colour or advance plus the games for pennies these days, you then have the option of getting the stadium games on N64 also for pennies, months of retro fun!

I like your squad, very similar to my 1st gen choices but Mewtwo isnt allowed in official competition so you may have toi think of an alternate, my 1st gen squad was; Snorlax, Joleon, Articuno, Zapdos, Gengar and Lapras. However if one has to discound those classed as 'Legendary' then I would replace them with Charizard and Dragonite.

Ah. I've never done any competitions so I did not know that. My replacement for Mewtwo would be Kadabra then, mainly coz that's who usually gets sacrificed for Mewtwo when I get it. I say Kadabra because I never managed to trade him to get him to evolve :-(

I actually bought a Fire Red cartridges while ago, but when I linked it up with another gameboy advance it managed to wipe my game somehow, which pissed me off at great measures obviously, so I always stuck to the emulator

I was never a big Pokemon fan, but I did watch the first film at the cinema. And I had some of the cards. Never really played the games, but I did watch the cartoon. And I was about sixteen or seventeen and my mates at school watched it as well, must have been in an ironic way but I don't remember it being. Did a play in assembly where I called for my mate to go and buy a Pokemon game with me -- I think it was the yellow one that was new out at the time -- and he attacked me and walked off, because he was being bullied and took it out on his weaker, nerdier friend. Then I did "Awww, here it goes!" from Kenan & Kel.

Also, in a different assembly play, I was the voice of God that the fourth wise man (he didn't turn up to the birth of Jesus, I can't remember why) heard before he died. My voice of God was the Jigglypuff song. They banned me from doing the assembly plays after that one.

To fucking rights i still love it, some of my happiest childhood memories revolve around Pokemon. I loved everything about it, the TV series, the trading cards, the games, the movies, etc, etc.

I remember a few years ago when i bought my mates Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance off of him with Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal and Ruby for

• Paid Members

Pity me, for I am Pokemons bitch. Between Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Diamond and Pearl I have wasted over 1,200 hours of my life. I don't have my DS on me at the moment but I believe my pokedex currently stands at 488. What is made sadder is the fact that being a 27 year old man, not many of my friends share my sad obsession and therefore most trading goes on between myself between DS', or transfers from other games. I've also used the trading forums on Serebii.net an awful lot, especially to get some of the rare event only Pokemon such as Mew, Darkrai, Lugia, Jirachi and Deoxys.

So far I have resisted getting Heart Gold and Soul Silver, I'm trying to cut back.....but eventually it'll get me again. And when Black and White comes out, im fucked.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the water type in particular is overstocked with filler as the series goes on. One I thought was particularly shoddy was Finneon - > Lumineon. They just look like generic marine fish. They haven't really Pok

• Paid Members

You're such an enabler JLM :(

I actually got really annoyed when I found out that so many of the legendaries were available in HG / SS. I'd worked so hard to train good pokemon up to level 100 to trade them for the likes of Lugia, (the Pokemon equivalent of sucking cock on the street for quick cash) so to have them available so easily is a kick in the balls.

Are you into advanced training? EV training and cross breeding and such?

Archived