The 2010 UKFF UK50(+) - Results

Big Benny HG

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could lead to Surf Grafitti getting booked more. Promoters might want to have him on their show just for a laugh, and also, the perfect gimmick....he could come to the ring with 4 policemen, have one in each corner and everytime a fan boos or heckles him the policeman can go over and have a quiet word with that fan.

• Paid Members

No. 19 - Liam Thomson

Score: 166 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 0

2009 ranking: 33rd

2008 ranking: 21st

2007 ranking: not listed

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: not listed

thomson.jpg

Who is he?

Scottish wrestler, well-known for his appearances in BCW and PBW, who has also had a run in SWA and in England and wider Europe as one half of Fight Club with Kid Fite. Known as the "Bad Boy", Thomson appears in the UKFF UK50 for the 3rd time, this year achieving his highest ever ranking.....

In PBW, Liam Thomson went on a tear. He won a 4-way over rookies in September, beat former champion Wolfgang at the annual "Maximum Impact" supershow in October, bested both BT Gunn and Darkside in December and Highlander in February and Sean South in March. His only defeat came in tag team action, when he and Danish star Chaos fell to tag champions High Energy (no, not THAT High Energy), but that result was soon rectified when Thomson and Noam Dar, known as The Final Cut, beat High Energy for the belts in May. To date, they remain the reigning champions.....

In SWA, Thomson was one of 5 men to take part in the Money In The Bank Scramble bout at the Glasgow supershow "The Gathering III", holding control for most of the time limit before Scott Renwick scored a fall right at the end which proved decisive..... In March, Thomson fell to BT Gunn in the first round of the tournament to crown a new NWA UK Heavyweight Champion. He had his eyes on other gold, though, as he and his agent Charles Boddington associated themselves with heel co-owner Eric Canyon in his power struggle with Peter Murphy. As such, Thomson faced Renwick for the NWA Scottish Heavyweight Title in the main event of May's Uddingston show. The bout ended in chaos when the roster, representing the warring Canyon and Murphy factions, ran out for a mass brawl. The pair were rematched at "Battlezone" just after the end of this year's UKFF UK50 period, which again ended with no clear winner when fellow-Canyon loyalist Red Lightning ran out to attack Renwick. Damien O'Connor ran out to make the save, and Thomson and Lightning won the tag match which immediately followed. Later that night, during the Battlezone match itself (30-man rumble), Thomson refused to join the action and eliminated himself. He is already due a championship rematch with Renwick.....

In BCW, Thomson was the man chosen to face former WWE and ROH star Paul London at their big annual year-ending "No Blood, No Sympthay" event in Kilmarnock. Indeed, it was Thomson that won, picking up the biggest victory of his career. The very next night in East Kilbride, Thomson challenged Darkside for the BCW Heavyweight Title in the main event, coming out on the losing end..... When BCW returned in 2010, Thomson beat Marty Scurll, Andy Anderson and BT Gunn in February, March and April respectively, before Gunn got his win back in May. When BCW returned to Kilmarnock in June, he was matched with England's exported TNA star Douglas Williams. Thomson went down to defeat, but it was clear the regard in which Thomson's standing was now held by all.....

Thomson's exploits have not been limited to his native Scotland, as he has made frequent appearances in England during the 2010 UKFF UK50 period. In 1PW, Thomson and Kid Fite won the Tag Team Championship by defeating Project Ego (Martin Kirby and Kris Travis) in a good match at November's "4th Anniversary Show", then proceded to be granted the big match against TNA Wrestling's Beer Money Inc. (James Storm and Robert Roode) at the March event at Liverpool Olympia..... Thomson was one of the men who competed in PW101's No Gravity Required match (TLC elimination match) in November, and contested a corking match with Pac at 3CW's 6th anniversary to earn a future 3CW Heavyweight Championship match against El Ligero, currently scheduled for October's "Darkest Deeds VII" in Billingham.....

What did the UKFF think?

"If this guy was 6 inches taller he'd be EVERYWHERE. He is damn near the perfect wrestler. Technically sound. Good physique. Great great matches. PBW, BCW, SWA, ICW, etc. he's literally everywhere in Scotland and thats great news"

"One of the best all out workers I have seen"

"Incredibly smooth and solid in the ring, another who looks like they belong in between the ropes and is completely at home in front of any audience"

"Whilst I rate Kid Fite to be a very good wrestler and 2 years ago I think he would have got this place, recently I've seen a different side to Liam and definitely think he's gone onto become the better of the two"

"Best Scottish worker bar none"

"Great year for Fight Club in 1PW, and loving him and Dar as a team in Scotland"

"Great heel and seems to be able to have a good match with anyone"

"Great all-rounder despite lacking a bit of size, technically fantastic"

"Arguably Scotland's 2nd best wrestler, in my opinion"

"Adaptable, talented, and puts on main event quality matches with every outing"

"If ever there was a guy who screamed "I'm better than this shit" its Liam Thomson. The guy is only used as a tag wrestler in PBW, he's currently feuding with a trainee in BCW and he's still not taken the belt off Scott Renwick in SWA and it looks likely that he won't be either! Its strange. I'm still waiting for someone to pull the trigger with Thomson as he is fucking excellent. Would like to see him take SWA Title and get used better elsewhere"

"Really nasty piece of work, really gets the crowd against him. A lot of Pro-Scottish / Anti-English mic work gets the desired effect"

"Skilled worker"

"I could talk about Liam until the cows come home. His routine is excellent. I've seen him tagging and in singles and each time its been close to perfect. Definitely one of the best all-rounders in Scotland. I believe his height stops him from getting the bookings (and title's) that he deserves, but he's way better than the guys in the top spots in Scotland right now bar Darkside. I'd actually be surprised if he doesn't take SWA and BCW titles this year as he's been flirting with the top spots. If he had the ability to be a decent face I'd have him even higher"

"Probably would have been higher if he had more opponents like Doug Williams to work with! He's always been a steady hand and it's clear how good he is, but he's had a bit of an unspectacular spell of things"

"Love seeing him team with Fite"

• Paid Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejqmsCspXpU...player_embedded

The best bit is at 5:49 he say's"call for your mum she's over there call for help"

:laugh:

Granted, I only watched a bit of it, but the black guys got a great look and he's hilarious. "He's a skeleton" could catch on as catchphrase. Can anyone tell me if this guy is any good or not? I can only judge him on this clip, and I'm blinded by the brillance of the skeleton comment to actually judge the match. Is he any good? He had a great "like I'd put these fuckers over" look on his face as his hand was raised as well.

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

The best bit is at 5:49 he say's"call for your mum she's over there call for help"

Granted, I only watched a bit of it, but the black guys got a great look and he's hilarious. "He's a skeleton" could catch on as catchphrase. Can anyone tell me if this guy is any good or not? I can only judge him on this clip, and I'm blinded by the brillance of the skeleton comment to actually judge the match. Is he any good?

he has been featured on this countdown already... the mighty Val Kabious!

Edited by Whiskey_Jim

• Paid Members

Granted, I only watched a bit of it, but the black guys got a great look and he's hilarious. "He's a skeleton" could catch on as catchphrase. Can anyone tell me if this guy is any good or not? I can only judge him on this clip, and I'm blinded by the brillance of the skeleton comment to actually judge the match. Is he any good?

he has been featured on this countdown already... the might Val Kabious!

Fucking awesome. You see the power of this list? I'm not a big British Wrestling fan, but this guy entertained me. I plan on checking him out, if for nothing other than his selection of insults directed at his opponents.

Fucking awesome. You see the power of this list? I'm not a big British Wrestling fan, but this guy entertained me. I plan on checking him out, if for nothing other than his selection of insults directed at his opponents.

to be fair Surf carried him in that match.

I concur, the Man is an absolute beast.

• Paid Members

No. 18 - Joel Redman

Score: 188 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 0

2009 ranking: 14th

2008 ranking: 39th

2007 ranking: not listed

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: not listed

redmank.jpg

Who is he?

Devon-based protege of Mark Sloan, who has forged a name for himself in IPW:UK, 4FW, Ravenhill Promotions and his own DWA. Best known to UK fans over the last couple of years for being a member of The Thrillers (with Mark Haskins, Ricky Hype, Iestyn Rees and Gilligan Gordon), the "Physical Specimen" makes his 3rd consecutive UKFF UK50 appearance, though does fall 4 places this year.....

In IPW:UK, Redman and Mark Haskins were coming off their UK Match of the Year tag title loss to the LDRS of the New School (Zack Sabre Jr and Marty Scurll), and faced the new champions in a rematch to main event "Summer Sizzler" in July 2009. Another fantastic, all-action tag classic saw both teams battle back-and-forth, before the blatant interference of Thrillers manager Gilligan Gordon caused an unsatisfactory disqualification. With the issue still to be resolved between the two teams (and the Thrillers still in possession of one of the championship belts, since the earlier tag loss had been an unannounced surprise), a deciding bout was scheduled for the "5th Anniversary Show" in September, with the Tables, Ladders and Chairs stipulation which has become a regular feature of the annual event. At that show, the two teams again went on last and tore the house down in a captivating and engrossing stunt-based cracker. At one point, Redman even blasted Sabre Jr with a tombstone piledriver from the top rope onto two standing chairs, though Redman and Haskins came out the losers as Zack and Marty snatched the belts to become the Undisputed British Tag Team Champions.....

Following the tag defeat, Redman and Haskins seemingly headed down separate paths. At "Brawl at the Hall" in November, Redman was matched with veteran technical wizard James Mason. With Redman's manager Gordon absent (supposedly out scouting and recruiting new talent for The Thrillers), the two put on a splendid athletic pro wrestling match with Redman displaying none of the heel tendancies that he had become known for in IPW:UK over the past 3 years. More so, when Mason scored the win, a gracious Redman offered his hand to James as a sign of respect and congratulations, very much a departure from the Redman fans knew..... The old Redman was back with a vengeance the following month in Swanley, however, as he first reverted to his old ways in defeat to "Wonderkid" Jonny Storm, then returned later in the night to assist stablemate Ricky Hype in his bout against Leroy Kincaide, leading to the DQ finish in that bout.... Easter weekend 2010 was a busy one for Redman. First, Joel pinned former IPW:UK Champion Martin Stone in the semi-main event of "Total Wipeout" in Swanley. The next day, he clashed with Leroy Kincaide in three separate matches: twice on a holiday camp show held in the afternoon, and then again in a singles rankings bout as part of the massive "Sittingbourne Spectacular 2010" held that evening in, erm, Sittingbourne. Leroy scored the win.....

When IPW:UK returned to Sittingbourne for "Unfinished Business" in June, Redman fought "Anarchist" Doug Williams. Before the bout, Gilligan Gordon warned Redman that, following a series of big Sittingbourne singles losses, he was expecting a win. He also warned Redman about trying to appeal to the fans by fighting clean and respecting his opponents. The bout itself was another excellent technical wrestling singles bout, with the pair exchanging the advantage hold-for-hold. It was apparent throughout that Redman was choosing to ignore the advice of his manager and try to wrestle the match his way, as a pure, athletic sporting contest. After Redman lost again, and again showed respect for his opponent, Gordon flipped out, slapping Joel across the face. Just as the corwd was begging Redman to murder Gilligan, Joel was attacked by the returning (and his former DWA opponent) James Tighe, who was revealed to be Gilligan's replacement for Redman in The Thrillers. Redman's issue with Gordon/Tighe has played out over subsequent IPW:UK shows in 2010.....

In his own Devon Wrestling Association, Redman continued his long-running feud with protege Nick Riley, defeating him in a Ladder Match in November for the DWA Trophy, thanks to outside interference. Following successful defences against James Tighe, Marcus Brash and Johnny Kidd and more run-ins with Riley over subsequent shows, Redman was matched with Riley again for a final showdown in May, with the gimmick being that it was a steel cage bout, with tables, ladders and chairs inside. That night, Riley finally defeated the villanous Redman to take the DWA Trophy..... Redman lost to James Mason again shortly after, before losing his Trophy rematch to Riley in a 3-way which also featured UK Dominator.....

What did the UKFF think?

"If there was a definition of intense and dedicated it would be Joel. A brilliant wrestler, best look in the UK, and a bloody nice chap"

"Improved so much in the last year, great technician, a true physical specimen"

"Outstanding look, great in the ring, a superior trainer"

"Amazing look, more experience will make him great"

"Great look, great offence, great ability. Improves with every passing minute"

"Time for him to hit the big time"

"His match with James Mason for DWA in Tiverton had the whole crowd on its feet, tremendous. Very consistent"

"When I watched this guy for the first time two words came to mind: "Total Package". Not only is he incredible in the ring but he looks the part. So entertaining and doesn't just put himself over but puts over all his oppenents and makes them looks just as good as him"

"Great performances wherever I

Hmmm. 18 is good spot, but I'm very surprised Joel didn't make the top ten this year. He has his weaknesses, for sure, but his strengths are numerous and I doubt many people are as consistent in the whole country.

Joel Redman should have easily made the top 10.

I think we are now down to wrestlers who should be in the top 10 but probably aren't in due to a lack of exposure around the country. A good example being joel redman who has done great things for more southern and london based companies hasn't really done much i the north. Which i guess may be a recurring theme for the next 7 on the list