The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, FLips said:

Yeah sorry there's so many SFIIs I confuse them. I basically want the full roster but with the speed of Turbo. For me, both updated console versions of SFII are disappointing. You either get the better gameplay and weaker roster or the better roster and duller gameplay. If there's a modded copy that gets me both I'll go for that.

I don't have the SNES version of Alpha 2 but I've played it before it and didn't blow me away. I remember long load times and it not being as good as it's next gen counterparts.

I remember Maximillian Dood playing an "enhanced" version of the SNES port on his channel which was pretty special. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Super Street fighter II' Reload is a SNES ROM hack that boosts the speeds to Turbo. I can't say how good it is myself but I hear it's pretty spot on.

Yeah that looks like what I'm after but unfortunately doesn't seem to have a physical version

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Disaster with Final Fantasy III!

In a classic case of just my luck, it turns out that running NTSC games on a PAL console, even when put onto a proper cartridge and everything still can suffer from the old 50hz/60hz issue. I should have known better really.

Typically, after a little research into the games I have only Final Fantasy is effected by it in any sort of big way. Other bigger games like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger only have issues with mistimed sound effects during some cutscenes due to them being tied to physical actions in the game and it running 5/6 speed.
Final Fantasy however is notorious for two major glitches, one that I encountered was that randomly your menus will go black and you can't see the text properly as it's missing or glitched. This can be reset by having a random encounter but happens frequently.
The other major glitch is the game will crash when it gets to a certain point in the ending cutscene.

So I find myself at a bit of a crossroads. I can either finish the game as is, and struggle with the random menu glitches then watch the ending on Youtube, or I could swap back to the fanhacked Japanese version which shouldn't have the same errors but is less authentic. My third option, and one I will consider in the future is to look into getting a modded 50/60hz switch SNES so I won't run into this issue at all with any game, and in the meantime leave FF6 and move onto maybe Chrono Trigger instead.

Edited by FLips

I had the urge to boot up Deus Ex: Invisible War of all games, not any of the far better rated titles in the series. It's still a very solid Im-Sim and I don't think the console streamlining is half as bad as many make it out to be, it's just the original is so damn good and possibly the peak of an entire genre (I think Prey might have that title for me, now). I'm going Corporate lapdog for a change, stealthy but happy to kill with a silenced pistol or sniper rifle.

I feel like this type of game is pretty much dead for now because it's not the billion selling AAA genre, both Arkane and Eidos Montreal have been pushed away from it or gutted.

On 8/13/2024 at 1:23 PM, Merzbow said:

I had the urge to boot up Deus Ex: Invisible War of all games, not any of the far better rated titles in the series. It's still a very solid Im-Sim and I don't think the console streamlining is half as bad as many make it out to be, it's just the original is so damn good and possibly the peak of an entire genre (I think Prey might have that title for me, now). I'm going Corporate lapdog for a change, stealthy but happy to kill with a silenced pistol or sniper rifle.

I feel like this type of game is pretty much dead for now because it's not the billion selling AAA genre, both Arkane and Eidos Montreal have been pushed away from it or gutted.

Double post but this game is even more fun as a bot dominating manic, some thugs wanted 100 credits from me so I told them I was going to the ATM to withdraw cash.. but instead I hacked a WTO police bot and gunned them all down with it's minigun.

So I'm starting a new series on my channel called "Unfinished Business" 

The premises being I reminisce over retro games that I love but for whatever reason, I've never been able to complete 

I got plenty of games I'll be doing videos of including castlevania, ninja Gaiden, side arms and a load more ideas

However I'm starting with a great game that I'm never beaten and I try to right that wrong 

Rastan

• Paid Members

Have you reuploaded it? I watched it a few days ago. It's a great idea for a series of videos. 

Any Metroid games in the docket? Quake or other boomer shooters? I try and stay up to date with your videos. 

1 hour ago, Jazzy G said:

Have you reuploaded it? I watched it a few days ago. It's a great idea for a series of videos. 

Any Metroid games in the docket? Quake or other boomer shooters? I try and stay up to date with your videos. 

Just changed the thumbnail a few times to try and gain traction 

Metroid on Nes could definitely be added to the list 

Doom too

Castlevania is next as I'm working on that now

Appreciate the support ?

• Paid Members

I completed Rastan a few years ago. I think it was the first arcade game I finished without continuing, just before Cabal. Tried beating them both again recently - no idea how I beat them first time round!

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I completed Rastan a few years ago. I think it was the first arcade game I finished without continuing, just before Cabal. Tried beating them both again recently - no idea how I beat them first time round!

You sir deserve a medal 

• Paid Members

Rastan was superb, from an era of "strongman/barbarian" hero games. Remember Karnov? What were that all about, eh? Also, Rygar, which had a serviceable PS2 remake.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Rastan was superb, from an era of "strongman/barbarian" hero games. Remember Karnov? What were that all about, eh? Also, Rygar, which had a serviceable PS2 remake.

Rygar was really good but I never got that far on it - that being said, I didn't put the years into it that I did with Rastan.

• Paid Members
Just now, Big Bully Busick said:

Karnov for some odd reason ended up at a kind of mascot for Data East

Making cameos in various games 

Bad Dudes the most prominent and he even got a 1 on 1 fighter 

Very odd but I did love his original arcade game 

And he was a villain more often than he was a hero, as well. Very odd.