The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Following on from the great Sega Rally documentary by Pandamonium. YouTube pushed this Ridge Racer documentary my way. Ridge Racer was the reason I purchased a Playstation on release day and remains a firm favourite of mine. The documentary is very nicely done and contains a lot of information that I was surprised I didn't know.

Digital Foundry have also tackled the Ridge Racer saga and as ever have been very thorough with their effort.

Both are we worth watching.

• Paid Members

Ridge Racer on PSP has been in my top 5 games of all time for years. The more I think about it, the harder I find not to consider it my number 1 game ever. I still play it often before going to bed, it’s pretty much a perfect title.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah, he did keep mentioning that he preferred the grip cars/settings of the later games. He seems to have missed the point of the game. Although he did mention that the basic digital controls of the Playstation weren't to his liking. He much preferred the analogue dexterity that controllers like the Negcon allowed. 

He did speak highly  of Ridge Racer 5 and PsP Ridge. I haven't played either of those two. They look amazing.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

SNK Just announced at EVO that SNK Vs Capcom: SVC Chaos is out now on Steam, and arrives on Switch and PS4 next week. Naturally the Internet is now clamouring for a re-release of Capcom Vs SNK 2, or even the announcement of a Capcom Vs SNK 3. I suspect what will more likely happen in more KOF Characters as DLC in Street Fighter 6, and maybe a Capcom character, or some kind of Capcom themed team (Ryu, Ken and Sean or Gouken? Chunli, Yun & Yang? A Darkstalkers team? ) for King Of Fighters XV.  Anyway, here's a trailer. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Is EVO part of the eSports World Cup or a separate event? I briefly clicked on a link to a Tekken Twitch stream, yesterday, Which I think was from EVO. I'll have to chase it down.

https://www.evo.gg/

Looks like Evo is a standalone Fighting game tournament. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even get into the qualifying rounds with my skills. Sadly IK+ doesn't seem to be on their list of games.

I got a bunch of cool IK+ T-shirts from Seven Squared.

17215477754097101340171711659482.jpg

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

I think the Street Fighter and Tekken tournaments are part of the Capcom and Tekken Pro Tours respectively. The winner of Street Fighter gets a spot in the Capcom Cup at the end of the year. There are usually lots of side tournaments as well that can be interesting. Third Strike is on this year and they've managed to get it running on arcade hardware. Today is finals day, and I know it used to be on ESPN, as they had some strict rules about which costumes you could pick for certain characters. 

• Paid Members

Both

15 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

EVO is usually it's own thing iirc but it seems to be going on around the same time this year, I think they both share some big sponsors but it's not officially a joint thing.

Both events are running at the same time. The eSports WC, emanating from Saudi, is on its 4th week now. Whereas Evo commenced this weekend, in Vegas.

EWC is more of a team sports event. With established eSports teams taking part in various games challenges. I think evo is different. In that it's a tournament for individuals.

If you like watching people play video games. There's plenty to watch at the moment.

• Paid Members

Summer Games Done Quick starts in a couple of weeks as well. That's usually some good watching. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Summer Games Done Quick starts in a couple of weeks as well. That's usually some good watching. 

Summer Games Done Quick finished back on July 6th.

• Paid Members

Oops. I also ays thought it was August for some reason. Ah well, I can watch them back on YouTube. 

44 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Did I see the Andre (The Giant) character from Final Fight in that video?

Hugo you mean? He’s been in various Capcom fighting games.

I think the best ever clip of a Hugo in fighting games history has to be Max’s boss rage video for Ultra Street Fighter IV

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BigJag said:

Did I see the Andre (The Giant) character from Final Fight in that video?

It's Hugo from Street Fighter 3, but he is at least related to, if not the same guy as Andore from Final Fight given how far apart the games happen in terms of the in universe timeline.