The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

You can play Gamecube games on the Wii? I never knew that!

Yup. Fully designed to be backwards compatible. No slowdown in games or odd bugs as far as I'm aware. The flap on top of the Wii opens up to reveal 4 GC control ports and 2 memory card ports.

I think you need to check your individual wiis as I believe some of the later models had gamecube features removed. Or am I talking rubbish?

You can play Gamecube games on the Wii? I never knew that!

Yup. Fully designed to be backwards compatible. No slowdown in games or odd bugs as far as I'm aware. The flap on top of the Wii opens up to reveal 4 GC control ports and 2 memory card ports.

I think you need to check your individual wiis as I believe some of the later models had gamecube features removed. Or am I talking rubbish?

This is true. Starting from the Mario & Sonic blue Wii they decided to scrap WiFi and Gamecube features :/

Yeah, I second that. If you're going for a cheap old console that just bombards you with classic first party titles, Gamecube is the one. Even off the top of my head it has -

Pikmin 1, 2

Zelda Wind Waker

Zelda Twilight Princess

Mario Kart Double Dash

Smash Bros Melee

Paper Mario 1000 Year Door

F-Zero GX

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Sunshine

Tales of Symphonia

Animal Crossing

Mario Party 4, 5, 6

Metroid Prime 1, 2

Then if you're after updated/3rd party stuff, it has the exclusive remake of Resident Evil 1, which is by far the best version of that game. It also had 2, 3, 0 and (I think) Code Veronica

Soul Calibur 2, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (again, the best version of MGS 1 and 2), Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Mega Collection, and Resident Evil 4.

Fuck, when you list them off like that it was just an amazing little console wasn't it?

And Beyond Good and Evil. Absolutely cracking game, although it's a bark to get hold of these days.

I can never pick between SNES, N64 and GC for my favourite console, there's just so many great games for all of them, and so many personal memories. I can't imagine not having all three set up.

Yeah, I second that. If you're going for a cheap old console that just bombards you with classic first party titles, Gamecube is the one. Even off the top of my head it has -

Pikmin 1, 2

Zelda Wind Waker

Zelda Twilight Princess

Mario Kart Double Dash

Smash Bros Melee

Paper Mario 1000 Year Door

F-Zero GX

Luigi's Mansion

Mario Sunshine

Tales of Symphonia

Animal Crossing

Mario Party 4, 5, 6

Metroid Prime 1, 2

Then if you're after updated/3rd party stuff, it has the exclusive remake of Resident Evil 1, which is by far the best version of that game. It also had 2, 3, 0 and (I think) Code Veronica

Soul Calibur 2, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (again, the best version of MGS 1 and 2), Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Mega Collection, and Resident Evil 4.

Fuck, when you list them off like that it was just an amazing little console wasn't it?

And Beyond Good and Evil. Absolutely cracking game, although it's a bark to get hold of these days.

I can never pick between SNES, N64 and GC for my favourite console, there's just so many great games for all of them, and so many personal memories. I can't imagine not having all three set up.

BG&E is fantastic, it's not difficult to get a hold of though. You can get it for around

Ah, that's the Xbox version for 11 quid which i'll probably be getting as a last resort.

Carboots are always the best bet but there's none by me until the spring, I managed to grab a boxed Amiga 600 with a ton of games (pirated and real) for a fiver a couple of summers ago. Charity shops are pretty much useless around here, you'll find 20 copies of FIFA 01/02/03 etc but not much else although, I did find a copy of American Wasteland for a quid yesterday to finish my Tony Hawk collection.

• Paid Members
Does anyone know of any good sites not called Ebay to get retro games at a decent price, I'm after Shenmue 2 but their prices seems a little too high for what I can afford and no-one on AVForums seems to have a copy for sale.

I have a sealed PAL Dreamcast copy. Never came close to completing Shenmue 1, so have no emotional attachment to it, but have no idea what would really be a fair price

Does anyone know of any good sites not called Ebay to get retro games at a decent price, I'm after Shenmue 2 but their prices seems a little too high for what I can afford and no-one on AVForums seems to have a copy for sale.

I have a sealed PAL Dreamcast copy. Never came close to completing Shenmue 1, so have no emotional attachment to it, but have no idea what would really be a fair price

For real? That's a nice item to have, and will fetch you easily the nice side of