The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

2 minutes ago, FLips said:

@Carbomb (or anyone else really) are there any good wrestling games outside of Smackdown 1 and 2 on the PS1?

I’m looking more in the spirit of No Mercy/Fire Pro or something unique than I am the awful Acclaim games.

Japanese exclusives are fine, my PS1 should play them.

WCW vrs the World was always my favourite. It's one of the earlier PS1 Wrestling titles, and gameplay wise it's not as good as games that came later in the consoles era, but it's definitely a different type of game and the roster is a lot of fun. As well as WCW talent there are some semi fictional characters but based on actual wrestlers (in the same way as Pro Evo had teams like "Man Red")

Weird, but worth checking out. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, FLips said:

@Carbomb (or anyone else really) are there any good wrestling games outside of Smackdown 1 and 2 on the PS1?

I’m looking more in the spirit of No Mercy/Fire Pro or something unique than I am the awful Acclaim games.

Japanese exclusives are fine, my PS1 should play them.

Ah, sorry - only Japanese wrestling game I ever had on the PS1 was SD2. Giant Gram (the previous instalment to GG2000) was the first Japanese wrestling game I owned, which was also on DC. Most of my Japanese wrestling games are on DC or later.

EDIT: ah, I've misunderstood the question! I'd have to echo the recommendation for wCw vs. The World. Only downside to it is that it has no CAW mode, but it's decent.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

Champion Wrestler is a really cool 2D Japanese exclusive, it's one I don't hear even the diehards talk about. Taito wanted their own Fire Pro it seems.

Never heard of it! Sounds good though - 2Ds usually give you a great range of extra modes and moves that would otherwise be taken by graphics in a 3D.

• Paid Members

Thanks all. I’ve got wCw vs The World and Champion Wrestler downloaded. I also did a search and found there is a Fire Pro G so got that too. I’m all set for wrestling games!

wCw vrs The World has for me, the best introduction reel of any Wrestling game I've played and at the time it was something else. "The world" consists of stars from AJPW, NJPW, UWF, FMW and Michinoku, among others. I think I'm right in saying they all had their proper names in the Japanese version but when it was released in the west, they were changed due to licensing. Working out who's who is was entertaining but some of them are pretty impossible. There is a list on the games wiki page with all the details though. Obviously it looks pretty ropey now, but in the mid 90s this was a bit of lesser known gem. Any game that features Sabu, Bruiser Brody and Taka Michinoku has to be worth a look at least. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

wCw vrs The World has for me, the best introduction reel of any Wrestling game I've played and at the time it was something else. "The world" consists of stars from AJPW, NJPW, UWF, FMW and Michinoku, among others. I think I'm right in saying they all had their proper names in the Japanese version but when it was released in the west, they were changed due to licensing. Working out who's who is was entertaining but some of them are pretty impossible. There is a list on the games wiki page with all the details though. Obviously it looks pretty ropey now, but in the mid 90s this was a bit of lesser known gem. Any game that features Sabu, Bruiser Brody and Taka Michinoku has to be worth a look at least. 

Excited to play it, it looks like the N64 Aki games which is exactly what I wanted.

In other news my knockoff Castlevania 3 from AliExpress finally arrived. Really happy with it. The differences in quality of cartridge are negligable with the fake being only very slightly darker (I imagine as it hasn’t had chance to fade like the legit carts) and having a glossier label as most fakes do and a different back label. The weight is oddly heavier but makes it feel actually a sturdier quality.

Gameplay wise though it’s 100% perfect and required no region changing as the listing said, so maybe they looked at my address and guessed I’d need PAL.

Better than any of the emulated versions I’ve been practicing on in the meantime. For £17 all included I can’t complain at all. Thrilled with it.

73711569058__C6A01869-DD77-428A-A979-D68B37A6E9A1.thumb.jpeg.c0fbd63ce4058f900306de0cbe409cfe.jpeg

RenderedImage.thumb.jpeg.2c5969a2c5f2296eb3cc1762bfd652f6.jpeg

RenderedImage.thumb.jpeg.111adc45433bf2e9d0f7fd0191d08f0e.jpeg

1 hour ago, FLips said:

Excited to play it, it looks like the N64 Aki games which is exactly what I wanted.

That's a good observation actually. I never realised this before but the developer of wCw vrs The World was "The Man Breeze". In 1997 they began developing under the AKI banner, so it is the same firm. 

I'm really tempted to get a slice of that cartridge action. I've got NES in the loft with a boatload of games, but there were a few I didn't get that I wouldn't mind playing on the original console. You'd struggle to tell the difference unless you were looking, even the texture of the plastic looks spot on. 

• Paid Members

I had a quick go of Champion Wrestler (I’m burning and testing 31 games in alphabetical order so might be a while til I get to WCW) and it’s brill. It’s kind of like the presentation/camera angle of WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade but with the gameplay close to a Fire Pro. Has a fab roster full of recognisable names too that you usually see show up in these games like The Steiners, Stan Hansen and so on.

I’ll be playing more later at some point but had a lot of fun with it. Thanks for the recommendation @Merzbow

It's got more pace than Fire Pro, I think because Taito were far more arcade based in general that some of that has followed over even though it's a simulation style game. But yeah the fake characters are spot on and if you move through the weird costume colours you'll always find some legit ones in there. Hayabusa has a fair few spot on ones, always happy to see him in a game and Sabu!

I'll admit that I'd never heard of Champion Wrestler, and I'm into old Wrestling games. I'm surprised as I watched a couple of videos and it looks decent, good pace and fluidity, and the presentation looks great. Do we know if it got a console release at the time? 

Back then, the Acclaim games are the ones I remember most but not for the right reasons. As Flips touched on, they had some truly lamentable efforts. Long before the likes of In Your House and Warzone, they were stinking up consoles with games like "Wrestlemania" and "Steel Cage Challenge". There were some real turkeys. Just look at the state of this - 

spacer.png

I'd have happily swapped this shit for Champion Wrestler. I know it's the NES, but it's amazing they're both 1989 games.